Dune - the Comic adaptation

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Dune - the Comic adaptation

Post by SandChigger »

lotek wrote:Paul was born here.
Except that we have absolutely NO guarantee that that is based on a map of Caladan by Frank Herbert. :hand: :snooty: :naughty:
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Yeah, I don't think so.
I bring nothing to the table.
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

SandChigger wrote:
lotek wrote:Paul was born here.
...IMAGE CUT...
Except that we have absolutely NO guarantee that that is based on a map of Caladan by Frank Herbert. :hand: :snooty: :naughty:
With Castle Caladan placed on the coast and no mentions at all of Mount Syubi and the river near it which were referenced in the original books? No, this is definitely not the case. I think it's already too much even hoping they used a fractal random generator to make that "map" of Caladan.

Regarding the comic adaptation, I learnt to grow suspicious of seeing BH & KJA names on any Dune-related work, even if they don't speak about it in interviews or blogs and don't seem to be involved with its production (Chronicles of the Imperium docet... :? )

Rymoah
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Rymoah wrote:With Castle Caladan placed on the coast and no mentions at all of Mount Syubi and the river near it which were referenced in the original books? No, this is definitely not the case. I think it's already too much even hoping they used a fractal random generator to make that "map" of Caladan.
:lol: :clap: :clap:
Regarding the comic adaptation, I learnt to grow suspicious of seeing BH & KJA names on any Dune-related work, even if they don't speak about it in interviews or blogs and don't seem to be involved with its production (Chronicles of the Imperium docet... :? )
I hope Byron gets really pissed off about this, because I think this is something he was interested in doing, or at least being a part of. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Boom Changes Free Comic Book Day Offering From Dune To Hypernaturals
All the more exciting to Dune fans was the fact that the writers of the novels, Herbert and Anderson, were actually writing the comic themselves.

But for undisclosed reasons the launch of the comics series is delayed. And Boom can’t tell me why. So no Dune FCBD.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/17/ ... rnaturals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Boom Changes Free Comic Book Day Offering From Dune To Hypernaturals
All the more exciting to Dune fans was the fact that the writers of the novels, Herbert and Anderson, were actually writing the comic themselves.

But for undisclosed reasons the launch of the comics series is delayed. And Boom can’t tell me why. So no Dune FCBD.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/17/ ... rnaturals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shocking that kja doesn't want anything getting out there without milking the shit out of it. Free just isn't in his plans for anything with the word DUNE plastered across it anymore.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

"Dune: Origins" implies the House books to me. Not the original Dune.

One reason KJA may not have mentioned it is that he's forgotten. If he wrote the text for these (didn't he do something similar for s star wars GN?) it was probably long enough ago that he couldn't talk about it at the time, and he's forgotten about it since.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

Hunchback Jack wrote:"Dune: Origins" implies the House books to me. Not the original Dune.

One reason KJA may not have mentioned it is that he's forgotten. If he wrote the text for these (didn't he do something similar for s star wars GN?) it was probably long enough ago that he couldn't talk about it at the time, and he's forgotten about it since.

HBJ
Or, maybe, in this period he's too concentrated in milking and hacking other intellectual properties:

Kevin J. Anderson will novelize Rush’s new album

As for the comics, I really hope this will be another slap for the Herbert LLC.

Rymoah
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Underling: Hey, some Keith guy emailed the script for the Dune comic!
Boss: Weren't we getting Brian Herbert - Frank's son to write that?
Underling: Dunno, just says "Keith".
Boss: Let me see that.
Underling: Er... Erm... I'm not sure you want to...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

@TheKJA
@yevisk That was a bogus announcement someone made; no Dune comic was set for free comic book day.
11:39 PM - 9 Mar 12
I guess no one told BOOM studios or Diamond distributors they were bogus when the originally solicited the comic for FCBD. But then again thekja controls Dune so he's the one to know, right :)

So either Keith isn't done writing the odd pages or Bri-Bri isn't done writing then even pages for the comic.

This is Hackerson's grand opportunity to re-write Dune to appeal to the hipper, modern generation. And of course he can always claim he's just adapting the source material to a new medium.

I could go for DUNE in full hardcover graphic novel form if the Hacks has NOTHING to do with it and a reputable writer did a faithful representation of DUNE with art like the following. Always imagined Chani looking something like this in comic book form:

http://travischarestgallery.com/index.c ... age&id=371
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Rymoah wrote:Kevin J. Anderson will novelize Rush’s new album
Crap! I thought you were joking!
Sardaukar Capt wrote:I guess no one told BOOM studios or Diamond distributors they were bogus when the originally solicited the comic for FCBD.
Do you think it was intended to be free from the start or did that happen after some market research?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

D Pope wrote:
Sardaukar Capt wrote:I guess no one told BOOM studios or Diamond distributors they were bogus when the originally solicited the comic for FCBD.
Do you think it was intended to be free from the start or did that happen after some market research?
Usually every publisher makes one comic free on Free Comic Book Day every year as a way to draw new readers into the comic shops. I think Dune: Origins was set to be one of those since it was listed on reputable sites but my guess is that it is getting replaced with another BOOM! Studios book because Dune: Origins probably won't be ready in time.

I have a feeling thekja is going to use it as his platform to mix McDune and the real Dune together into his "true" Dune. The Keith J Andershit's DUNE.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."

Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

D Pope wrote:
Rymoah wrote:Kevin J. Anderson will novelize Rush’s new album
Crap! I thought you were joking!
Usually every publisher makes one comic free on Free Comic Book Day every year as a way to draw new readers into the comic shops. I think Dune: Origins was set to be one of those since it was listed on reputable sites but my guess is that it is getting replaced with another BOOM! Studios book because Dune: Origins probably won't be ready in time.

I have a feeling thekja is going to use it as his platform to mix McDune and the real Dune together into his "true" Dune. The Keith J Andershit's DUNE.

@TheKJA
After 100+ novels, I am honestly working on one of the coolest projects in my career. I can't wait to announce it!
9:43 PM - 6 Feb 12
@sfsignal
Author Kevin J. Anderson (@TheKJA) to write novelization of Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album rushisaband.com/blog/2012/02/0… #fb
Retweeted by Kevin J Anderson
3:55 PM - 9 Feb 12
McRush :)

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:McRush :)
This will mark the end of an era. :cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:Boom Changes Free Comic Book Day Offering From Dune To Hypernaturals
As others have touched upon, its a flat-out guarantee that this had something to do with Spanky McDune's control issues.

Perhaps — dare I say it? — someone at Boom actually expected to edit what Keith turned in? There's no way he'll stand for that shit, as we all know.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

When did Kevin become Keith :?:

Just out of curiosity. My effigies may need a name change prior to ignition.
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:
@TheKJA
I could go for DUNE in full hardcover graphic novel form if the Hacks has NOTHING to do with it and a reputable writer did a faithful representation of DUNE with art like the following. Always imagined Chani looking something like this in comic book form:

I dunno about that particular pic (Chani seemed skinner to me), but that's fantastic art. There are a few artistes over at deviantart as well I'd give body parts to have illustrate a proper Dune comic.

:idea:

Perhaps that's the key. If I give up my left nut, will KJA finally be unsummoned and we can finally get that to happen?
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

gurensan wrote:When did Kevin become Keith :?:

Just out of curiosity. My effigies may need a name change prior to ignition.
The story should be around here somewhere. Just search for "Martian Bob" and you should find it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Ahh, OK. On Amazon, no less... sweet! Ill need a new effigy.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

let me make this clear,
{and yes, I am on an late afternoon springtime
bourbon-drunk, and fuck you all ....}

while Bob did in fact originate the misnomer of "Keith"
for that asshat-pickel fucker, I, the SandRider did in fact,
perpetuate the use of such, here, in the sietch, and elsewhere ...

it was I, the SandRider, who drove the point into the godsdamned-fucking ground,
posting "Keith" for the hack over & over & over that finally made the use common
practice ...

and now, after this long-overdue clarification, and giving myself a headache
and losing a full three-fifths of my buzz from all these godsdamned BBC codes,
I bid y'all a good'un ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'll drink to that. Here, here! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:lol: Yeah, that post sure made my morning!
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity