Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Demerzel

Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Post by Demerzel »

I've read until CH:D and was annoyed at the cliffhanger at the end. Should I read the next two books released by the son and his pal for the sake of completing the story?
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
JustSomeGuy

Re: Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Post by JustSomeGuy »

No.
I bring nothing to the table.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

There is one simple answer to that question and that is NO! .... and that is the answer you might expect on a site full of Orthodox Herbertarians. If you haven't read any of the Atrocities yet I would consider you a happy man and wish you will never have to read any of them. Of course it isn't up to anybody else than yourself to decide which books to read. I can not un-read them anymore and am tarnished by them for the rest of my life.

I think the best you can do is read the part of this forum "dedicated" to the Atrocities and perhaps that gives you enough information to make up you own mind. For the love of everything I hold dear I simply can not advise you to read them ... in my book that would be committing a premeditated act of crime.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Cliffhanger is the right word, as it's like walking at the edge of a cliff and thinking how cool it would be to just jump casually over...
But you don't do it because you know it's not all free fall, well in this case it's the same apart from the fact that both fall and landing will be painful.

Unless you have selective memory don't !

They add NOTHING to Dune, they take everything that was great about it and then it's like watching K and jabecca wiping the sweat of their respective butt cracks with it after a session of hardcore editing.

(don't try to picture that either, we are trained amateurs and should not be imitated, can't face the lawsuits)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Hmm so how do I get the license to join in the KJA BH flamefest?
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Exactly. To hate a thing you must know a thing, so read them, but only buy them on the secondary bookseller market. Not one more cent in those assholes' hands.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Part of me says read them, because curiosity will eventually get you anyways, but curiosity killed the damned cat apparently. The only book in my entire life that I actually regretted reading was Sandworms of Dune, it actually made me like Dune less for a year or two...
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Read the rest of the FH books. Then go find the McDune books used and let us know what you think. I'm inclined to advise you against that path, but it's really the only way to really understand the hate.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

No! Don't do it!
If you must read one their books, try House Atreides, and then go from there. Remember, it's not something you can ever undo.
You know what? It just doesn't matter. I don't think you'll be able to overcome the temptation to read at least one of the books, so you might as well go straight to Hunters.
I was able to get through House Atreides, maybe half of House Harkonnen, and I forget how far into Hunters I got. I get upset just thinking about it. :doh:
If you do read the book/s, please post your thoughts.

Don't do it...
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Demerzel wrote:I've read until CH:D and was annoyed at the cliffhanger at the end. Should I read the next two books released by the son and his pal for the sake of completing the story?
My personal solution has been to read _about_ them (apart from the two first chapters they published, I ordered them for free and they did not work as the publishing house' ad department expected). I read quotes and outlines and knowing that Paul joined the circus, that Marty and Daniel were evil machines, that ultra-spice and an ultra-Kwisatz Haderach gets invented along the way... let's just say I recognise this as another universe. One that mocks Frank's universe.

So that is my advice; read about them. That way, you get all your license, and all of the 'Wait! What?' moments and don't feel quite as... tainted.

You will find more serious thoughts on what comes after Chapterhouse in a random post around here, than from KJA. Who was the guy with the interesting 'everything leads up to a experiences and personality over time thematics'? That was interesting (and fits Frank's thoughts on computers vs man).
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I could tell you to read them, but then you would hate me.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

If you do read them, go straight into themm without reading the Legends series first. We've always wanted feedback from someone who did this to show just how little sense the final 2 books make in relation to the original series.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

You WILL feel tainted.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you do read them, go straight into themm without reading the Legends series first. We've always wanted feedback from someone who did this to show just how little sense the final 2 books make in relation to the original series.

THIS! :pray: :pray: :pray:
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

I've read ABOUT the last two books while ago (wikipedia seems to have a larger plot for the sequels than for the original series). If I remember correctly, they involve way too many dei ex machina including a switch which turns off all the facedancers? Honestly, that is funny :D.
A Thing of Eternity

Dude you won't believe it if you don't read it, I'll say that much. Sandworms of Dune is literally one of the single worst works of fiction by any author, ever.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Demerzel wrote:I've read until CH:D and was annoyed at the cliffhanger at the end.
A Dune cliffhanger ? Seriously ? Hey dude, it's DUNE, not Hollywood ...

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Sandworms of Dune is literally one of the single worst works of fiction by any author, ever.
Amen
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you do read them, go straight into themm without reading the Legends series first. We've always wanted feedback from someone who did this to show just how little sense the final 2 books make in relation to the original series.

I did that. The only book by the twin twats I've ever bought, brought home and read is Hunters.

The weird thing is that I can't remember much of it. Something about a forest and tall trees, whatsername volunteering to be an axlotl tank...and that's about the sum of what I can recall.

You could say it's such a mediocre piece of fiction that it doesn't stick in the memory - but I rather think my brain had mercy upon my soul by shutting out the recall of any of it.
      Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

J-V.T. Askaris wrote:
      Demerzel wrote:I've read until CH:D and was annoyed at the cliffhanger at the end.
      A Dune cliffhanger ? Seriously ? Hey dude, it's DUNE, not Hollywood ...
      Are you implying that the final chapter about Daniel and Marty WASN'T a cliffhanger? Add to that the no-ship leaving Chapterhouse. Those just opened up the neat ending of Murbella uniting the BG and the Honored Matres. Sort of like the post-credit revelations in movies which are becoming a fad nowadays.
      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
      Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

« I have always believed that last two books that Frank Herbert wrote before his death were going to be part of a trilogy, and that he already had written down the global outline of the third book of that trilogy. Although not everybody agrees on the issue whether he was going to write more books, almost everybody feels that no one can replace him in doing so. For a long time it was the firm belief of his son, Brian Herbert, that we should allow the completed works speak for themselves. Or to quote Herbert from the books himself:
      • Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'
      Some people believe that there was not going to be another book, as they have come to the conclusion that Daniel and Marty at the end of the last book, are Frank and Beverly in disguise, especially from reading the last sentence of the book, where Daniel says:
      • "Gholas. He's welcome to them."
      And although this interpretation is strengthed by the Eulogy for Beverly by Frank in the back of the book, it would not surprise me, that he has put this in, with the thought in mind that he might not be able to finish his last book in the series. The death of Beverly might have been too much for him.

The definite answer on this issue was given in the official Dune books web site, where it says:
      • Shortly before his death, Frank Herbert had begun work on DUNE 7, and he had discussed writing possible future Dune projects with Brian. Because of the beautiful and moving dedication to Beverly Herbert, Brian's mother, in Dune: Chapterhouse, for ten years Brian felt that the story should stop there, even though the last novel ends on a cliffhanger.
      »

Frans Faase
      Last edited by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ on 06 Sep 2011 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
        Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
        ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
          Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Clever, especially the excerpt from Dune. This makes sense, thanks for sharing it.
          Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

IIRC it was also the Books 7 that started most of the "We're not wrong, Frank was" bullshit they try to pull. Nullifing the Golden Path, God will save you in the end, Duncan as the one true hero-leader. (Oh, I'm sorry, I should have put Spoiler on that...)

Waterworms.
          Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Yeah I read about that. Water worms. I wondered.. HOW? Water KILLS them, now they live in it. Total reversal. That's some cool shit genetic engineering bros.
          A Thing of Eternity

Demerzel wrote:Yeah I read about that. Water worms. I wondered.. HOW? Water KILLS them, now they live in it. Total reversal. That's some cool shit genetic engineering bros.
          Oh dude it gets better/worse. Every stupid thing you could imagine happens, and all the characters have an IQ of around 40.
          JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Oh dude it gets better/worse. Every stupid thing you could imagine happens, and all the characters have an IQ of around 40.
          That REALLY pissed me off. The characters were all supposed to be so smart, but they were idiots!