Comic Books

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Comic Books

Post by Nekhrun »

Didn't mean to derail the What are You Reading? thread so here's one just for comics.

Just to get it started I thought I'd write about what kicked off my comics hobby.

From before I can remember my mom provided me access to comic books and whatever comics merchandise was available at the time. I didn't actually see the value in collecting them until I was about to leave my mom's house and move in with my dad when I was 11. Before making the drive to his house a few hours away, I stopped at a drug store and bought X-Men 236, 237 & 238.

They changed my life. The metaphors in those X-Men books at the time that dealt with racism and religious fanaticism really stuck something. I started selling my lunch tickets at school to get enough money to buy comics every week. My interests quickly varied and I found myself reading anything I could that was referenced in those issues I was reading like Shakespeare plays, the Bible, Mythology, speeches my MLK jr, and others. I'm sure my entire education is due to those comics in the late 80's through the 90's. I stopped collecting for a few years at a time over the last decade when comics got so expensive. I started getting graphic novels from the library and started buying them again a few months back after the DC reboot.

I quit X-Men around the late 90's when the art and stories were just getting lazy.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Robspierre

Re: Comic Books

Post by Robspierre »

I started reading in the 80's, DC's Star Trek, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, and more. I was living in Oregon deep in the Cascades and I would save up my money from mowing lawns to get my fix. Except for some Batman takes, I didn't get into the superhero stuff. I was reading the indipendents, Eclipse, First, Dark Horse, Comico, etc.

In the 90's I dropped out a bit and when I came back I was reading Whiteout, The Golems
's Mighty Swing ( awesome Graphic Novel about a Jewish baseball team in the 1920's), Grendel, A Distant Soil, Transmetropolitan, American Century, Preacher, 100%, King David, Queen & Country, Blue Monday, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Berlin, Age of Bronze, Rucka's run on Wonder Woman, Dawn, Meta-barons, various Ait/PlanetLar publications. I did dabble in a few superhero titles, The Spectre, Martian Manhunter, Punisher, etc.

However, I maintained a focus on indipendent work. I even purchased several pages of original art work, From Hell, Dan DeCarlo Betty and Veronica complete story, Pounded, and A Distant Soil.

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sorry to ruin your Panther Party...

But I just saw The Avengers commercial and...

That.

shit.

looks.

awesome.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:Sorry to ruin your Panther Party...

But I just saw The Avengers commercial and...

That.

shit.

looks.

awesome.
Stop getting distracted by Black Widow's tits and ass.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dude, those are awesome tits...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

and, I'm an ass man...
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Perhaps you guys can help me out here, David my wee boy, six today, has the biggest crush on Wonder Woman can often be heard to ask the teevee " oh wonder you are so wonderful, but how do you fly without a cape?". Can anyone help out?
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

inhuien wrote:oh wonder you are so wonderful, but how do you fly without a cape?". Can anyone help out?
She's part goddess. Also, his cape logic needs tweaking. Green Lanterns
fly and Batman does not. Superman can fly without his.

Reminds me of the old packaging for Batman gear years ago:
Warning: cape does not enable user to fly.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

lotek

Post by lotek »

glad to see WW still inspires young boys :)
Man that Linda Carter did stir up some shorts !

The original WW didn't fly, well she had that invisible plane.
The Pre-Crisis version of the invisible plane was a necessity because before the Crisis on Infinite Earths rewrote Wonder Woman's history—along with the histories of many other heroes—Wonder Woman simply could not fly. She grew increasingly powerful through the Silver Age of comic books and beyond, acquiring the power to ride wind currents thus allowing her to imitate flight over short distance. This had limitations, however; for example, if there was no wind and the air was completely still she would be trapped on the ground or if dropped from a distance that she would helplessly fall out of control to the ground. Though this meant that she would rely on the invisible plane less frequently, she always had need of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_plane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hermes, the messenger god of speed, granted Diana superhuman speed and the ability to fly. By concentrating, Diana can mystically defy the laws of gravity and propel herself through the air to achieve flight. She is capable of flying at speeds approaching half the speed of light.[26] She is swift enough to deflect bullets, lasers, and other projectiles with her virtually impenetrable bracelets. Her brain can process information at an incredibly fast rate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nekhrun wrote:
inhuien wrote:oh wonder you are so wonderful, but how do you fly without a cape?". Can anyone help out?
She's part goddess. Also, his cape logic needs tweaking. Green Lanterns
fly and Batman does not. Superman can fly without his.

Reminds me of the old packaging for Batman gear years ago:
Warning: cape does not enable user to fly.
I've related your observations to the boy to which he contested Green Lantern had the Ring to allow him to fly and that was apparent so didn't figure in his calculations and he was of the belief that a cape was a prerequisite for flight without other artefacts but one could well have a cape and not fly, he also commented that Superman is a pussy.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Capes are crap. They just get stuck in jet engines all the time.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Batman kicked Superman's ass when he was damn seventy.

I mean really who likes Superman more than Batman anyways. (KJA does. Aliens are way more interesting than "a rich guy with cool toys")

Dark Knight Returns
Long Halloween

Watchmen
V for Vendetta

Hellboy and BPRD (Seriously, this series kicks ass.)
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Also forgot that I've been reading through the Savage Sword of Conan reprint and the newer Conan graphic novel reboots.

Obama reads Savage Sword of Conan. I think Romney reads Archie, or maybe Richie Rich. Other issues aside, Obama wins the comics vote
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The Walking Dead is still on my radar. Though Kirkman has been spending too little time on it, probably because of the show.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Does manga count as a comic book? Ah they're all the same to me at least. I've been reading Berserk by Kentauro Miuri. I had to break a few preconceptions about comics and such but it was worth it. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

the only time Superman has ever been cool
was when Carradine talked about him at the
end of Kill Bill ....

also, tho; correct the child:
Superman is not a pussy,
he is a shitheel ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
trang

Post by trang »

Disagree about Superman, He has and always will be cool. Batman is cool to.

I never got deep into comics, read thor, spiderman, conan, others sparingly thru the years. I just went to my first comic con here in KC, about month ago and it ignited an interest, so I have been looking over various series, including wonder woman, buck rogers, flash gordon, and the fantastic four.

I had never known about frank miller, nor got into Graphic Novels before, but since 300 and watchmen, I have looked around.

Like Spawn too, todd mc farlan.

I like the various movies that have come out and look forward to the avengers(TNA included).

Although not the comic book version, Lynda Carter is Wonder Woman, scarred(in a good way) me as a little boy, and will always be her number one fan. She is beautiful today as she was as Wonder Woman back in the day.

I am looking into the Mass Effect 3 comics and Graphics novels this week to fill in story content also.

A new Dune comic/graphic novel (not connected to KJA/BH) would be killer (I know they have some older ones from movie, been looking for those for collection)

Lots to see and learn in the comic book world.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

For manga, read Lone Wolf & Cub, 28 volumes of pure bad assery.

Hellblazer has had some excellent story runs with a variety of writers.

Love the Savage Sword of Conan reprints, I'm way behind.

Rob
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I can see where the kid is coming from about Superman but I'd add two things:
1. Batman trusts him
2. Superman could do anything he wants and he chooses to help people

Those two things go a long way.

I actually added Before Watchmen to my list at the shop today. I have mixed feelings about this, but the creative teams behind the books are some of the best so I'm willing to give them a shot. We'll see how they go.

Sinestro's been a big part of the fist 8 issues of Green Lantern and today's issue was pretty good.

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Free Comic Book Day tomorrow around the world.
Find your nearest participating shop here:
http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Started reading Justice League, not bad ,Darkseid was always a favorite baddie.

Warren Ellis' Ministry of Space is an excellent graphic novel.

I have the first two Before Watchmen Series, Really like Silk Spectre but I am a sucker for Amanda Connors work ever since THE PRO http://findlaydonnan.wordpress.com/2010 ... -pro-nsfw/

Rob
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I've got the Before Watchmen books, but haven't had a chance to read them yet. If the creative teams on those books weren't so great I wouldn't even bother with them, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I'm interested too, but the skeptical, corporate synergy-phobic says "Stay away!"

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omph, if you have the Comixology app on your iPad, DC puts out a digital digest every week. Each issue contains teasers from most of the offerings for that week. The last three each contain 4-6 pages of the Before Watchmen titles released so far.

Rob
lotek

Post by lotek »

Always been a Marvel fan, they were quite expensive for a kid at the time but I'd read them from the shops, they knew me and let me use them as a library.

And of course my favourite character is Warlock, as some of you may know. ;)

Got that from ebay for 2.50£ :D
Spice is the worm's gonads.