Hello, doing research on Dune :)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Moonleaf

Hello, doing research on Dune :)

Post by Moonleaf »

Hello, I'm Angelo from Greece and I come to this forum seeking help.

Where would be the best place to post a question about the characteristics of some of the world's biggest factions? I can't figure out the logic behind the different forum sections. I'm probably looking for a 'General Discussion'...

I will use the information in designing a free print&play board game based on Dune

EDIT: Found it myself. I'm used to seeing General as the first choice, didn't look at the bottom :P
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Hello, doing research on Dune :)

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome, a word of caution - the HLP, the people who own the rights to Herbert's work, are really bad people. There was an amateur film group in Spain that spent years making a Dune movie, that they were planning on releasing for free - and the HLP sent their lawyers after them and threatened to sue them, made them remove all traces of it from the internet and to never release it. :evil:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

And all basically because they MIGHT make a new Dune movie.

How many years have they been talking about that now?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Hey, Moonleaf.

About this movie project...
A Thing of Eternity wrote:the HLP sent their lawyers after them and threatened to sue them, made them remove all traces of it from the internet and to never release it.
Freakzilla wrote:And all basically because they MIGHT make a new Dune movie.
I didn't know this had happened. What horrible people! I mean, never mind the movie that they want to do- why couldn't they have latched on to this independent project? I mean, made it like a partnership sort of thing, something to draw attention to their shit books and projects. It's like I want to give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes as to what sort of people they are, but come on. It's not just that they're assholes, it's that they're stupid assholes. They could have taken this in such a positive direction. Fuck those people.
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

JustSomeGuy wrote:Hey, Moonleaf.

About this movie project...
A Thing of Eternity wrote:the HLP sent their lawyers after them and threatened to sue them, made them remove all traces of it from the internet and to never release it.
Freakzilla wrote:And all basically because they MIGHT make a new Dune movie.
I didn't know this had happened. What horrible people! I mean, never mind the movie that they want to do- why couldn't they have latched on to this independent project? I mean, made it like a partnership sort of thing, something to draw attention to their shit books and projects. It's like I want to give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes as to what sort of people they are, but come on. It's not just that they're assholes, it's that they're stupid assholes. They could have taken this in such a positive direction. Fuck those people.
Oh yeah, it happened just a little while before I first got involved in Dune online, terrible stuff - the HLP are seriously bad human beings, we don't just say that because we don't like the new books!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It looked like it was going to be really good, too. Did anyone save those pictures?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:It looked like it was going to be really good, too. Did anyone save those pictures?
http://www.ibdof.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=118175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An look at the bottom of the first post on this page for links to all of the debates we had at the time:

http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Man, I've said it before, I don't get angry easily, but what the HLP did to them seriously sickens me. If I had the money I'd personally fund lawyers for those guys. Shit, that makes me angry.
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Wow. I have even watched a Batman fan made movie once. That sounds terrible. I am inclined to delete all my posts :-( what if they find out?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

If you were planning on releasing it as a product for purchase, or any money would have been changing hands, they would definitely be all over you like flies on shit.

If, that is, they could be distracted from the smell of the shit they've been putting out in book form for the last decade! ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Oh, no money will be earned from this game, I plan to distribute it freely. I guess that even the idea could make these people have an allergic reaction :P

Certainly, if the game proves to be very good, I will just re-theme it before trying to publish it
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I believe someone had to do that with a video game for the same reason.
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Fantasy Flight Games obtained the rights to reprint Dune:the Board Game from 1979. They never managed to obtain the copyrights, thus they will reprint it rethemed in their Twilight Imperium world with the name Rex
A Thing of Eternity

No money was to be earned by that fan film either, and look how that turned out...
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Hm, looking at Dune mainpage I found this:
Frank Herbert's Cease Fire Film
2011-06-18
Frank Herbert's short story CEASE FIRE has been made into a student film. We wish Jacob Collins lots of luck with this project!
http://www.avclub.com/denver/articles/l ... -st,57711/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could it be they changed their policy? Or is it a different situation?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's not Dune related. All this is because they MIGHT make a movie.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

That's right, this isn't so much because they're just random assholes that like shutting stuff like this down. This is all because there's been talks of a new Dune movie for years now, and for some reason they see all things Dune related as a threat to them, they seem to be holding out until after this movie comes out then will try to make as much cash as possible (not that it's going to come out...).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It might get made but if they have anything to do with it it will suck pond water thru a bent straw.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Moonleaf wrote:Oh, no money will be earned from this game, I plan to distribute it freely. I guess that even the idea could make these people have an allergic reaction :P

Certainly, if the game proves to be very good, I will just re-theme it before trying to publish it
Doesn't matter, they even shut down the Dune space on Second Life. It was turned into something else (Star Wars themed I think).
http://futurismic.com/2009/04/09/dune-r ... wn-notice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck! Hope you've got money ready to respond to a lawsuit.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Nekhrun wrote:
Moonleaf wrote:Oh, no money will be earned from this game, I plan to distribute it freely. I guess that even the idea could make these people have an allergic reaction :P

Doesn't matter, they even shut down the Dune space on Second Life. It was turned into something else (Star Wars themed I think).
http://futurismic.com/2009/04/09/dune-r" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wn-notice/

Good luck! Hope you've got money ready to respond to a lawsuit.

Oh, wow! The more I learn about these people... :puke:Brian Herbert
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

:puke:Kevin J. Anderson
Last edited by JustSomeGuy on 22 Sep 2011 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

:puke:Anyone in their camp
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:this isn't so much because they're just random assholes that like shutting stuff like this down.
Because that's exactly what they are. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:this isn't so much because they're just random assholes that like shutting stuff like this down.
Because that's exactly what they are. :lol:
Well yes, but there's a method of sorts to the asshole-ness.