Watchmen

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Trailer's up:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/17/ ... -stunning/

I hope the script and acting is as good as all the made-to-geekgasm appetizers fed in the trailer, but I'm still a bit worried.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

We're showing the trailer before Dark Knight, it does look promising.

Rob
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

It's been a long, long time since i read the Watchmen, but, as with all films these days, espceially comic book adaptations, i'mreally worried they will mess it up, as they frequently do. normally, i wouldn't be too bothered about adaptations being screwed, but they are taking on some of the greatest comics out there and doing serious damage. take a look at League of Extrodinary Gentlemen - ballsed up. Constantine - i have a whole rant about what is wrong with that one, but suffice to say ballsed up. V for Vendetta - ballsed up. yes, it had a very basic grasp of the plot, which i suppose i should be greatful for the fact that we got that, but they missed it altogether. it seems someone out there is out to make a lot of cash screwing over comic book writers, specifically Alan Moore. which is a shame. ah well, bring on the Sandman film (sarcasm by the way. i hope The Sandman film stays put in development hell). end of rant. for now.

as for the Dark Knight, I can't wait. Heath Ledger looks really, really good as the Joker, and from the trailers and teasers, plays him very well too.
I am a mortal god.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:as for the Dark Knight, I can't wait. Heath Ledger looks really, really good as the Joker, and from the trailers and teasers, plays him very well too.
Just saw the midnight showing...SPOILER warning here, just in case.

I thought basically everyone in this movie did a great job(Heath Ledger actually didn't overshadow the rest of the cast, which made me very happy; I was worried about that), and the movie itself was pretty damn good, too. I do have one major problem with the movie.

They completely failed at handling Batman's character in any decent way AT ALL. I feel the movie's interpretation of "the Dark Knight" was an utter failure and just very weak. I thought the entire point of Batman as the Dark Knight was that A) He actually killed his enemies(I may be wrong on this point, but I could have sworn that was the distinction), and B) He's just as insane as his enemies, especially the Joker. The movie paid too much attention to analyzing the insanity of the villains, and missed the major point: Batman is just like them, only fighting on the other side. He's the Joker working for the police and for the safety of people in Gotham, instead of wreaking havoc. The Joker himself makes this point in the movie, but it's never really addressed by anyone else. Batman is just the hero who does what he has to do. While I'm glad Batman didn't kill the Joker(as it's well pointed out, they need each other), I felt he should have gotten his hands dirty. Basically, the Dark Knight is way too noble and his own issues are never addressed, not even mentioned.

But it was good. It just makes me sad that they passed up an opportunity to make it even better than that.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Ahhhhhhhhh spoilers!!!! I must not read them :) Thanks for the warnings thou.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Phaedrus, there has been more than a couple re-do's of Batman through the ages. With a title like "Dark Knight," you would think that they would stay consistent with Frank Miller's Dark Knight comics from the 1990's, which is where the extreme version of Batman comes from. But with Christopher Nolan in charge, and with an actor like Christian Bale, Ill bet that they decided to make some changes to tell their story. And in that story the abnormal and destructive impulses that Batman felt were at least partly resolved at the end of the Batman Begins. He ended that movie coming to a better place because he sluffed off the vestiges of his guilt over his parents death by defeating the bad guy, burning down the mansion, resolving his relationship with his young girlfriend, and figuring out that he could do some good overall, even if he does bad things to get there.

Also, IIRC in Frank Miller's version it was not until Year Three that Batman went totally of the deep end. I think that he was screwed up still from his parents assassination and the transformation into Batman, but the real psychosis came later. Its a few choice encounters with The Joker that starts off the sharp downward spiral, I think. Anyone remember this? Rob? Did Robin get killed and that really started things? I obviously have not re-read the comics in years.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Also, IIRC in Frank Miller's version it was not until Year Three that Batman went totally of the deep end. I think that he was screwed up still from his parents assassination and the transformation into Batman, but the real psychosis came later. Its a few choice encounters with The Joker that starts off the sharp downward spiral, I think. Anyone remember this? Rob? Did Robin get killed and that really started things? I obviously have not re-read the comics in years.
You are correct that Batman didn't really get that dark until Robin was killed. Since then he's been completely obsessed with the death of his parents and the safety of those around him. The comics since No Man's Land have been pretty good.
orald

Post by orald »

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Also, IIRC in Frank Miller's version it was not until Year Three that Batman went totally of the deep end. I think that he was screwed up still from his parents assassination and the transformation into Batman, but the real psychosis came later. Its a few choice encounters with The Joker that starts off the sharp downward spiral, I think. Anyone remember this? Rob? Did Robin get killed and that really started things? I obviously have not re-read the comics in years.
You are correct that Batman didn't really get that dark until Robin was killed. Since then he's been completely obsessed with the death of his parents and the safety of those around him. The comics since No Man's Land have been pretty good.
Yea, I mean, whatever will he do without his Robin plaything? :P

Anyone could go bonkers if his/her sex-slave died. Look at Hyp. :)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

orald wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Yea, I mean, whatever will he do without his Robin plaything? :P

Anyone could go bonkers if his/her sex-slave died. Look at Hyp. :)
I'm still only a few hours away. :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And gawd how that must prey on your mind!

So near to that opulent source of carnal bliss...and yet so far.... :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:And gawd how that must prey on your mind!

So near to that opulent source of carnal bliss...and yet so far.... :lol:
Yeah, these gas prices are killing me!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Shove a tube up 'er ass and bottle the methane?

:D
trang

Post by trang »

I knew nothing of the watchman until the preview before the dark knight. About 20 seconds into the trailer I was interested.

I never really followed the comic's or anime as I grew, I watched the saturday morning versions of spiderman, the hulk, batman, fantastic four etc. In my early twenties I stumbled on a new set of comics, It appeared to be new super hero's, I believe it was called Justice, I followed it for a few issues and liked it but lost track and went back to sci-fi and fantasy reading (not that the comics dont fall under those categories, just didnt read comics).

I have been exposed to new things by a few friends at work, most in their late twenties, early thirties (most are big dune fans) and I find them great. Akira, Evangelion, Frank Miller's sin city-300-dark knight, Tod Mcfarlanes Spawn, and the Sandman. I am still new at them but they are pretty good and plan to follow them further.

Its fun overall to be exposed to new things, and makes work a hell of a lot more interesting.

Friend at work is gonna try and get me some of the watchmen stuff, if not he will guide me in the right direction and will hit the titles at the book store or order them online.

Look forward to more posts and info on the watchmen,
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

orald wrote:Siaynok FTW!
its siaynoq...Leto's fish speakers would wear your intestines as cloak liners if they read this blasphemy
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

trang wrote:I knew nothing of the watchman until the preview before the dark knight. About 20 seconds into the trailer I was interested.

I never really followed the comic's or anime as I grew, I watched the saturday morning versions of spiderman, the hulk, batman, fantastic four etc. In my early twenties I stumbled on a new set of comics, It appeared to be new super hero's, I believe it was called Justice, I followed it for a few issues and liked it but lost track and went back to sci-fi and fantasy reading (not that the comics dont fall under those categories, just didnt read comics).

I have been exposed to new things by a few friends at work, most in their late twenties, early thirties (most are big dune fans) and I find them great. Akira, Evangelion, Frank Miller's sin city-300-dark knight, Tod Mcfarlanes Spawn, and the Sandman. I am still new at them but they are pretty good and plan to follow them further.

Its fun overall to be exposed to new things, and makes work a hell of a lot more interesting.

Friend at work is gonna try and get me some of the watchmen stuff, if not he will guide me in the right direction and will hit the titles at the book store or order them online.

Look forward to more posts and info on the watchmen,
Trang
You know they're actually making hollywood versions of Akira and Evangelion, so far out of the info i've read in the internet, it seems like they're out to destroy great works. I'm a big fan of Akira and i simply throw up at the thought of seing leonardo dicaprio as kaneda, for christ's sake. Also i strongly advice anyone that has seen the movie to go and read the manga. Seriously go NOW!
I'm a bit aprehensive about the watchman movie, i have the feeling it's going to be one of those love or completly hate it classics. But then again i was aprehensive about Mortal Kombat vs DC but after seeing the latest videos at gametrailers the damned thing impressed me, i think they will actually be able to pull it through.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Seraphan wrote: You know they're actually making hollywood versions of Akira and Evangelion
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And Ghost In The Shell. :cry:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Ghost in the Shell is apparently going to be 3-D...
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh don't friggin' remind me. :roll:

:wink:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A live action Cowboy Bebop is also apparently in the works. Just announced a week ago.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

GamePlayer wrote:A live action Cowboy Bebop is also apparently in the works. Just announced a week ago.
Fuck me with a cactus, I hate producers who take other properties to use because it's the "safe" thing, fucking teen boys are fucking idiots and should not be driving the movie market!

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Nice almost-garden-path sentence there, Robbo. :wink: Until you hit "are", that last reads like an adverbial participial phrase.)

Hollywood sucks. :roll:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Robspierre wrote:Fuck me with a cactus...

Rob
LOL :):):)

Rob, you rock! I have to remember that one. It's brilliant.
orald

Post by orald »

Oh, I'll remember that too, Rob. don't ever say you don't get your wishes coming true.

And yes, the mediterenian contigent is so extra loony. :|
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

[quote="orald"

And yes, the mediterenian contigent is so extra loony. :|[/quote]

I blame all that heat :wink: It affects the brain we get that here in the southwest too :wink:

Rob