Steve Jobs Dies

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Steve Jobs Dies

Post by Freakzilla »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve- ... d=14383813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Re: Steve Jobs Dies

Post by trang »

not a fan of his, but Wish him Rest in peace, and sorry to his family for their loss.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I was going to say that was epic until I remembered that the WBC is basically the poster child of Christian hypocrisy.

Still, that pic needs to be plastered everywhere.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

This is not death, this is a revolution.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Ampoliros wrote:I was going to say that was epic until I remembered that the WBC is basically the poster child of Christian hypocrisy.

Still, that pic needs to be plastered everywhere.
Yeah, I just looked at her actual Twitter page, clicked on that tweet and it actually has the Twitter for iPhone part. Amazing.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Ampoliros wrote:the WBC is basically the poster child of Christian hypocrisy.
Those people aren't Christians. What a disgrace.
I bring nothing to the table.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The first time I heard about them I thought it was a joke, like http://www.landoverbaptist.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I live about 25 miles from their church. They are sick, sick individuals and in no way are representative of the other Christian fundies. These guys are a whole 'nother level WORSE.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

And on point...I haven't owned an Apple product for over 25 years, but I can totally respect this guy. Say what you want about his gadgets or his business model. I truly believe he saw possibilities, not dollars, and he made it happen, traits sorely lacking these days.

Godspeed, Steve. :(
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think jobs knew how to make tech products that appealed to nontechnical people. Apple products have rarely been on the forefront of technology, but usability and aesthetics brought that tech to the masses. That was Jobs' vision.

I had never owned an apple product until I won a 1st gen iPod nano in a competition at work. I had owned a couple of mp3 players before, but the nano was just *better*. I used to work for a very successful phone manufacturer, who prided themselves - quite rightly - on their user friendly interface and smartphone features. I now use an iPhone.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Oh yes they are, they're just crazy ones. Being Christian doesn't require that you be GOOD at it, just that you believe in it... of course they don't repesent the whole!

I think those might be the guys that were trying to come up into Canada to picket a funeral and our Border Guard to em to go home. :lol:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Well I'd say the vast majority of the organized church, especially the evangelical branches aren't christian.

You don't have to be christian to be the poster child for its hypocrisy.

Also, I loved the bit where Sheila Phelps claimed God invented the iphone. Pure insanity. We need to lock those people up.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ampoliros wrote:Also, I loved the bit where Sheila Phelps claimed God invented the iphone. Pure insanity. We need to lock those people up.
he didn't ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Ampoliros wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:
Well I'd say the vast majority of the organized church, especially the evangelical branches aren't christian.

You don't have to be christian to be the poster child for its hypocrisy.

Also, I loved the bit where Sheila Phelps claimed God invented the iphone. Pure insanity. We need to lock those people up.
He invented this forum. :wink:

Also, I'm starting to get tired of the whole phrase, "those aren't real Christians," whenever a group acts in some particular way. I get what you mean because I used to be one of what I thought was a "Real Christian," but I'm starting to think it's just a way to placate those who don't cram their beliefs down our collective throats.

Wouldn't a "Real Christian" act just the way they're acting? Aren't they working to further their agenda in accordance with their beliefs (which come from the bible)? When we act like they don't represent some aspect of Christianity we take away accountability from the collective group.

It doesn't just happen with Christians either.

People say the religious nuts focused on social issues and the Tea Baggers aren't real Republicans. Well they sure as hell control what's going on in that party right now. Real Republicans haven't been in charge of that party in decades.

What makes a Real Christian, and what gives someone the right to define that group?

Bill O'Reilly said that the recent shooter in Norway wasn't a real Christian because a Real Christian wouldn't do that. Seems a little too convenient to say that and simply avoid the issue.

I'm not trying to slam Ampoliros here, just trying to get my head around why people are so quick to use the term.

ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

I could reply...but I'm not sure where it would lead...
A Thing of Eternity

I'm with Nekhrun entirely on this one, and I originally came to that conclusion when I first read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. He starts off by ranting (not really ranting) about how if we keep redefining certain words because we like them or don't like them we strip them of all meaning - IF SOMEONE BELIEVES IN JESUS CHRIST (AS SAVIOUR) THEN THEY ARE CHRISTIAN, END OF STORY. It doesn't matter how crazy they are, or what all their specific beliefs are AT ALL. (You can say they're not a GOOD Christian, or are a completely confused Christian, but NOT that they are not Christian).

End of story. Ridiculous that this even has to be discussed, it's not debatable.

While ranting, I also DISPISE when certain Christian groups, (other religions guilty of this too, Sikhs come to mind,it's just the Christians that I always hear saying it around here) say that they are "not a religion", they're a "way of life" or a "faith" or some other completely nonsense BABBLE. I even had one guy tell me once that his sect of Xianity wasn't a religion because they don't judge people WTF? Firstly, yes, yes they do, and secondly, WTF has that to do with being a religion?!

If it's a belief system involving the supernatural, it's a GODSDAMNED RELIGION! Let it go, I don't care how much people WANT to not be a religion because they don't like that word, they don't get to redefine it just because they don't like it. It applies to them, they need to get over it and move on with their damned lives.

endrant.
Simon

Post by Simon »

::wouldn't call himself "a man of faith", but prays real hard anyway:: "BillGatesBillGatesBillGates..."

I mean hey, if the powers that be are in a taking mood... :bow-yellow: (I think it's called a "two-fer" lol)
A Thing of Eternity

Naw, let's keep him around, he gives away most of his money.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:endrant.
:lol: That's kind of how I felt going on about it this morning. It's just been something I've needed to get off my chest for awhile. Half way through I was thinking, maybe I should just write a blog about this, but I ended the rant and went to work.
ErasOmnius wrote:I could reply...but I'm not sure where it would lead...
Kind of like your post here :roll:

A Thing of Eternity

It just drives me absolutely up the wall, because when people destroy words like that it makes actual conversation harder and harder. Yes, "religious" has come to have a lot of negative associations, too bad - the word means what the word means, no getting around it, you can't just try to walk away from it.

I can't call a dog "not a dog" because it doesn't act the way I personally believe a dog should act. I can't say a person isn't human just because they're a piece of work.

And the irony is that while all the moderate Christians are looking at the wingnuts and saying "well, they're not really Christian because blah blah blah BULLSHIT", those extremists are looking at the moderates and saying the exact same thing.

Horrible, just horrible.

However, I'm going to start saying that I am not a redhead, because redheads have bad tempers and I don't - even though I have red hair, I'm not REALLY a redhead. :roll:

Hmmmmm.... I guess that wasn't the end of the rant before... hopefully this is!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

You both make good points. I try not to be absolute about anything: that's the thing I hate the most about groups like the WBC that transform a faith into an 'absolute'.

Its certainly a christian problem when people who claim that mantel act in a manner completely unbecoming of the way of life they claim to follow.

So I guess I should call my labeling of those types of groups as a personal judgement based on what Christ's message was to me. And top it off with mentioning that I am definitely not a christian. I think spirituality is important, and I hate it when people use it as a shield to justify whatever position they are taking.
A Thing of Eternity

Oh I hate it when it's used as a sheild for their nonsense too! Don't forget that in many case's it's also a part of the cause of the nonsense though. :wink: (not the whole cause, or all religious people would be nutters obviously!)

I just go nuts about this topic because it shows a disconnect with reality, people think they can change what a thing is by changing it's name, but a rose by any other name... :wink:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I think when people are saying things like that it is a reaction to the implicit meaning that being a Christian necessarily implies *insert crazy act*. I.e. they are reacting to the suggestion that being a Christian is equivalent to being a mass murderer or whatever.

In other words, as is completely typical, both sides are hopelessly illogical. (By sides I mean those that use the term 'real *something* and those that misinterpret events as defining certain terms).

It is like saying one is a mathematician while believing that 1 is a prime. You should not take such a person too seriously, or as defining what mathematics is like. Similarly, if someone can be shown to violate the basic tenets of their belief system, they can hardly be taken as a serious example of a believer of that system. (Of course, with the interpretational difficulties involved in a religion, this becomes more delicate).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
trang

Post by trang »

Gates doesn't have to be around to give away his money, the foundation is there for that. Gates really isnt doing any Microsoft anymore, its his successor idiot extraordinaire, Steve Ballmer, I think he is even worse for Microsoft. The guy who should have kept with Microsoft was Paul allen, but he saw the light early and left.

Steve Jobs end is an impact to where technology goes (at least for the iclone crowd), and I think it will open up a bit, instead of having his megalomaniac touch on it. Apple products work well, I will give them that, but its their way or no way. Choice is the spice of life, and we should be allowed choices.

The Pirates of Silicon Valley are going down, the barber says next....
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."