Horrible tastes

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tay al-Arz

Horrible tastes

Post by Tay al-Arz »

I started my journey through Dune with an audio-book torrent that I found on piratebay, I wanted to check it out because on an episode of spongebob I watched where they hunt a giant worm there is a reference to dune.

The earliest book in terms of historical placement in the duneiverse that was included in the torrent was a horribly read recording of house atreides, so unknowingly I started there. Now, as I had no clue what I was listening to, I enjoyed it, and enjoyed all of the house prequels. I came into Dune with a more solid understanding of the events that had lead up to it (even though I could have inferred some of the things, and others were possibly contradictory) and I think I enjoyed Dune more than I would have, had it been the book I started with.

I listened through Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of dune, all in a streak of sci-fi zen. When I listened to God Emperor of Dune I spent the entire story underwater swimming with a pair of waterproof headphones in my ears. I tried to listen to Heretics of Dune, but the time skip was more jarring than I was anticipating and I had difficulty getting into the story. About a year later I finally got my brother to check out the series after constant prodding, he decided to start with the earliest part of the series, so I went to track it down and to my surprise I found that there was a trilogy of the Butlerian Jihad. I took my chances and we went through the first of the trilogy together while on trans-atlantic flights. I loved it, he loved it (despite having no clue of the potential significance of the families and characters being introduced) and everything seemed more fleshed out and developed.

Recently I gritted my teeth and decided to finish the series and stop teasing myself about how it all ended, I liked heretics well enough, Teg makes up for some of the lacking intensity of the previous works by FH, and I could tolerate chapterhouse though it is by no means my favorite.

When I listened to Sandworms of Dune I expected something... I don't know any more, how can I love everything from both FH, and the bastardized canon of KJA+BH and not enjoy the ending? Why would they do this to me? Its alright, I never need to look at Sandworms again, but I will continue to enjoy House Harkonnen while playing some dune legacy.

Anyway, I'm a long time lurker, I stumbled upon this place once a while back and have checked it occasionally for figuring out the canonicity of certain things, but I was hesitant to make an account because I wanted to avoid spoilers, this is no longer an issue, and I am ready to join the conversation.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Horrible tastes

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome!!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Hey Tay, welcome! It's always interesting to hear the opinions from people who started out with the preqs.
Tay al-Arz wrote: When I listened to God Emperor of Dune I spent the entire story underwater swimming with a pair of waterproof headphones in my ears.
Sounds like a unique experience! Are you a professional diver?
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Hello

No -Decompression limits
60 ft/60 minutes

50ft/70 minutes

70 ft/50 minutes

And like that...

How long is the audio book?
:techie-hourglass: :animals-fishblue:
ImageImageImage