Another Musical Instrument Question

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

MetaCugel8262

Re: Another Musical Instrument Question

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Why bother? Every time I try to explain you rigidly stay put. So I'm trying a more visual and musical approach. These are not randomly selected videos. The fact that you refuse to see that also gets back to the point this series of words I am writing started at.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:Why bother? Every time I try to explain you rigidly stay put. So I'm trying a more visual and musical approach. These are not randomly selected videos. The fact that you refuse to see that also gets back to the point this series of words I am writing started at.
I didn't refuse to see that - I knew damned well you were chosing music videos to try and show your point of view. I simply asked "what eternity thing?" because I'd never brought up the subject (nor had anyone else) and you said you were replying to it. I also asked why you thought I wanted to censor you, because I do not.

I'm not being rigid - you're the one who speaks in absolutes and refuses to debate. Every time I prove that you've said something incorrect you just change the subject or start making accusations - THAT is being rigid and unopen.

I've conceded several adjustments on my point of view in this thread already - read my posts here and you'll see that I've already proven I'm an open mind.

You on the other hand resort to name calling and avoiding the subject. Who's mind is closed here?
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Oh, sorry. It's related to that other posters Icon. Echo verses voyage. Arrow versus circle. Infinite possibilites and endless change versus endlessly repeating the same mistakes and never as a species learning from the past.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
A Thing of Eternity

MetaCugel8262 wrote:Oh, sorry. It's related to that other posters Icon. Echo verses voyage. Arrow versus circle. Infinite possibilites and endless change versus endlessly repeating the same mistakes and never as a species learning from the past.
Please elaborate (and which user are you referring to? I want to look), I'm actually curious where you're going with this.

Still have no idea why you'd think me or anyone else wants to censor you though.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:Oh, sorry. It's related to that other posters Icon. Echo verses voyage. Arrow versus circle. Infinite possibilites and endless change versus endlessly repeating the same mistakes and never as a species learning from the past.
You mean my Frank Herbert icon?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe if you commented on WHY you were posting the video some confusion could be avoided.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:Maybe if you commented on WHY you were posting the video some confusion could be avoided.
I think he/she has decided we do not understand words, so he/she is attempting non-word-based communication.

The reality being that he/she simply couldn't debate in any real way, so gave up and started changing the subject and insulting people to draw attention away from the lack of response to my positions.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Hey, we're all descended from Adam and Eve, right?
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Sorry, that was a response to an older post.
by MetaCugel8262 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:30 am

I think it time for many of us to admit our roots are not in any way singular. It is almost certain that if you are African American or Native American, you carry within you a certain percentage of the European lines, and if you are from old European lines you are likely to have a least a small amount of Native American(like myself). And from a cultural point of view, that and it's American cousin, are the foundation of us all. We are what we are, admit it and move on, because without it, whatever the tragedies involved, none of us would be here now.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Alright, I'm caught up now. You know, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about- and he, too, made some concessions. Yeah, he may be an asshole, but, you know, whatever. Maybe he's just really smart, or knowledgeable. Maybe he's just an asshole. Maybe you're the asshole. Maybe I'm an asshole. Maybe we're all assholes. Maybe I should shut up now. Yeah...
I like guitar music.

I think it was D Pope that posted this:

I like it.
A Thing of Eternity

:lol:

Ha, or he sounds like someone spewing babble. :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I know I'm an asshole, but Charo's pretty damned good.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I'm with crysknife on this one. Just slap the idiot silly.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

My sphincter itches.

Rhythmically. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Hey Metta World Peace, since you are just a fountain of knowledge, can you please answer my original question? What guitar should I get!? Geez, buddy.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What kind of music do you want to play?
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Thank you!!!!

I like to play pretty much any kind of rock, lots of alternative and 90s stuff, as well as Beatles and Led Zeppelin style old stuff. I'm looking at hollow body guitars right now, basically because I love how the classic look, and the feel of them. They feel more "alive" when you play them, like acoustic guitars, and unlike solid body electrics which are just blocks of wood that sound good when you plug them in, but can still get that nice electric twang.
I've played and loved Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls, the two industry standards, at guitar stores, and loved them, but they're out of my price range, as is the Gretsch White Falcon, the top hollow-body in the business, and a beauty with ridiculously smooth tones.

So...I'm looking at these two:

This one's thicker bodied, and feels more like an acoustic like an electric. Great for blues and jazz, too. I've heard it described as the "poor man's White Falcon".

This is the one I'm leaning towards a little more, its an inch thinner, and has more "rockability". Both are 499$. I'v been playing six string guitar on a Peavey 99$ guitar for about a year. Been playing bass guitar for eight years, and I'm pretty good at both at this point.

(Meta reminds me of myself when I'm trying to bullshit an essay and sound intelligent....huh...)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You know, Gibson and Fender have some models that might be more in your price range. I just saw a Fender Starcaster with an amp for under $200 on Amazon.

Those hollow bodies are going to give you more Beatles than Led Zeppelin.
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

The only things that really matter on an electric guitar for sound are the electronics. And the most important on the electronics is the tone capacitor. The smaller the cap value the more brightness you will get out of a guitar, the larger caps will give more dark tones. I think if the hollow bodies are what you like then stick with them. They will probably come with a .047 cap which is pretty big but also pretty standard. If you change it to a .01 cap you will get much better tone all around.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Interesting advice. About the cheaper Gibson and Fender models; I have tried a Starcaster, and I have to say that I did not like it at all. It went out of tune after about five minutes of playing and it just felt really cheap, and the tone was pretty narrow. This wasn't a brand-new one, but still, I wasn't really a fan. However, I've liked the Epiphones (entry level Gibson-owned company) that I've played, they are a lot closer to Gibsons than Squiers are to Fenders it seems.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, there's a reason cheaper guitars are cheaper.
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I have an epiphone les Paul that I love. My guitar player that has been playing for 40 years swears by them.
A Thing of Eternity

Crysknife wrote:The only things that really matter on an electric guitar for sound are the electronics. And the most important on the electronics is the tone capacitor. The smaller the cap value the more brightness you will get out of a guitar, the larger caps will give more dark tones. I think if the hollow bodies are what you like then stick with them. They will probably come with a .047 cap which is pretty big but also pretty standard. If you change it to a .01 cap you will get much better tone all around.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:
I dissagree that the electronics are the only thing that really matters., the construction and materials have a big influence on the sound as well - because of how they sap different frequency ranges out of the strings (because the pickups don't hear sound, just magnetic fluctuations, the tone is a combination of how the electronics sound and how the string is moving, and how the string is moving is massively dependant on the other physical aspects of the guitar).

No electronics will ever make a solid body sound like a hollow, or vice versa.

Electronics are huge though, and thankfully extremely easy to upgrade (pickups are usually one of the main weak points on cheap guitars). I agree about upgrading the cap too (IF you like brighter tone) - but I'd rather have good pickups through a cap I didn't like than bad pickups though a cap I preferred. That's my personal preferance though.

I generally modify guitars pretty heavily. My main G&L has insane electronics, all passive and I have coil tap for one pickup (used to do both but I never ever use coil tap on the bridge pickup so I changed it to do just the neck), it also has a switch that reverses the polarity of the neck pickup - so it sounds the same unless combined with the bridge p/u, in which case it sounds like a phazer pedal that stopped sweeping, very cool. I also have 2 tone controls (both control both p/us) - one is normal and rolls off the high frequencies, the other is something I've only ever seen on this one guitar, it actually rolls off the low frequencies and is super useful.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Yes, I agree that construction really matters. But for the most part the electronics are most important. You can get good sounds out of many lesser guitars with the right electronics. Another factor would be the amp of course, solid state or tube for example. But the reality is most guitars over 300 are going to be costructed pretty well. Most will have a very hard rosewood or ebony fretboard which allow more of the strings energy to stay within the string rather than be absorbed by a softer wood that would dampen sound. But in the end, you can put good electroncs on a brick and make sound good. I wasn't trying to say the construction wasn't important though. Was wondering if someone would call me out on that.
A Thing of Eternity

:wink:

I very much agree, if a cheap guitar feels nice in your hands it can absolutely be made into a far better instrument by upgrading the electronics - it's always nice to have the really good higher end work and woods, but at the end of the day there's really only so much difference between the quality of a $300 and $3000 guitar.

And I've always thought one of the first things someone should do is take their guitar appart and learn about it. There's nothing scary inside a guitar, the electronics are almost cave-man primitive.

Other easy and excellent upgrades are tuning pegs (massive difference with good ones - especially locking tuning pegs, dear gods do I love my locking schallers (no winds for the string means tuning stability is vastly improved)), nut (graphtech, self lubricating, love em), saddles (same thing, graphtech unless you're one of the people that doesn't like the sound of em, when I switched to graphtech saddles I broke easily a tenth as many strings).

EDIT: by "tuning pegs" I mean entire machine heads, just using funny incorrect lingo.

I remember one guy that shopped at our store - he wanted the brightest tone possible, so he actually removed all the controls from his guitar and just wired the bridge pickupp directly to the output. I always thought that was one of the funnier mods I've ever seen.
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 12 Dec 2011 03:59, edited 1 time in total.