Video Games!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Ampoliros

Re: Video Games!

Post by Ampoliros »

D Pope wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Been having fun in the Mechwarrior Online beta.
I looked at some of the pictures at their website, are they doing a 'pre-clan wars' sort of thing?
Started playing Fasa Battletech in the eighties, all the different houses started after Fasa lost to Robotechs claim; copyrights or something.
Did you ever try the version with dice?
Yeah they set their development schedule on a 1:1 time ratio, setting it in 3049. So the clan invasions are still border skirmishes with the main event coming early next year.

Sadly they are still relatively behind on the development, so the full launch might be pushed back to next year.

Even with only 4 maps and 9 released mechs I've been having a ton of fun in the closed beta.

Open Beta should be coming up soon.

Warning, the learning curve is harsh, and at current the matchmaking system only matches weight, so people dropping randomly go into the same que as the people dropping as a team so combat is very one sided in favor of the people playing as a team. I highly suggest anyone who wants to play get in the free "unofficial" beta Teamspeak server and find a group.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Chrome Hounds was the only reason I bought my 360, sucks that it was the only one of its genre for that platform.
Good to see that gameplay looks more like it did on PS 1, I always wanted to see what that would look like 'updated.'
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

I´ve been playing Myst 4 lately. Love it, wish they´d still make that kind of games.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I've been getting tempted to pick up Starcraft II (not having played the first one) recently. Especially after watching the tournament matches at QCon this year. Anybody else play? I'm wondering if it's worth getting into.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have to redact everything I said about MWO. Its been managed into the ground and completely unbalanced. Its become painfully obvious the devs have little idea about how to program cryengine and apparently refuse to ask the cryengine team for help.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Gamefly had GTAIII, GTA:VC, GTA:SA, GTAIV and GTAIV:EFLC for the PC, for $10. So I picked it up. The early ones have aged a bit in terms of graphics, but they're still fun to play.

Download and Steam DRM, btw. But I don't mind that, really.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
lotek

Post by lotek »

If you liked the GTAs, and haven't tried it yet, give a go at Just Cause 2, it's Die Hard meets open world, gameplay can be a bit repetitive but the map is pure beauty, and the grapling/'chute combination allows access to ALL parts of the map.

Never again be stuck by an inch high rock!

Spice is the worm's gonads.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Thanks, lotek. I haven't played JC2, but I've heard good things. My PC setup is okay but not stellar, so some of the newer games lag more than a bit.

This was my first look at GTAIV, and I can play it at 1680x1050 (my monitor's native res) with reasonable settings. So I'm pleased with that, as I'd heard horror stories about how slow it would be. Some of the lighting effects and details are very nice, but God, Liberty City is bleak. All greys and browns. I wish they'd given me a bit more eye candy given the potential there.

I'd played the older GTAs before. I think Vice City is my favourite, mainly because their satirical depiction of the eighties is just so spot on. And they were able to get actual eighties music on the radio stations, which is great, if a little cringe-inducing. Geez, I used to *like* that song? San Andreas is okay - I like that CJ can swim - but the whole character building thing - and having to eat - was just a superfluous annoyance, IMHO.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Episodes from Liberty City is totally worth getting, it really rounds out the story.

Just Cause 2 is good arcade fun, but I prefer GTA. San Andreas was my favorite.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Empire: Total War

Tearing up Europe with my Scot mercenaries.

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm beta testing Ultimate Generals: Gettysburg.

I love it, the art is beautiful and the gameplay is pretty good and getting better. :dance:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Cool, can you recommend a good war game?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Looks stunning!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It truly is. The map alone is a thing of beauty. The troops go through the movements of reloading, aiming and firing. You can see bullets and shells flying around.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

also, for anyone into space sims, if you haven't checked out Star Citizen you need too. I've gone off the deep end for it (I'm even one of the community mods there now)

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a ton of info on it on youtube. Its completely crowdfunded and if anyone else besides Chris Roberts was trying to do this it never would have gotten this far.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Ampoliros wrote:also, for anyone into space sims, if you haven't checked out Star Citizen you need too. I've gone off the deep end for it (I'm even one of the community mods there now)

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a ton of info on it on youtube. Its completely crowdfunded and if anyone else besides Chris Roberts was trying to do this it never would have gotten this far.
I play EVE online since a year and a half. Our community is rather sceptical about the development of Star Citizen. Especially the way funds are raised for non existing content is frowned upon ... but the SC community keeps paying for it.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:It truly is. The map alone is a thing of beauty. The troops go through the movements of reloading, aiming and firing. You can see bullets and shells flying around.
How good is the gameplay? I have played numerous wargames and real time strategy games to have an interest in a very good new game.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It truly is. The map alone is a thing of beauty. The troops go through the movements of reloading, aiming and firing. You can see bullets and shells flying around.
How good is the gameplay? I have played numerous wargames and real time strategy games to have an interest in a very good new game.
Well, it's still in beta. That being said... I've only gotten to about three battles into Gettysburg.

Did you ever play Sid Meier's Gettysburg or Antietam? Ultimate General gives you Brigade level command. You don't have to line up every battalion and you can with on click form your brigades... but you don't have to. There's still some bugs to work out but I'm having a lot of fun!
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Get in now on the beta for $10 and you get the full game when finished. They're planing a whole series and I expect it will be well done.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Talking of beta, I've been on Destiny for a few days, it shows promise but it needs to nail the space exploration/open world thing if it wants to beat Borderlands 2 ^^
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:Get in now on the beta for $10 and you get the full game when finished. They're planing a whole series and I expect it will be well done.
For only $10 I might just get it and see for myself. I haven't played Antietam or Gettysburg because I was more interested in WW II at the time with only a limited budget. Now I am "rich" :wink: and can afford multiple games at a time.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I think the irony is that Star Citizen is very open with the process of development, so much so that people start complaining if we go a day without an update. It's certainly a project on a grand scale. I've actually gotten to meet Chris Roberts twice now and he will make you believe.

I do understand a lot of the eyebrow raising over the crowdfunding and how much they are raising vs what they have released. (As of now its just the Hangar and "Pre-Alpha" Dogfighting. If you haven't yet check out some of the videos for Arena Commander, the fidelity and level of detail is amazing.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Ampoliros wrote:I think the irony is that Star Citizen is very open with the process of development, so much so that people start complaining if we go a day without an update. It's certainly a project on a grand scale. I've actually gotten to meet Chris Roberts twice now and he will make you believe.

I do understand a lot of the eyebrow raising over the crowdfunding and how much they are raising vs what they have released. (As of now its just the Hangar and "Pre-Alpha" Dogfighting. If you haven't yet check out some of the videos for Arena Commander, the fidelity and level of detail is amazing.
I follow the development closely. I am also hoping that it will indeed be as great a game as promised because it would mean that for the next decade I will not have any spare time to spend on any thing else :D ... I stay sceptical because so little have been shown for yet people keep forking out money. I have supported many pre-orders but the spending of sometimes up to hundreds of Euros on a product only in development goes way to far for me. I am afraid that the crowdfunding 'scheme' goes completely belly-up for lots of other projects if a project like Star Citizen fails with almost $ 50 mil of backers money gone as vaporware.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Get in now on the beta for $10 and you get the full game when finished. They're planing a whole series and I expect it will be well done.
For only $10 I might just get it and see for myself. I haven't played Antietam or Gettysburg because I was more interested in WW II at the time with only a limited budget. Now I am "rich" :wink: and can afford multiple games at a time.
Here's a nice youtube video: http://youtu.be/IESQ7bQVlVk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's just gone multiplayer, btw. My balls haven't grown big enough to try that yet, though.
~Pink Snowman