Dune - the Comic adaptation

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sev

Dune - the Comic adaptation

Post by Sev »

Looks like the HLP have finally got something off the ground re a Dune comic. Coming from Boom Studios in July...

but before that: :tissue2:

Dune: Origins

(W) Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson (CA) Rael Lyra

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, New York Times best-selling authors of the legendary science fiction series Dune, reunite once more, this time to adapt their work at BOOM!. This FCBD edition will serve as an introduction to the Dune universe for fans of the Frank Herbert classic and new readers who aren’t familiar with the rich Dune mythology; a must-have precursor to the epic launch of the adaptation of Dune books from BOOM! starting in July!

:puke:

There's no indication who's doing the adaptation - just hope it isn't these two wankers.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
DuneFishUK

Re: Dune - the Comic adaptation

Post by DuneFishUK »

Fuck dat. :(

Although doing a quick google of Boom: "Beginning in 2009, BOOM! Studios started publishing a 24-issue comic book limited series adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, containing the full text of the novel."

Fingers crossed the presence of Bobo and Steve is purely cosmetic. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

a work meeting with bobo and his master :
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

That's really got to chap Steve's ass that they're giving it away for free.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

Nekhrun wrote:That's really got to chap Steve's ass that they're giving it away for free.
who's giving what for free ?

EDIT : mmm it seems I'm blind as a fucking bat...

Dune: Origins
who came up with that ?

The cover is good though.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

fuck, you know how bad this going to be ... goddamnit, they may have just won here...
if this comic book is a "introduction to the rich Dune mythology", you fucking know it's
going to have McDune-stuff stirred and squirted all thru it ... how many kids are going to
choose a comic over Frank's Dune?

how many of those kids are going to wander around talking about "Dune", unaware of and unable
to separate the elements that are Frank's from the Hacks Twain's tinkerings ? this could be much,
much worse than the McDunes themselves, in terms of killing Frank's message(s) in the minds of
new readers ...

and BTW, I can't imagine including the "entire" text of DADoES? would be a good idea; the only
positive I can see would be the introduction of Blade Runner fans to Mercerism and an understanding
of the reasons the earth came to be the way it was .... as a speculative essay of sorts, Electric
Sheep
is thought-provoking & occasionally profound; as a novel, that fucker's got plot-holes
you could pilot a guild heighliner thru ...(which is why I think the "story" was re-written so thoroughly
for the script ... as a far as plot goes, the Blade Runner script makes a helluva lot more (plausible)
story ... and the "alternate scene" where Young Bill Adama tells Han Solo he's "done a man's job" is
one of the most intriguing stories of film-making itself - that one little line changes the entire story,
not only in terms of plot, but of meaning, message, and "character-development" ... and to me, the
greatest thing about it is that the movie works with and/or without this line ...)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Sev wrote:
There's no indication who's doing the adaptation - just hope it isn't these two wankers.

W = writer(s)
CA = cover artist
A = (interior) artist
DuneFishUK wrote:

I don't think so .... :tissue2:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Omphalos
      Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

DuneFishUK wrote:Fuck dat. :(

Although doing a quick google of Boom: "Beginning in 2009, BOOM! Studios started publishing a 24-issue comic book limited series adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, containing the full text of the novel."

That adaptation f Androids is fantastic.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
      Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Poor Steve, not a single twat about this project. I wonder if he even knows.

Rob
      Freakzilla
      Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If he was involved you'd think he wouldn't be able to shut up about it.
      Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
      ~Pink Snowman
      JimmytheT

Post by JimmytheT »

This resurgence of comic books err.... " graphic novels" :roll: the past few years is sure going too far. I also strongly object the use of the word "novel" in any reference to the comic book narrative. God damn euphemisms.
      Your life story would not make a good book. Don't even try.
      -Fran Lebowitz
      Nekhrun
      Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

JimmytheT wrote:This resurgence of comic books err.... " graphic novels" :roll: the past few years is sure going too far. I also strongly object the use of the word "novel" in any reference to the comic book narrative. God damn euphemisms.
      Resurgence? Comics are nowhere near as popular now as they were in the early '90's. Print runs back then were more than twice as many. The term Graphic Novels has been around since at least the 80's and with good reason.

Not to mention the fact that kids who read them have a larger vocabulary and better reading comprehension. I'm not sure what your beef is with comics. They certainly have a prominent place in North American (yes, Canada & Mexico too) culture and literature.
      "If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Keith hasn't said anything about this project. Might be because he has nothing to do with it which is a good sign...

Rob
      Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:Keith hasn't said anything about this project. Might be because he has nothing to do with it which is a good sign...

Rob
      That's what I think. If he was involved he wouldn't be able to shut up about it.
      Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
      ~Pink Snowman
      SandChigger
      KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Good. Let's buy a copy and mail it to him. :lol:
      Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Good. Let's buy a copy and mail it to him. :lol:
      Someone should bring one to a signing.
      ~Pink Snowman
      JimmytheT

Post by JimmytheT »

Nekhrun wrote:
      JimmytheT wrote:This resurgence of comic books err.... " graphic novels" :roll: the past few years is sure going too far. I also strongly object the use of the word "novel" in any reference to the comic book narrative. God damn euphemisms.
      Resurgence? Comics are nowhere near as popular now as they were in the early '90's. Print runs back then were more than twice as many. The term Graphic Novels has been around since at least the 80's and with good reason.

Not to mention the fact that kids who read them have a larger vocabulary and better reading comprehension. I'm not sure what your beef is with comics. They certainly have a prominent place in North American (yes, Canada & Mexico too) culture and literature.
      I have nothing against comics as a litery medium, however they are not novels, they are by definition cartoons:

A novel is an extended work in prose form, and describing the appearance of characters, scenery, and interactions through illustration is not consistent with the prose form.

A cartoon or comic strip, is a sequence of pictures or drawings with only thoughts and spoken word actually written. Therefor not prose, and not a novel.

To my initial point, I do enjoy comics, however in my opinion, too many licenses are being doled out these days to come up with unoriginal comic book stories (the subject matter of this thread being case in point).
      -Fran Lebowitz
      Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So, what do you call it if it has the entire text of the novel, with pictures?
      ~Pink Snowman
      JimmytheT

Post by JimmytheT »

Freakzilla wrote:So, what do you call it if it has the entire text of the novel, with pictures?
      That sounds like an ungodly piece of shit to me.
      -Fran Lebowitz
      A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:lol: Well, come to think of it, my copy of The Illustrated Dune really is an ungodly piece of shit...

...wait, hold on. :?
      Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Apparently, a Dune-related comic has been in development for at least a few years.

According to Bleeding Cool, artist Matt Bellisle was approached by Bluewater Comics to help work on a Dune pitch.

I assumed they had writers and artists already lined up for the main part of their proposal, but I was asked to contribute a cover to show a style I would bring to the front of the books. Because I was such a huge DUNE fan, I asked if I could also contribute more than the cover and have a chance to do some back-up stories, that would go behind Bluewater’s main story.

For that, I brought in my good friend, Chris Garrity to also contribute to the pitch. Our hope was that Chris and I would write a multi-timeline story with Chris doing the pencils to one timeline and I drawing the art for the other timeline. Our plan was to have it based on a tribe of Fremen, not part of Paul Atreides’ group, but another faction on the planet. That way we weren’t messing with any continuity issues with the main story. Those timelines would then intersect, throwing both sides into the middle of a war on Arakis. While we never shared any of these story ideas or text with the people at Bluewater, they agreed to letting us contribute to the pitch. The deadline for the pitch was just a couple days away, so I did my cover art and Chris did one page of pencils for the interior of the back-up story.

The pitch happened and then I never heard back from Bluewater as to the status of how it went or what had happened. Typically these kinds of things take time, so I waited patiently, but nothing came of it. I was obviously never paid for this work and never signed any kind of contract for the work either.

So now that a few years have gone by and BOOM! has announced that they have landed the license to work on adapting the Dune books, I thought it might be interesting to share what could have been…

Here is the cover art I had done and the interior pencils Chris had drawn.
      Nekhrun
      Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I guess those years of sharing his work had no effect for Simon.

lotek

Post by lotek »

And sign it with Irulan's name ?

I know it's unlikely but wouldn't it be sweet if this adaptation kept the original Dune storyline, just doing that would make the hack's inconsistencies and inventions stand so much out...
      Paul was born here.
      DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Our plan was to have it based on a tribe of Fremen, not part of Paul Atreides’ group, but another faction on the planet. That way we weren’t messing with any continuity issues with the main story.
      You mean respectfully using the awesomeness of the Dune setting as a starting point for an original story that doesn't interfere or change anything that Frank wrote?

Heresy! We all know the only way to write in the Dune universe is to change everything... :o
      - http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
      Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:laughing:
      DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie