Talos Aquinas

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Talos Aquinas

Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

Greetings.

I am a longtime science fiction and Dune fan but a newcomer to online communities like this. As you might guess from my avatar, I have a minor machine fetish going on.

In real life I'm just an average office worker, laid up for a few weeks with a leg injury. I look forward to passing the time discussing Dune with you all here!

(By the way, I registered over on the Dune Novels board over a week ago and got a confirmation email but I still can't login. Are they always so slow?)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive heard from others that they are lately. Id send the boardadmin a note and let him know. He should get to it right quick then.

But you will probably have more fun over here, soooooo....there's that. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

OK, thanks. I'll try that.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:But you will probably have more fun over here, soooooo....there's that. :wink:
Seconded :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

:roll:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote::roll:
That is of course unless you value what KJA sychphants have to say.

:wink:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Simon wrote::roll:
Well, if he likes having his posts overmoderated, then yea, Im wrong. But Ill make the safe bet and say he does not.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't really mind the set up at Dunenovels, the one time I was edited was with good reason :oops: I was calling Skibum a Nazi or something because he was telling someone new to the page that they shouldn't post something based on some minor characters associated with House Vernius, or at least that's how I took it. Skibum said it was a misunderstanding and that he didn't mean it that way, which I'm willing to believe. I've written stuff before online that was misinterpreted, it happens. In fact that time and the one time I bumped horns with Omph are all the only friction I've encountered on any Dune page, everyone is generally cool and despite those two instances Omph and Skibum haven't held any grudges. Hell, I've seen some of you really get into it and no one really "HATES" anyone ( or at least I would hope not! :P ).

At the end of the day we can all agree, from Brian and Kevin down the line of opinion to Freak and Chig, that Frank Herbert did something really special with this particular body of his work (the Duniverse).

I think this board is a positive answer to the editing problem, it's unoffical, so no harm no foul.
Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

I am beginning to wonder about a registration process that first requires you to sign up and then bug the administrator to let you in.

Looks like I have a lot of history to catch up on. Is it just me, or is their board organized to foster a divide between fans?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

You have no idea.

In theory, the forum was built to allow discussions to be seperated. There is much animosity between those that prefer the old books and those that prefer the new. So the forums try to facilitate these two differing fan groups and their wants.

In practice, crossover discussion lead to that line being blurred. Larger dicussions would take place encompassing both the original Frank Herbert books and the prequels that followed, which inevitably lead to a clash of opinions. Eventually, the powers that be decided that as an official website for the business of new Dune books, promotion of their product carried priority. As such the staff of the Dunenovels message board instituted policies to curb negative discussion of the new books.

I won't disguise my own bias especially since it's likely already apparent; I consider Frank Herbert's books the only real Dune and even then my opinion beyond the first book is not yet set. So I don't like the business-motivated stance that the dunenovels message board has taken. I can understand it and even relate to it from a purely business persepctive, but I ultimately reject it. IMO, the business of the extended Dune franchise shouldn't exist because it's product is so poor. But we live in mediocre times. Horrible medicore franchises of all kinds thrive in modern consumer culture. The near worthlessness of these products don't justify success, but financial returns continued to produce more books/albums/films, all sold off the bones off the much more deserving original works.

That's how I see it.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

That's how most of us see it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the online Duniverse.

8)

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

How about asking Byron to write a Dune Encyclopedia based solely on his father's notes. Just Canon.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Talos Aquinas wrote:I am beginning to wonder about a registration process that first requires you to sign up and then bug the administrator to let you in.

Looks like I have a lot of history to catch up on. Is it just me, or is their board organized to foster a divide between fans?
No, that's a natural result of the quality of the new books.

When we went to the official site to complain, we got the hammer.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

fantomas wrote:How about asking Byron to write a Dune Encyclopedia based solely on his father's notes. Just Canon.
I think Byron has writen enough.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Simon wrote:I've written stuff before online that was misinterpreted, it happens. In fact that time and the one time I bumped horns with Omph are all the only friction I've encountered on any Dune page, everyone is generally cool and despite those two instances Omph and Skibum haven't held any grudges.
Aw, why hold a grudge if I handed you your ass so easily anyway? :P

Goodnight Golden Path!
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Merciless. I like it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

fantomas wrote:I think Byron has writen enough.

Merciless. I like it.
Not the first time I've been called that in that regard. That's why the Ming avatar at DN.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Omph wrote:

Aw, why hold a grudge if I handed you your ass so easily anyway? :P

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:
fantomas wrote:How about asking Byron to write a Dune Encyclopedia based solely on his father's notes. Just Canon.
Are you guys talking about Byron or Brian?

OOPS!

I'm sorry SC, I just screwed up your post...

I wish that edit and quote button weren't so close.

:cry:
Last edited by SandChigger on 11 Feb 2008 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:(Btw, hiya Talos Aquinas! My advice would be not to waste your time on the DN BBS. The allure of the "official forum" is so strong that most of these guys can't escape it, either, but ultimately you're just supporting The Milkers.)
Yea, that's why SC doesnt go there anymore. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I meant Brian. Sorry.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I do that all the time. Next time it happens, even if you have hit submit, just back up to the original post using the back button, cut it, open up a new edit window, and paste the original text in. Not so easy to do all the time, but most times you catch yourself just after you look at the message you just posted.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(It wasn't you that started it, Freak. :) )

OH. MY. GAWUD.

Look at that! Already the Admins are censoring me! It's DN and 'Keen ALL OVER AGAIN!! NOOOOOO!! :shock:

(Gawud, I'm such a drama queen sometimes. :D )

No probs, Omph? Freak? Omph quoted the important, final part. The only loss was me blowing smoke up Byron's ass about him being a promising writer. (Which I do really think, other differences aside.) And I do hope that one day he will try to undo what his uncle and the other hack have done to the Duniverse.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think there's still hope for Byron.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote: OOPS!

I'm sorry SC, I just screwed up your post...

I wish that edit and quote button weren't so close.

:cry:
OH NO!!!

It's the return of the red text! RUN!