BEER THREAD!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Mandy wrote:It'll still get you drunk!
Sorry, Honey, but not me. I absolutely cannot get a buzz off the stuff before I am barfing because my stomach is so damn full.
You can't catch a buzz off 5 or 6 beers?
Off of Bud and its ilk? Not even if I beer bong them. I tell you, that stuff is vitamin water.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Found this at my local grocery store. Bought a six pack and took it home. Piss-poor excuse for a wheat beer. I could see completely through it! Back to my Pyramid Hefeweizen. Ahh! Now THAT'S wheat beer.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Robspierre wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Image

You leave me broken, shattered, I lie
I'm just a crosshair
I'm just a shot, then we can die

Take me out!
:) :lol:

Not a bad beer at all, but its 13.00$ a six pack at my local store so its more of a special treat beer.

Rob
But it's soooo good :) I'm not an every weekend kinda of drinker, I'm more like a once-a-month drinker. So I can afford it :)
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's a Heineken and Wild Turkey night.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Glenmorangie, coca-cola and UFC fights for me.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Glenmorangie, coca-cola and UFC fights for me.
Glenfiddich, ginger ale, and honey wheat pretzels

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I like most micro brewed beverages from BC, lots of great types to choose from, but my old fall back beer is always Black Label Extra Old Stock.
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Robspierre wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Glenmorangie, coca-cola and UFC fights for me.
Glenfiddich, ginger ale, and honey wheat pretzels

Rob
Damn! That sounds great!

ImageImage

Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Tried these recently. The red and the blue are fairly high in alcohol content. You can check out the wiki article on them here which links to their Belgian site.

Flavor: Meh. S'okay. They claim it's silky smooth. Not too sure about the silky part, but it had a nice full flavor with a slight bitters after-taste. My wife didn't like the after-bite. I did, though.

ImageImage

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I have drunk a LOT of Chimay in my time.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

I love a good Chimay. I actually brewed one myself once that came out quite nice. I cultured the yeast from the bottle and did a starter. Then pitched that into the wort. It came out VERY nice; so naturally it was gone in a couple of weeks :cry:

I have a Barley Wine in the fermentor right now (1.13 SG!! Probably will come out to about 11-14% alcohol)

I'm brewing an Altbier this weekend and Bohemian Pilsner. Probably doing an APA the weekend after. Its brewing season around my house!!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Barley wine, huh? Looking to spend the entire summer stewed and drooling?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Tleilax Master B wrote:I love a good Chimay. I actually brewed one myself once that came out quite nice. I cultured the yeast from the bottle and did a starter. Then pitched that into the wort. It came out VERY nice; so naturally it was gone in a couple of weeks :cry:

I have a Barley Wine in the fermentor right now (1.13 SG!! Probably will come out to about 11-14% alcohol)

I'm brewing an Altbier this weekend and Bohemian Pilsner. Probably doing an APA the weekend after. Its brewing season around my house!!
OMG! A homebrewer! yay!

Are you feeling the pinch yet on hops and grain prices?

I'm not doing all-grain batches yet, still doing extracts. But lots of variables none the less. Great hobby.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:Barley wine, huh? Looking to spend the entire summer stewed and drooling?
Can't think of a better way to spend it!! :D
orald

Post by orald »

Spicelon wrote:Great hobby.
Yes, I'm sure all the great druglords also say that. :shock:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Tleilax Master B

Spicelon wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:I love a good Chimay. I actually brewed one myself once that came out quite nice. I cultured the yeast from the bottle and did a starter. Then pitched that into the wort. It came out VERY nice; so naturally it was gone in a couple of weeks :cry:

OMG! A homebrewer! yay!

I'm not doing all-grain batches yet, still doing extracts. But lots of variables none the less. Great hobby.
Cool! A fellow homebrewer! I've been doing it for about 10 years now. Mostly do all grain, but occasionally I will do an extract or partial mash of some recipes I like.

The price of hops is absolutely fucking outrageous. Definately feeling the crunch. The only thing that has saved me is that I filled the freezer up with a whole bunch from freshops.com before the crunch hit. So i'm riding on a surplus right now for most of my beers, but its going to run out sooner or later :( I also grow some of my own, Magnum and Cascades, so I do OK supplementing with those as well.

Got anything brewing right now?
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

orald wrote:
Spicelon wrote:Great hobby.
Yes, I'm sure all the great druglords also say that. :shock:
:p

check yer PM's.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Spicelon wrote:

OMG! A homebrewer! yay!

Cool! A fellow homebrewer! I've been doing it for about 10 years now. Mostly do all grain, but occasionally I will do an extract or partial mash of some recipes I like.

The price of hops is absolutely fucking outrageous. Definately feeling the crunch. The only thing that has saved me is that I filled the freezer up with a whole bunch from freshops.com before the crunch hit. So i'm riding on a surplus right now for most of my beers, but its going to run out sooner or later :( I also grow some of my own, Magnum and Cascades, so I do OK supplementing with those as well.

Getting ready to do a Chinook IPA.

I joined the local brewing guild, so we get pretty good deals on grain and hops. still costs a lot more than it used to. A lot of our members are hardcore, they order grain by the pallet, have there own "brewstands" with sensors and conmtrols and stuff.

I've got a couple of carboys, a keggle, a burner, a couple of tanks, some corny kegs - don't have a mash tun yet. It's really the last thing i need to go all-grain. Funny thing was I knew exactly why 1.13 SG was significant. That's a lot of yeasty food!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Tleilax Master B

Spicelon wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Spicelon wrote:

OMG! A homebrewer! yay!

I joined the local brewing guild, so we get pretty good deals on grain and hops. still costs a lot more than it used to. A lot of our members are hardcore, they order grain by the pallet, have there own "brewstands" with sensors and conmtrols and stuff.

I've got a couple of carboys, a keggle, a burner, a couple of tanks, some corny kegs - don't have a mash tun yet. It's really the last thing i need to go all-grain. Funny thing was I knew exactly why 1.13 SG was significant. That's a lot of yeasty food!
Sweet! I wish I could quaff a pint with 'ya! I've wanted to build or buy one of those brewing sculptures, but I just haven't had the spare cash and the OK from the ol' Tank :wink: Something about kids and bills; I don't know what she's on about........ :)

I have much the same equipment. I use a converted Gott cooler for the mash tun and generally do 5 or 10 gallon batches. I have quite a few carboys and a demijohn. I am buying a 12.2 ga conical fermentor this summer, which I'm pumped about.

I make a pretty fair beer. There's a certain bug around here who can vouch for my Spannunsbogen Steam :wink:
Tleilax Master B

Here's a shot of my second year cascades. This will be the third year, which is typically when you start getting your best harvest:

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Spicelon wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Spicelon wrote:

OMG! A homebrewer! yay!

Sweet! I wish I could quaff a pint with 'ya! I've wanted to build or buy one of those brewing sculptures, but I just haven't had the spare cash and the OK from the ol' Tank :wink: Something about kids and bills; I don't know what she's on about........ :)

I have much the same equipment. I use a converted Gott cooler for the mash tun and generally do 5 or 10 gallon batches. I have quite a few carboys and a demijohn. I am buying a 12.2 ga conical fermentor this summer, which I'm pumped about.

I make a pretty fair beer. There's a certain bug around here who can vouch for my Spannunsbogen Steam :wink:

I really need to sneak around Mesilla on my lunch breaks next semester........

Rob
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Freakzilla wrote:As far as Army jobs go, being in the Cavalry was kind of glamorous.

We were officially allowed to wear a Stetson instead of regulation head gear:

Umm, the rest of her uniform is NOT regulation...

Traditionally, once you earn the right to wear one, it's broken in by drinking beer out of it (see I'm not off-topic!). This stems from the old cavalry troopers letting their horse drink water out of it.
Like the saying goes...

If you ain't cav, you ain't shit.

:wink:

Eye candy! :cylon101:
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I recently got incredibly sick off Busch Light, so the very idea of beer makes my stomach turn over a bit...

But other than that, I'm finding myself actually liking the stuff a bit. I'm a fan of Heineken, PBR, and Coors Light. Corona is nice on occasion, especially at the beach. I also liked Rolling Rock when I tried it.

I know, I know, I'm nowhere near as hardcore as you veterans, and I still prefer a good whiskey drink to beer any day. But maybe I'll come around to your side eventually. =P

EDIT: It's too bad we don't have a smoking thread to go along with this drinking thread...
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I prefer scotch to beer anyday.

Goodnight Golden Path!