The Romans and their legacy.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Visigoth

The Romans and their legacy.

Post by Visigoth »

Why does the World inhabitants still use Roman numbers?

Why does most of the World still practice Roman Religion?

Why does most of the World use a Roman form of government?

Why did the Germanic Tribes adopted the Roman way of life? Image
ImageImageImage
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: The Romans and their legacy.

Post by Freakzilla »

Because it lasted 2000 years? They obviously did a few things right.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Beat me to it.
I bring nothing to the table.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I don't know about you, but I almost always use Hindu-Arabic numerals instead of Roman ones.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I have roman numerals in my name.

Funny story, my son does too. A friend of mine asked him if he new about Roman numerals and he said, "Sure, we've got some in the pantry."

He then showed him the ramen noodles.

:D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Freakzilla wrote:Because it lasted 2000 years? They obviously did a few things right.

I do not know if it lasted 2000 years, but I think one of the things that made the Romans succesful for such a long time was that after they conquered a people, said people could eventually become Romans, even if they were of the Negroid race. I'm particularly fond of the Roman Legions formed by a certain conquered Germanic tribe that ended up sacking Rome and therefore won its independence and gained a territory for themselves called the Iberian Peninsule. Ironically, these Goths became the defenders of the faith. Wasn't the Inquisition great? They took care of the Jews and particularly relevant today, the Moslems. They had the perfect model to deal with these heretics. Viva España! :violence-axechase:
ImageImageImage
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Apjak wrote:I don't know about you, but I almost always use Hindu-Arabic numerals instead of Roman ones.
Look at your dollar bills.
ImageImageImage
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Beat me to it.
:tissue2:
ImageImageImage
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Visigoth wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Because it lasted 2000 years? They obviously did a few things right.

I do not know if it lasted 2000 years, but I think one of the things that made the Romans succesful for such a long time...
...if the traditional date for the founding of Rome is accepted as fact, the Roman state can be said to have lasted in some form from 753 BC to the fall in 1461 of the Empire of Trebizond (a successor state and fragment of the Byzantine Empire which escaped conquest by the Ottomans in 1453), for a total of 2,214 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Empire#Legacy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...was that after they conquered a people, said people could eventually become Romans, even if they were of the Negroid race.
So I guess that rules out the Egyptians and the Turks. :roll:
...I'm particularly fond of the Roman Legions formed by a certain conquered Germanic tribe that ended up sacking Rome and therefore won its independence and gained a territory for themselves called the Iberian Peninsule. Ironically, these Goths became the defenders of the faith.
How does your personal fondness have bearing on this?
Wasn't the Inquisition great?
Great in brutal violence. Otherwise, no.
They took care of the Jews and particularly relevant today, the Moslems. They had the perfect model to deal with these heretics. Viva España! :violence-axechase:
I don't think I like where this is going... :x
~Pink Snowman
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

I would like to share this document which, one of the things it decreed, was the right of women to own property. This is one of the earliest, if not the first document that gave a woman the right to own property. :clap:

http://libro.uca.edu/vcode/visigoths.htm
ImageImageImage
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

The Visigothic Code is what I'm fond of and proud that this document was written. Also, during the Inquisition the Jews were given a week to leave Spain, or they had to convert. The Moslems were not given this opportunity; they were beheaded. You have to admit that there was compassion for the people of the Book. I'm not fond of the Inquisition, but it was an efficient way to get rid of the "enemy". War is Hell! Didn't we went after Bin Laden and killed others in the name of "Justice"? Aren't we proud that we got "Him" and do not think about all of the collateral damage we have incurred? Do we even think about all the innocent people we have killed in the name of Justice? No! We just want the results and toast because we are safer in our country now that He's dead. It was the same in 1492.

The Code is what's important. The Code!
ImageImageImage
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think I like where this is going...
Nope. Not headed to a good place at all... :roll:

I don't mind women owning property, but letting them drive was a decidedly bad idea... :doh:

:lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm proud of the Job our Navy SEALS did in killing Bin Laden, but not because he was a Muslim.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There's nothing here to be particularly proud of:

History of the Jews in Spain: Visigoth rule (from Wikipedia)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

SandChigger wrote:There's nothing here to be particularly proud of:

History of the Jews in Spain: Visigoth rule (from Wikipedia)
Great link!

Spain did not started it.

As tragic as this event was for the history of both Spain and the Jews, it must be pointed out that it occurred within a well established trend in European history. From the 13th to the 16th centuries, many European countries expelled the Jews from their territory in at least 15 occasions with Spain being in the middle of that sequence, having been preceded by England, France and Germany (from Wikipedia)
Last edited by Visigoth on 05 Feb 2012 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So, that makes it OK? Everyone else was doing it?
~Pink Snowman
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Freakzilla wrote:So, that makes it OK? Everyone else was doing it?
Please....I never said it was a good thing. It was efficient and very thorough.

It is interesting and ironic to me that these Visigoths were Aryans first, and then they adopted Roman Catholicism. First they hate the Romans, then they adopt the Romans way of life and become a very austere Defender of the Faith. I just think it is :crazy:

Somehow these guys became a military force to be reckon with because they went unbeaten until Fracis Drake's Navy took credit for defeating the Spanish Armada due to a storm at sea. The Spanish success in ruling the world at that time, I think, it had to do with a moving formation of soldiers (on land) called six...something. I mean Charles V and his predecessors ruled the World. The success the Spanish military acquired opened the door to the discovery of the New World. Remember, these Spaniards were the descendants of the Visigoths which were a Romanized Germanic (barbarian) Tribe that were Roman Legion trained in the art of war. Obviously, they were very keen and ended up sacking Rome and winning Iberia for themselves. Image
Sack of Rome by the Visigoths on 24 August 410

After a while, IMOHO, God (The Most High) took it away from the Spanish and gave it to the English. Call it delusional on my part, but that's what I believe. :wink:

It is ironic, just like an Atheist sending their kid to catholic school.

Was it right to drop two atomic bombs in Japan? Compared to the Inquisition...yet we celebrate and justify our actions against the Japanese.
Don't we celebrate winning at any cost?
Yes we do. Ironically, the Japanese adopted some American ways. I wonder if the Japanese hold a grudge?

Was America right or wrong to have dropped two atomic bombs on innocent civilians?? Honestly? Do we even think about the atomic bombs when we celebrate our victory over Japan? I do not think so; I don't. We think about how righteous we are and that it had to be done. The descendants of the Visigoths, the Spaniards, thought the same thing; it was the right thing to do.
There are no innocents.

We are bias in our beliefs because it suits us just fine. ...not because he was a Moslem. Because he (Bin Laden) was a bad man. Why didn't Bush find him? Because Bush was, and still is, in businnes with the Bin Ladens which are safely tucked away from the U.S. Mr. Bush made sure of that. Both of them, the father and George W.

The Saudis hate us, yet they adopt our ways. We know this, yet we do business and protect them from themselves, and they take, no, we give them our money. Are we adopting their ways? Are we the next to be conquered? Are we going to adopt their ways? Food for thought.
Last edited by Visigoth on 05 Feb 2012 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

You need to go back to history class.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Visigoth wrote:Didn't we went after Bin Laden and killed others in the name of "Justice"? Aren't we proud that we got "Him" and do not think about all of the collateral damage we have incurred? Do we even think about all the innocent people we have killed in the name of Justice? No! We just want the results and toast because we are safer in our country now that He's dead. It was the same in 1492.
What mean "we," white man?
I bring nothing to the table.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Just admit you cannot read Roman Numerals for this years Super Bowl.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Visigoth wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:So, that makes it OK? Everyone else was doing it?
Please....I never said it was a good thing. It was efficient and very thorough.
That would describe Nazi concentration camps, too.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:Just admit you cannot read Roman Numerals for this years Super Bowl.

Rob
:lol:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Visigoth wrote:Was America right or wrong to have dropped two atomic bombs on innocent civilians?? Honestly? Do we even think about the atomic bombs when we celebrate our victory over Japan? I do not think so; I don't. We think about how righteous we are and that it had to be done. The descendants of the Visigoths, the Spaniards, thought the same thing; it was the right thing to do.
There are no innocents.
You're not the Kwizats Haderach, man.
~Pink Snowman