The new "Dune" boardgame

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

The new "Dune" boardgame

Post by TheDukester »

So Fantasy Flight Games finally released its "Dune" project, three years after its original announcement:

http://bit.ly/purVBH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were, of course, utterly blocked by KJA and his trained pets at the HLP from using anything from either the original Dune board game (a true classic from 1979) or any Dune content from the books, so they did what they could. Basically, that meant taking the mechanics from the original game and transferring them to their own Twilight: Imperium setting. Since game mechanics are not (generally) protected by copyright, KJA and his troupe of monkeys couldn't do anything about that.

My favorite part from the link above:

"A few years ago, when FFG first acquired the rights to this amazing game system (tersely called the “Simultaneous Dial Based Order System”), we sought to also acquire the Dune literary license, in order to create a new edition of the classic Avalon Hill implementation.

However, despite significant effort and outreach, it was not possible for FFG to acquire this license, so instead we decided to use the game system in our own popular Twilight Imperium universe."

Which easily translates to: "Kevin J. Anderson is a worthless douchebag."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: The new "Dune" boardgame

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

What blows my mind is WHY? As far as the HLP is concerned this would be FREE MONEY. It wouldn't cost them a penny of investment, it's someone else doing work to revive something that's been dead for, what, 30 years? From what I've heard they've alsoo been blocking attemps at video games... it's weird.

When they do shit like shut down amateurs making Dune films, or force Second Life to destroy it's Dune segment (or whatever the gamer folks call them), that shit makes sense to me. It's simple, they're greedy and frankly they're out to get people who have no interest in making money off of Dune, people who just want to enjoy Dune and spread their love of it. It's still stupid (these things would increase sales of the books for sure), but I get it, they're assholes, end of story.

But when someone comes to them, attempting to HAND THEM MONEY for something they will NEVER themselves do...

... and that point they're far beyond assholes out to get good honest people. They're also idiots.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

You know how it is, Thing. The HLP never put the Dune name on *anything* unless doing so will honor the legacy of Frank Herbert. They'd never endorse something substandard just for the money.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I wonder if it has anything to do with what is accepted as canon.

More than likely it has to do with any and all merchandising rights being tied to the 'movie'.

Here's an idea HLP, forget the film and then all these other projects will open up.

Wait, your a bunch of money-grubbers who have sold your Father's legacy to a rapist. I mean that to be as harsh as it sounds.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

I doubt it has to do with canon, but good point about the movie - that's the ONLY thing that makes any sense to me other than them literally being retarded. They figure the movie will eventually happen, at which time they can renegotiate all this shit and make more off of it than if they did it before the movie is out.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The official movie being in negotiation was the purported reason for quashing the Spanish fan film.

Face it: the Herbert genius died with Frank. These fucktards are lucky to manage breathing and typing at the same time. (And I figure Byron and Kimmie hold their breath.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

They've certainly been consistent in stonewalling all outside projects that come their way. They've developed quite the reputation.

Historically, TheKevin's first act with the HLP — other than brainwashing Bobo Neckbolts, of course — had to do with gaming, too. He first made sure his name was on the role-playing game from Last Unicorn Games, then stood by while the entire project was later killed.

Since then, the HLP has kept it about as simple as could be: an annual McDune book and holding out to get a feature film made. That's been about it.

As to why ... I'm not totally sure, but I have my theories:

1. Control. With Anderhack, it's all about control, and he can't control outside projects.

2. Stupidity. These are very stupid people we're talking about here. Simpler is better. Pointing Bobo to the bank once per year is already difficult enough.

3. The movie. Again, back to the invisible movie. They know that a feature film will pay them exponentially more than 15 small projects combined, so they've just said "why bother?" with all the smaller stuff.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah I was wondering how much KJA's ego was playing havoc with this, requiring name placement to pad his ever growing parasitic resume.

Heck, even Frank himself was braindead when it came to money, at least according to Dreamer of Dune.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:Yeah I was wondering how much KJA's ego was playing havoc with this, requiring name placement to pad his ever growing parasitic resume.
Keith's name is in big type at the front of the RPG book, even though he had nothing to do with it. By all indications, he has zero gaming background.

But it allowed him to check off that "game designer" box on his List of Awesome Life Achievements. Much like he's so desperate to do with "movie producer."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I'm pretty sure Keith was a gamer back in the day. IIRC his first two or three books were novelizations of gaming campaigns he and his buddies did.

I'm sure his gaming prowess is as keen as his writing abilities.

"I pull out my +5 vorpal sword and smite those kobolds!"

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Isn't a vorpol sword by definition +5, oops, I've said too much. :oops:
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

TheDukester wrote: 3. The movie. Again, back to the invisible movie. They know that a feature film will pay them exponentially more than 15 small projects combined, so they've just said "why bother?" with all the smaller stuff.
why allow games when you're waiting for the movie tie-in?
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: - that's the ONLY thing that makes any sense to me other than them literally being retarded.

I'll take "literally retarded" For The Win, Alan ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: - that's the ONLY thing that makes any sense to me other than them literally being retarded.

I'll take "literally retarded" For The Win, Alan ....
That's what I've decided I'm going with too, the decisions they make seem 100% like what young children would come up with, thinking they had some brilliant scheme up their sleeves when in reality it's complete jibberish.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Apjak wrote:
TheDukester wrote: 3. The movie. Again, back to the invisible movie. They know that a feature film will pay them exponentially more than 15 small projects combined, so they've just said "why bother?" with all the smaller stuff.
why allow games when you're waiting for the movie tie-in?
To prove to potential investors that your property has vibrant and active fanbase potential... no wait, we have the non-award winning series of novels that's not a series.

A wonderful blend of stupidity and ego. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:Isn't a vorpol sword by definition +5, oops, I've said too much. :oops:
Always best to incessantly remind your audience, no?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

The reason they block all attempts at new Dune products is because they actually believe that they've got the next Star Wars franchise when the next movie comes out. They are completely blind to the fact that it will never be the kind of on-screen success or merchandise tie-in that other films are. They're holding out for billions (that will never come) instead of keeping the product itself alive and in the public eye.

Also they're all dumb.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Omphalos wrote:I'm pretty sure Keith was a gamer back in the day. IIRC his first two or three books were novelizations of gaming campaigns he and his buddies did.

I'm sure his gaming prowess is as keen as his writing abilities.

"I pull out my +5 vorpal sword and smite those kobolds!"
http://grindingtovalhalla.wordpress.com ... interview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kristine Kathryn Rusch wrote:The tavern exploded, everyone died, and Kevin never forgave me. In fact, he still gets mad about it if you mention it. (Mention it. Mention it.)
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Rusch and Anderson... talk about a pair with their pinkies firmly on the pulse of each other's sphincters! :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

Nekhrun wrote:The reason they block all attempts at new Dune products is because they actually believe that they've got the next Star Wars franchise when the next movie comes out. They are completely blind to the fact that it will never be the kind of on-screen success or merchandise tie-in that other films are. They're holding out for billions (that will never come) instead of keeping the product itself alive and in the public eye.

Also they're all dumb.
dumb and greedy...

arseholes :puke:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

For the record, a sword doesn't have to be +5 to be vorpal. They are separate bonuses.

What?
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Ampoliros wrote:For the record, a sword doesn't have to be +5 to be vorpal. They are separate bonuses.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8&NR=1[/youtube]
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos