Sardaukar Capt has been deployed

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sardaukar Capt

Sardaukar Capt has been deployed

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Ok I hope the subject wasn't to cheesy :D

I first read Dune in the summer of '89, the same summer I turned 21. I had seen the movie first and oddly enough it was the TV cut of Lynch's Dune that had a new longer intro and deleted scenes that got me interested in the book. I was instantly hooked on the book and during the next year read all 6. I have a distinct memory of Chapterhouse Dune because I was in the middle of reading in when on the news we saw that Saddam had attacked Kuwait in Aug 1990.

I reread the series periodically and fall more in love with it each time.

I discovered this forum after finding the Hariy Ticks of Dune Blog earlier in the week. I don't recall what led me to it but was fascinated with the passion SandChigger and the others have for Frank Herbert's Dune and defending it while giving the deserving vitriol against the nu-Dune universe.

I had high hopes for the nu-Dune House series when it first came out. Hoping Frank has left his son some direction for things. I thought it odd they would do Star Wars style prequels as first books. After reading them and learning more about Kevin J Anderson, I'm disgusted by the direction they've taken and given KJAs past I shouldn't have been surprised at what happened. So far I've only read all the House books, although I wish I hadn't, and Butlerian Jihad and now halfway thru Machine Crusade. I've put down both these Legends, or whatever the hell they call them, books several times over the years. But alas I can't seem to stop. I have this perverse need to see how these idiots end up ruining the B-Jihad period. Although it was pretty much ruined when I found the antagonists in these books are Colossus from The Forbin Project and the love child of Data and Agent Smith. And I keep reading in the hope, so far vainly, to find a clear nugget of Frank Herbert goodness. So far if I have, its been so perverted by these two that I didnt recognize it.

At first I thought the shit that are these McDune books was because BH & KJA are just shit writers. But the more I learn about them and things SandChigger has linked to in his blog, I'm convinced the only reason BH & HLP brought KJA in for was to turn Dune into a book series like Star Wars and Star Trek. I can see KJA selling this idea to them because of his "success" with book series like that and how much money it would make them. Shows me the Herbert family has no respect for Frank's literary masterpiece and only sees it as vehicle to turn it into a SW style money train. I think KJA is taking it a step further though. Retconning the Dune verse into his own perverse version he can call his own as a separate entity. I thought I've read several times where he's now calling these HIS Dune books. Its like he doesn't even pretend that BH is writing them with him anymore. When he says things like he spends a week with Brian brainstorming ideas then HE goes off to write the outline.... excuse me... DICTATE the outline and the novel itself, he's openly flaunting now that the only role any Herbert has in these books is giving a tacit OK to KJA's retconning and idiotic and banal ideas.

I'm sure I'm retreading ground others have covered ad nauseam about these 2. But suffice it to say, this Sardaukar is offers his services in the fight against the Enemy.

My Chapterhouse ending theory. Frank was really prescient and Marty and Daniel (the Enemy) are actually Brian and Kevin coming to destroy Frank's universe. Frank tried to warn us but we didn't heed that warning in time. :wink:
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
JustSomeGuy

Re: Sardaukar Capt has been deployed

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Welcome.
I bring nothing to the table.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Welcome (how many sock puppets does this SandChigger guy need anyway? We've got new members coming out of the woodwork!)
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
trang

Post by trang »

well met and welcome, sorry you had to endure the trash scrawled by the twits.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:lol: Welcome!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan!

And hello again. :)