Classic Literature

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tyrant

Classic Literature

Post by Tyrant »

Greetings fellow dune nerds. I have just finished reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas. After reading this amazing novel, I have become hungry for classic literature. I'm in the middle of a personal debate on who/what to read next. I'd really like to dig into some Tolstoy, but have no idea which translation i should look into. Considering the novel was completed in Russian, I am aware that I must place my faith in a translation. Translations make me very nervous. I do not enjoy the thought of being at the mercy of an individuals translation. Depending on who translates, you could have completely different experiences of the same novel. Any recommendations on translated novels that do the original work justice? I am also looking for other reading suggestions. In this current world full of "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" novels, I find most top 100 book lists to be suspect. Considering how amazing the Dune novels are however, I have decided to place more faith with those on this site as opposed to any other. Eagerly awaiting replies :)

Tyrant :Adolf:
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
JustSomeGuy

Re: Classic Literature

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I read The Count of Monte Cristo in French. I tried reading American Gods in Spanish, but it just didn't feel the same. Here's my two cents: If you're going to read a translation, just do some research- you'll find something that meets your criteria. Well, that wasn't much help.
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Classic Literature

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm about to start on Anna Karenina myself - for translations I'd just start reading several different ones at the store and see which seems best to you.