Kja's excuse ? "it's Frank Herbert's fault"

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

Kja's excuse ? "it's Frank Herbert's fault"

Post by lotek »

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2 ... erson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another paint by numbers interview, but this caught my attention :
the mother of douchebags wrote:For “Hunters of Dune” and “Sandworms of Dune” we were more constrained than in the previous books because we had to follow Frank Herbert’s detailed outline. A lot of the things people were complaining about were the things Frank left for us to do.
un-fucking-believable...

And that idiot asking questions posted that on his website ?

Moron...

ps
you can move that post to the right section, D Pope has been doing a lot of compiling on this but I had to post it and share the anger !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Re: Kja's excuse ? "it's Frank Herbert's fault"

Post by D Pope »

I think this fits well with what Amp is talking about;
Q: Because of your experience, what are your thoughts on the evolution of fantasy and science fiction
(it’s acceptance in society/entertainment/media, productivity of original ideas, the different formats,
publishing, etc.) and where do you see the genres’ going in the future?

Kevin: When I was a teenager, I was just the strange geek who read Sci Fi. Today, the biggest grossing
films each year are science fiction, dozens of TV shows are SF, genre books regularly hit high on the
bestseller lists. It’s become mainstream—and I’m thrilled about it. It’s good not to be the weirdo anymore!
And,
The ideas keep coming, and I keep developing my craft, pushing the envelope of what I can do (for example,
the giant continuous story that ran over seven large volumes in Saga of Seven Suns)—which gives me a skill
set so that I can try even more ambitious projects.
So kevie, you're saying that because you managed to increase your word count, you're qualified to 'write' long stories?
...and don't think I missed the 'mcDune sucks because that's how Frank wanted it,' as far as you're concerned, "no matter
how far you push the envelope, it'll still be stationary." Admonishments and even insults are lost on you because you
aren't bright enough to understand how bad you are. Keep talking your shit, history has a special place for your smirk.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Well the balls in your court Mr. Anderson, prove it.
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

I had never read that interview that Kev gave in 2008. Too bad, I may have been freed from his bondage 3 years early. I don't remember anyone at all bitching about Heretics of Dune when it came out. I think we were all surprised that Dune got wasted, but everybody thought the book was great. People really liked Miles Teg. It came out when the hype of the Dune movie was high. Kevin is lying about this, as well as other things.

Chapterhouse was confusing because the dust jacket summary of the Honored Matres, when it came out, did not match the Honored Matres of the book. The dust jacket summary said something about the Honored Matres wanting to spread "love", when all they wanted to do was kill.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Well from a certain point of view it is Frank's fault.

Y'know, since Dune was so well written, its impossible for a shit-filled hack to even come close.

Won't stop him from pushing his way into the party and start jerking off on the hottest girl there then claiming she liked it. No, he'll tell the cops its her boyfriends fault for bringing her to his party.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:Won't stop him from pushing his way into the party and start jerking off on the hottest girl there then claiming she liked it. No, he'll tell the cops its her boyfriends fault for bringing her to his party.
Thanks for the visual. :lol: :puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I aim to please.
blowholesofdune

Post by blowholesofdune »

And I read this crap! I actually took the time to read this crap! In my defense, These two were the first and ONLY books I have read by these two. I had just finished Chapterhouse and wanted to know where they go from there.

God was I depressed when I finished this shit. Not because it was the end of the characters I loved, but because these two books just SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know there was a group for this sort of resentment. I thought I was alone in hating these books.
As I said in my intro, I read RTD so I could read some more of Frank Herbert's work....

........Ah God I was duped!
“There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me, you can’t get fooled again.” —In regards to my opinion of the na-dune books.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

blowholesofdune wrote:I didn't know there was a group for this sort of resentment.
We're not the only one, we're just the Dune one.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Let me make one thing clear.

This site is for discussion of FH's Dune books.

KJA hate just happens to be the most current event.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Let me make one thing clear.

This site is for discussion of FH's Dune books.

KJA hate just happens to be the most current event.
Be that as it may, we're still a group that has similar feelings about the hacks.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yes but we wouldn't be together at all if not for our love of FH.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:Yes but we wouldn't be together at all if not for our love of FH.
:clap: ... indeed we are. If not for Frank Herbert my girlfriend and I wouldn't be together ( for almost nine years now ).
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Yes but we wouldn't be together at all if not for our love of FH.
:clap: ... indeed we are. If not for Frank Herbert my girlfriend and I wouldn't be together ( for almost nine years now ).
You're a lucky guy to find such a cutie that's a Dune fan, I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
You're a lucky guy to find such a cutie that's a Dune fan, I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
I am a VERY lucky guy. Previously Laura wasn't much of a science fiction fan but just liked Dune. After she met me I have bombarded her with great science fictions novels. She has devoured books by Banks, Mieville, Niven, Pohl, Heinlein, reynolds et al. Her education is progressing very nicely.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
I am a VERY lucky guy. Previously Laura wasn't much of a science fiction fan but just liked Dune. After she met me I have bombarded her with great science fictions novels. She has devoured books by Banks, Mieville, Niven, Pohl, Heinlein, reynolds et al. Her education is progressing very nicely.
I prayed for that with my wife. Nope.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

KJA: Due to a confluence of deadlines, I recently found myself finishing three book manuscripts in two weeks—The Key to Creation (Orbit/Hachette—172,000 words), The Sisterhood of Dune, with Brian Herbert (Tor—181,000 words), and a YA space adventure Star Challengers with Rebecca Moesta (Catalyst). Two solid weeks of 12-hour days, 7 days a week. Not quite the stereotypical image of a writer lounging around all day.
http://www.dlsnell.com/2011/04/kevin-j- ... rview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah kev, you're a completely different stereotype.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

DLS: Let’s say you committed a crime that landed you in Hellhole. What kind of crime would it be? I mean, if you were a criminal in the Hellhole universe, what kind of criminal would you hope to be?

KJA: In true Hollywood fashion, I would be innocent, I swear! Falsely accused, wrongfully convicted, but because of my heart of gold, I will work to make life better for my fellow colonists. (Fortunately, the characters in the novel itself aren’t so clichéd.)
:laughing-rolling:
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice find! I couldn't make it that far.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

ULFsurfer wrote:
DLS: Let’s say you committed a crime that landed you in Hellhole. What kind of crime would it be? I mean, if you were a criminal in the Hellhole universe, what kind of criminal would you hope to be?

KJA: In true Hollywood fashion, I would be innocent, I swear! Falsely accused, wrongfully convicted, but because of my heart of gold, I will work to make life better for my fellow colonists. (Fortunately, the characters in the novel itself aren’t so clichéd.)
indeed
Here's how it would go down, for real...
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Maybe the interviewer wanted to give him a hint.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

lotek wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote:

indeed
And the funny part would be that the toughs forcing him to dance would be doing it because he stuck them in a shitty universe, not because they were hardened criminals.

you know, now that I think about it, I don't think a single person outside of the rebellion was actually sentenced to Hellhole in the books. Every single character other than the rebels went there voluntarily.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Ampoliros wrote:
lotek wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote:

indeed
And the funny part would be that the toughs forcing him to dance would be doing it because he stuck them in a shitty universe, not because they were hardened criminals.

you know, now that I think about it, I don't think a single person outside of the rebellion was actually sentenced to Hellhole in the books. Every single character other than the rebels went there voluntarily.
... and you should know because you're the ONLY one of us who actually read this atrocity. :wink:

and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

I only read books with Dune on the cover.

Also,
a massive ego attached to a mouth wrote:Oh, always interesting people. I have plenty of unique fans, some eccentric, some a little odd or intense, but they’re still my fans and readers, so I’m happy to have all of them. They come in costume, some have even named their children after my characters,

EDIT TO ADD
the fucking scifi antechrist wrote:My collaborations with Brian Herbert have led to a great resurgence in the popularity of Frank Herbert’s works. Van Vogt was also very popular with me when I was younger, and I was thrilled when Van’s widow Lydia got in touch with me to ask if I would be interested in finishing the last book her husband had begun before his death. Slan is such a classic, with such an impact on the whole SF genre (you’ve seen it copied a million times, though Van doesn’t always get credit). That one didn’t take off as much as the Dune books did, but it did lead to the reprinting of other van Vogt classics and a new readership for Slan.
Two things
1) what the fuck ? Slan ??? I feel sad... and sick
2) "it did lead to the reprinting blablabla" yeah you did this keith, you alone...
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

I can't read the interview. Call me newly, selectively illiterate.

But it did occur to me that the reason why hunters and sandsquirms were so long (and split into two paperbacks to be purchased separately) is because he takes 5 pages to do what FH does in a single paragraph.

I think I'm just afraid the interview will be too long.
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?