chronology

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

zubu

chronology

Post by zubu »

Hello all :)

I managed to buy all the books from the original dune series, all the prequels and sequels by herbert/anderson (apart from sisterhood of dune). When I was a kid I did read the original series and I decided to read everything again, including new extras in a chronological order. I finished Legends of dune and Prelude to Dune series and I am a bit lost now as to which book to pick up next. According to wikipedia certain parts of "Paul of Dune" happen before the original Dune. So would you say it is better to move to Dune straight away and read Paul of Dune / Winds of Dune later on, before the messiah of Dune or the other way round? Thanx
lotek

Re: chronology

Post by lotek »

I'm surprised, you read the original Dune and then mcdune and you didn't realize something odd was going on ?

I managed to go up to Sadworms before my temporary suspension of disbelief was not enough to cover for the shit writing and piss poor story telling.
Then I got here, and the rest is history.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
zubu

Post by zubu »

lotek wrote:I'm surprised, you read the original Dune and then mcdune and you didn't realize something odd was going on ?

I managed to go up to Sadworms before my temporary suspension of disbelief was not enough to cover for the shit writing and piss poor story telling.
Then I got here, and the rest is history.
I enjoyed legends of dune very much, prequels a bit less. I started this topic to get some info on how to proceed as far as chronology is concerned and not to discuss the value of Brian Herbert / Kevin Anderson writing so please stick to the topic. Thanx
lotek

Post by lotek »

I think we're going to have some fun then.
I love to be put in my place by a noob that didn't even bother introducing himself.

but please go on...
Do you actually know where you are though ?
lotek

Post by lotek »

EDIT TO ADD
Jacurutu wrote: The Prequels/Sequels

Abandon all sanity ye who enter here
zubu

Post by zubu »

lotek wrote:I think we're going to have some fun then.
I love to be put in my place by a noob that didn't even bother introducing himself.

but please go on...
Do you actually know where you are though ?
I see that I probably got on a wrong forum. I needed a simple answer about chronology and nothing else. I dont really care about discussions regarding Frank Herberts legacy and his son's achievements, or lack of it. Also, I dont really like being called a noob by somebody who ignores two of the most important rules of ANY internet forum:
1. Stick to the topic and dont spam
2. Be polite to others - I was polite when I pointed out that you are spamming.

My bet however, I didnt introduce myself, I apologise for that:
Nick Zubu
Name Jakub
Hobby: Dune (original and sequels/prequels and computer games)

But anyways, I shall repeat my question - Can somebody please advice me re the chronology of Dune series? (see 1st post)m, thnx
lotek

Post by lotek »

sod that, someone else deal with it.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

If you've read the six prequels, then read them from Dune on in order that they were printed. The interquels are an abandoned tetrology, Hunters is supposed to be a direct sequel to Chapterhouse.

To my fellow OH: I can think of no better way of coming around to our way of thinking than reading the 6 FH books, then reading the two "Dune 7" books. Should that fail, then claim his water.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

This isn't Russia (is this Russia?).

If you're a fan of the McDune books you might have more luck discussing them here: http://www.dunenovels.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to discuss FH you're in the right place.

People around here are going to give you their opinions about the new books whether you want them or not... and at great length.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

It's simple:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God-Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

and you're done.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Serkanner wrote:It's simple:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God-Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

and you're done.
yeah that's what I meant.

In the end I hate no one but keith (and whoever's responsible for giving him Dune on a platter)

So as long as you don't try to tell me how the sietch works we'll be fine.

Just know that we are the Orthodox Herbertarians, the name is not just for show.

EDIT TO ADD
one more thing, on ANY internet forum, there is an introduction section, ours is here viewforum.php?f=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zubu

Post by zubu »

Thanx for all the posts but my question remains unanswered. I still want to read paul of dune and winds of dune - chronologically is it better to read them before or after the original Dune?

I appreciate you guys obviously hate the new Dune books but I did not come here to discuss their value, I just want to know the answer to my simple question :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I have not read any of Paul of Dune, but I understand that some parts are set before Dune occurs and some after. The books written by Frank Herbert are self-contained, so I'd suggest reading them without reading anything else that occurs inbetween, then, if you want to, go back and read the "interquels". Since the new books intertwine chronologically with the real books, there isn't really any way to read them all with chronology in mind.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Read them after Hunters and Sandworms. They don't finish themselves, or make sense in relation to the original Frank Herbert books. They are their own interquel "stories" that have little relation to anything besides themselves, and they aren't done. They're on hold until the franchise becomes profitable again.

If I must my little Batigh:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emporer of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Hunters of DUNE™
Sandworms of DUNE™ ®

Paul™ of DUNE™ ©
Winds of DUNE™ ® ©

Sisterhood of DUNE™ ® © 卐
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

zubu wrote:Thanx for all the posts but my question remains unanswered. I still want to read paul of dune and winds of dune - chronologically is it better to read them before or after the original Dune?

I appreciate you guys obviously hate the new Dune books but I did not come here to discuss their value, I just want to know the answer to my simple question :)
Then you've been told where you can go do that.

Forum for dumb fucks who like to waste time talking about how awesome shit books are.

I'm sure we'll see you there as most people who post there are sock puppets anyway.

P.S. McDune is shit.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
zubu

Post by zubu »

Nekhrun wrote:
zubu wrote:Thanx for all the posts but my question remains unanswered. I still want to read paul of dune and winds of dune - chronologically is it better to read them before or after the original Dune?

Forum for dumb fucks who like to waste time talking about how awesome shit books are.

I'm sure we'll see you there as most people who post there are sock puppets anyway.

P.S. McDune is shit.
So again - no disrespect meant to forum users who kept it polite and tried to help me and for the record - I love Frank Herbert, I read Dune itself 3 times as a kid/teenager, and all the remaining parts of the original saga. I also like the new Dune books and thats why I am reading all of it again.

And now...

As for the rest, especially Nekhrun, I couldnt care less what such a dumb and sad fuck like you thinks about me and the kind of books I like, personally I dont give a flying fuck about who you are and what u represent u ignorant, pathetic, stupid moron. I kept it nice and polite until now and I only wanted an answer to a simple question which seems to be too complicated fur such a retard like yourself. Actually, calling u a retard is in insult to mentally challenged people, u intelectually raped, childish asshole. You should be kept in a cage u backward asswipe. And the question remains, why so many people decide to be hostile and aggressive from the start? And why? Cos I like different books?... Wait... I know! Ever heard of a word fundamentalist? - check it in a fucken dictionary u ignorant fuck.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Try orthodox in a dictionnary, maybe that'll answer your question.

And you'll fit right in with the preeks.*

EDIT TO ADD
what no insults for me ? I'm disappointed...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:Try orthodox in a dictionnary, maybe that'll answer your question.

And you'll fit right in with the preeks.*

EDIT TO ADD
what no insults for me ? I'm disappointed...
You're too polite, obviously. For that I thank you. :|

Zubu,

Nekhrun is triggered into berserk-er mode by the mere mention of the McDune "books". It wasn't you, initially...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I like to try to give people the benefit of the doubt, initially at least.
But I just don't like being told how to use "my" board. (that funny smell in the corners, that's me)

If I go to another forum I won't start by telling people I don't give a crap about what drives them.

EDIT TO ADD
onasander would have a lot to learn here ^^
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

zubu wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

P.S. McDune is shit.
So again - no disrespect meant to forum users who kept it polite and tried to help me and for the record - I love Frank Herbert, I read Dune itself 3 times as a kid/teenager, and all the remaining parts of the original saga. I also like the new Dune books and thats why I am reading all of it again.

And now...

As for the rest, especially Nekhrun, I couldnt care less what such a dumb and sad fuck like you thinks about me and the kind of books I like, personally I dont give a flying fuck about who you are and what u represent u ignorant, pathetic, stupid moron. I kept it nice and polite until now and I only wanted an answer to a simple question which seems to be too complicated fur such a retard like yourself. Actually, calling u a retard is in insult to mentally challenged people, u intelectually raped, childish asshole. You should be kept in a cage u backward asswipe. And the question remains, why so many people decide to be hostile and aggressive from the start? And why? Cos I like different books?... Wait... I know! Ever heard of a word fundamentalist? - check it in a fucken dictionary u ignorant fuck.
What gives you the idea you're entitled to an answer to the question?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
zubu

Post by zubu »

good, heard enough.

We will all be much happier if I dont return to your forum. I dont think I fit in here, so for most of you - have fun, for the impolite ones - go fuck yourselves. Bye bye
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

zubu wrote:good, heard enough.

We will all be much happier if I dont return to your forum. I dont think I fit in here, so for most of you - have fun, for the impolite ones - go fuck yourselves. Bye bye
Yeah, sure. That's what they all say. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

zubu wrote:good, heard enough.

You fit inside my forum real nice big fella! Anytime! You go! Lotsa love!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Apjak wrote:Read them after Hunters and Sandworms. They don't finish themselves, or make sense in relation to the original Frank Herbert books. They are their own interquel "stories" that have little relation to anything besides themselves, and they aren't done. They're on hold until the franchise becomes profitable again.

IMHO, this is closer:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emporer of Dune
Heretics of Dune

Details (best/worst example: stuff about the Tleilaxu in HoD/CH:D) used to set up:
House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corrino.

Hints about the Schools set up:
The Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade, The Other One

Conscious robots you say? That's lucky because next up it's:
Hunters of DUNE™ Sandworms of DUNE™ ®

Hang on, didn't Fenring stab Paul? I wonder if there's anything about that in:
Paul™ of DUNE™ ©, Winds of DUNE™ ® ©

This so shit even KJA gets bored at this point:

This is what I really don't get about the chronology thing. Even if you're the biggest KJA fan evar it makes no fucking sense to read them in the in-universe-chronology. Every book contains spoilers about the last one... coincidence? No - they were written in that order and the authors used past events to build new stories, as well as foreshadowing stuff for the next book.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Apjak wrote:
zubu wrote:chronologically is it better to read them before or after the original Dune?
Read them after Hunters and Sandworms. They don't finish themselves, or make sense in relation to the original Frank Herbert books. They are their own interquel "stories" that have little relation to anything besides themselves, and they aren't done. They're on hold until the franchise becomes profitable again.

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emporer of Dune
Heretics of Dune

Hunters of DUNE™
Sandworms of DUNE™ ®

Paul™ of DUNE™ ©
Winds of DUNE™ ® ©

This is what I really don't get about the chronology thing. Even if you're the biggest KJA fan evar it makes no fucking sense to read them in the in-universe-chronology. Every book contains spoilers about the last one... coincidence? No - they were written in that order and the authors used past events to build new stories, as well as foreshadowing stuff for the next book.
In all honesty, this is the best order to read Dune & mcDune. Once you've digested Dune itself, you will have developed some small amount of immunity from what mcDune will take away from the real thing. You ask about the best order and this is it, don't think that this 'hatred' is blind, follow the order and make the judgement for yourself. Reading PoD before DM will completely skew not just the message of Messiah, but your ability to percieve it.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos