Yet another kja "interview"...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Yet another kja "interview"...

Post by Nekhrun »

http://redmoonchronicle.blogspot.com/20 ... erson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty much the same shit. Though there is a picture of Keith that he took on a mountain. Also, who the fuck takes a picture of himself so close to the top without being at the top? He probably didn't think it was worth that extra hundred yards.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
merkin muffley

Re: Yet another kja "interview"...

Post by merkin muffley »

what a phony.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

That cover looks familiar...

Kevin J. Anderson (piece of shit)

Naomi Novik (talented)

Image Image
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

he is currently at work on a sweeping fantasy trilogy, Terra Incognita, about sailing ships, sea monsters, and the crusades.
:doh: It's nothing like the Temeraire series! Naomi Novik's books take place during the Napoleonic era and throw dragons into the mix- not "monsters." I'm such an asshole.
There is the ship-sailing bit, though...
Last edited by JustSomeGuy on 12 Aug 2011 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

That Anderson book came out in June of 2009. The last Temeraire book (Tongues of Serpents) came out last year. Here are the rest:

Image 2006 Image 2006 Image 2006 Image 2007

Just felt like I needed to point that out, in case someone noticed the date issue.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I compare them more to Michael Stackpole's Age of Discovery books:
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Atlas-Age- ... t_ep_dpt_8
From Booklist wrote: Stackpole's high fantasy cum seafaring tale proves all the more effective because its setting resembles the great age of European exploration. At that time, maps were often closely guarded secrets and were sometimes thought to have mysterious, even magical properties, as is really the case in Nalenyr, where the family of the royal cartographer enjoys a quasimonopoly in exploration that inevitably makes them rich but also attracts a formidable array of enemies, who come at them with both spells and steel. And now Keles and Jorim discover that their latest voyage threatens to release hitherto unknown magic that will threaten not only their lives and prospects but also the future of their civilization. Stackpole is, as usual, discursive but also deft and detailed in his worldbuilding. Moreover, the set of premises on which both magical and material aspects of that world are based is sufficiently original to keep fanciers of historical fantasy turning the pages industriously. Roland Green
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved.
VS

Kevin J Anderson's Terra Incognita
Product Description
Terra Incognita - the blank spaces on the map, past the edge of the known world, marked only by the words "here be monsters."

Two nations at war, fighting for dominion over the world, pin their last hopes of ultimate victory on finding a land out of legend.

Each will send its ships to brave the untamed waters, wild storms, sea serpents, and darker dangers unseen by any man. It is a perilous undertaking, but there will always be the impetuous, the brave, and the mad, willing to leave their homes to explore the unknown.

Even unto the edge of the world...
Now its one thing for KJA to have written something only mostly similar to Stackpole until we look at this:

I, Jedi by Michael J Stackpole.

Basically, Stackpole took the major events of KJA's Jedi Academy Trilogy and boiled them down into 1 book. I, Jedi is generally considered to be one of the better Star Wars EU books, all the more ironic since the Jedi Academy books are considered some of the worst. And we're talking about the Star Wars Extended Universe here, where authors are allowed to bring back Boba Fett again and again and again, make the Mandolorians not only physically superior but morally superior to the Jedi and act like 3 million troops is an army large enough to control the entire galaxy. In fact the author guilty of that last mistake is the same one who invented the term Talifan.

So that's two KJA books that have been rewritten because the audience thought they were shit. Try finding a copy of Dean Koontz's Frankenstien, the one "co-written" by KJA. Out of print. Seems the backlash was so bad against the first two books (KJA only worked on the first) Koontz re-wrote the entire trilogy and issued an apology saying he wouldn't collaborate again.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

My favorite thing about I, Jedi was that it seemed to be the beginning of Expanded SW authors trying to undo the damage that kja did.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Ampoliros wrote:the backlash was so bad against the first two books (KJA only worked on the first) Koontz re-wrote the entire trilogy and issued an apology saying he wouldn't collaborate again.
That's the kind of KJA story I like hearing. I know I shouldn't be like that, but I am.
Dean Koontz wrote:Writing the first two books, I discovered yet another character flaw in myself: I can't collaborate. None of the fault lies in those writers who tried to collaborate with me; they were great. But at the keyboard, I'm a fussy, stubborn, obsessive, impossible, single-minded, annoying nutcase who can become homicidal over a disagreement about commas. When not at the keyboard, of course, I'm an absolute sweetie, with a temperament somewhere between that of Spongebob Squarepants and Barney the Dinosaur, and everywhere I go, admiring angels sing a processional before me. After finishing the first two books, I decided not to try again with a collaborator but to plunge into the third novel myself.
What was so wrong with the first two books?
I'll look it up for myself, but I'd like some feedback from you.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

JustSomeGuy wrote:What was so wrong with the first two books?
I'll look it up for myself, but I'd like some feedback from you.
Keith ruined them.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Easy, go to amazon or any other review site. Check the 1 star reviews, start nodding your head at "1-dimensional characters" "makes no sense" "written by a two year old" "What the Fuck", etc.

but hey like I said, KJA only co-wrote the first book.

It's things like this that convince me I'm not crazy, that I'm on the right side of this argument. KJA can't write and he's pretty much the worst choice available to continue the Dune series.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Oh yeah, we're not alone in this at all. The Star Wars fans hate him almost as much as we do, even the Starcraft fans hate him. Any other artist's worlds he touches he shits all over them, it's just how he rolls.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Basically, in I, Jedi Stackpole introduces another character (from the X-wing series) that shares some of the experiences at Luke's Academy. He basically shows how everything Luke does (i.e. KJA has Luke do) is completely stupid. Even Mara Jade shows up and has a similar opinion.

Then in another book set many years after this one, Timothy Zahn introduces the idea that when Luke pretended to fall to the dark side to fight the Reborn Emperor (I think this was a comic, so I haven't read it [and yeah, I know: "Reborn Emperor" :roll: ]) it did affect him.

Once your start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I.e. most of Luke's decisions since before the Jedi Academy trilogy had been tainted. Including say, letting Kyp Durron, slaughterer of billions, go free with a slap on the wrist because his guilt is his punishment. :roll:

(Sorry, used to be a Star Wars EU fanatic.)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Or the fact that Kyp Durron, who is raised in a slave mine with no training at all is a more powerful Jedi than Luke Skywalker.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

That too, although I think KJA tried to get by that one by having the ghost of Exar Kun 'help' him somehow, but without possessing him or doing any of the things you would think necessary...

It goes without mentioning that this also is the trilogy in which he introduced Admiral Daala and the Sun Crusher with its 'quantum armour'. :puke:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Nekhrun wrote:My favorite thing about I, Jedi was that it seemed to be the beginning of Expanded SW authors trying to undo the damage that kja did.
Sometimes, I still hope that Brian Herbert will set his father's legacy to rights.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:My favorite thing about I, Jedi was that it seemed to be the beginning of Expanded SW authors trying to undo the damage that kja did.
Sometimes, I still hope that Brian Herbert will set his father's legacy to rights.
I see you're still in denial.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Its never too late for Brian to reach down and find a pair and apologize for letting KJA touch Dune.

I'm serious. :shock:

No, Really. :snooty:

Statistically speaking it is possible. Almost as likely as me having my fantasy threesome with Gillian Anderson and Emma Watson. :dance: :dance:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:Its never too late for Brian to reach down and find a pair
:laughing-rolling:

Maybe he should follow Kevin's example: ditch his first wife and marry a second with bigger balls than his own.

Bigger everything, in fact... :?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Ampoliros wrote:Its never too late for Brian to reach down and find a pair and apologize for letting KJA touch Dune.

The sleeper has...remained asleep.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Nekhrun wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Its never too late for Brian to reach down and find a pair and apologize for letting KJA touch Dune.

The sleeper has...remained asleep.
:lol: :lol:

oh and iirc isn't this KJA's first marriage and becca's second?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Becca is KJA's second try at wedded bliss.

Remember, he married a "mundane" when he was young? He got a whole blog entry out of that one.

You know, because he's a complete fucking tool.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S BaaaaaAAACK!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Hey Dukester! Good to see you back, man.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:clap:

DUKESTERTIME!!! :dance:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:Becca is KJA's second try at wedded bliss.

Remember, he married a "mundane" when he was young? He got a whole blog entry out of that one.

You know, because he's a complete fucking tool.
Ahhhhhhhh. Suddenly Jacurutu feels like Jacurutu again. Thanks, buddy!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!