Promethius

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Re: Promethius

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Good points, Naive Mind. I think that Ridley Scott's biggest problem lately is that he's lost perspective in how his ideas (which he thinks are brilliant) would be perceived by the audience. His last good movies of the 2000s, in my opinion, are Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven. Both films had their problems, but they conveyed Scott's ideas than his recent work. Robin Hood, for example, does a good job in immersing itself into gritty medieval London, but it pays so little attention to the Robin Hood story itself, and it comes across more as a confusingly delivered convoluted origin story. Prometheus comes across to me as a confusingly delivered attempt at retelling Lovecraft's much more brilliant horror/sci-fi. His characters are kind of dumb, and waste their time with questions about why the aliens created them, why do they want to kill them, why did the aliens have to die before they could talk to them, instead of asking: if the aliens who created us were killed, what the hell killed them?

I've noticed that Christopher Nolan or Scott, while they are both brilliant directors, are caught up in the brilliance of their ideas, but are kind of oblivious to how they come across on screen. Since they've been working with the Hollywood system for years, I think they are out of touch with the reality of how the audience would perceive their work. They're are in dire need of someone from the outside who could guide them to better deliver their story ideas logically and effectively.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Lawliet wrote:
SandChigger wrote:It's another one of those "I really enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the aftertaste is like old socks" flicks.

Nice in an eye-candy way, but some of the stuff just doesn't hang together.

I'll still see any sequels, of course. ;)
I think that´s called "the Avatar effect".
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Eyes High wrote:
Lawliet wrote:
SandChigger wrote:It's another one of those "I really enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the aftertaste is like old socks" flicks.

Nice in an eye-candy way, but some of the stuff just doesn't hang together.

I'll still see any sequels, of course. ;)
I think that´s called "the Avatar effect".
Avatar knew what it was. Whatever anyone thought of it, it was a simple stupid pulp scifi story that followed the formula to the letter. The predicted payoff (who would have guessed he would ride the big beasty, vanquish the baddies and get the girl?) came and all was good in the world.

Prometheus was totally different in that it set out to be a mysterious twisty-turny horror. It asked a lot of questions (which in itself isn't a bad thing) but doesn't do it very well, maybe when we get a chance to watch Prometheus and Prometheus 2 back to back it will make more sense.

Probably it's more like the Star Trek (2009) effect. Best film to watch, worst film to think about.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

DuneFishUK wrote:....

Probably it's more like the Star Trek (2009) effect. Best film to watch, worst film to think about.
:lol: :clap: I like that. I'll have to remember that.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

Ridley scott needs to edit his own movies, the theatrical versions of kingdom of heaven and robin hood were full of plot holes that made the directors cut versions that much better. I hope prometheus gets the same treatment later on, but i really dont want to wait too long.
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

Ok, i watched the movie a couple days ago. It wasn´t too good, i was entertained for most of the movie, but the last 30 minutes were the worst ones. With Ridley Scott i always find myself waiting for a final climax that never happens.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman