BEER THREAD!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: BEER THREAD!

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm going home tomorrow, to have dinner (she has a roast she doesn't want to waste) and to pick up the kids for the weekend.

I sent her a FB message saying she can file for divorce if she wan't to and I'll sue for custody, if she wants to work it out we can start by exchanging our expatations of each other.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Spicelon wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I agree they're generally two different animals, "beer" and "crazy shit the Belgians made" :D - I love both, but they're different categories. I'm trying to find more hop-bomb dark beers, not a common style but they're out there.

One big beer style that's pretty much guaranteed to be good is Baltic Porters. Anything that says "Imperial" on it is generally far too sweet for me (even if the bitterness is pushing 100 IBUs), and Barleywine is the same deal, too sweet.

That's part of what I like with braggots (basically a honey beer that's got so much honey it gets to be called half mead for those unfamiliar with the term) and Belgian "big" beers - they don't get all their fermentables from grain, so they end up a lot dryer than their all-grain counterparts.
I actually like good, clean beers. Depending on the yeast used (which is ALWAYS an issue with Belgian beers for me), I like a good, clean Belgian Golden Strong beer. The straight up sugar you have to add to get to the desired final gravity really cleans it out. I just can't be arsed with high maintenance with fermentation that many Belgian beers require. Like pitch at 68, gradually ramp up to 80, then crash it in a cooler, etc. Fuck that. Give me a pale ale, some 1056 Wyeast and a 6.5 gallon carboy and I'm good to go. :)
HA! Sucks for you! Although I guess it doesn't suck when the product matures, eh?

Yeah, Belgian beers are a love it/hate kind of thing. A lot of people in our brew guild are big belgian fans, then again a lot of 'em are die-hard english beer hop bomb advocates. That's the great thing about beer and brewing, PLENTY of choices.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm going home tomorrow, to have dinner (she has a roast she doesn't want to waste) and to pick up the kids for the weekend.

I sent her a FB message saying she can file for divorce if she wan't to and I'll sue for custody, if she wants to work it out we can start by exchanging our expatations of each other.
I think that's a good step, Freak.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Back on topic...

This afternoon I'm going to go have a couple beers with an old friend at The Tilted Kilt. I've never been, that should cheer me up some.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Omphalos wrote:As someone who has been through a divorce and who has handled divorces for lots of other people I can tell you without a doubt that its the things that you do that bother you the most later, not the things that an angry or lazy spouse does to you.
Not that my two cents is required, but that sounds like an extremely perceptive observation.

I hope things change for you, Freak, and that you and your wife can start resolving this one way or the other.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Sorry to here of your woes, Freak. I feel bad for actually posting on topic and not seeing your more recent posts. I've been through one divorce and everything everybody said here is good. I know it doesn't help now, but things do get better. Chin up.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Spicelon wrote:Sorry to here of your woes, Freak. I feel bad for actually posting on topic and not seeing your more recent posts. I've been through one divorce and everything everybody said here is good. I know it doesn't help now, but things do get better. Chin up.
That's OK, I was the one off-topic.

Hopefully it won't come to that.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:Back on topic...

This afternoon I'm going to go have a couple beers with an old friend at The Tilted Kilt. I've never been, that should cheer me up some.
Scotch tasting!
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:

Scotch tasting!
Always fun. Think I might have a "taste" myself later on this evening when I get home.

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I had one last night. I think I must not have a real appreciation for whisky, I seem to like odd choices and prefer them at as far below zero as they can go without freezing...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Scotch tasting!
Always fun. Think I might have a "taste" myself later on this evening when I get home.
It was Macallan, BTW. I've appearantly never had good scotch before. :shock:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Scotch tasting!
I have a hunch I haven't either!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Scotch tasting!
The good stuff results in a completely different drunk; one worth pursuing.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Scotch tasting!
The good stuff results in a completely different drunk; one worth pursuing.
Indeed, a quality drunk is a journey of discovery and enjoyment.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

As in "Where the fuck am I?!" and "Hmmm, this mud and vomit doesn't feel half bad...Zzzzzzzz..."? ;)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Shiner's 102 Double Wheat in celebration of 102 years. Damn smooth and full of yummy goodness in a bottle.

Rob
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

I must get beer.
Beer is the life-filler.
Beer stops the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will drink my beer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the beer has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I was just having a beer. Nothing special- just a 40 oz. Budweiser I pour into a glass now and then. I must have left it in the freezer a little too long. The last time I pulled it out it looked like a liquid, but shortly after having it out it all turned to ice mush.

¿Can anyone explain to me why/how this happens?
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

This was on mythbusters actually - what happens is that if you get the liquid to very very close to it's feezing temp (I think only works with liquids that have alcohol in them but I could be wrong) then subject them to movement it will cause rapid freezing. They got beer in bottles really cold, then pulled them out and they were totally liquid, gave them a quick smack on the top (still closed) and wham, it crystalized and froze within a second or two. Neat physics.

Note: if done with better beer the resulting slush will melt into better beer, then you can drink better beer!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I really want to know how that works...

Edit: Apparently it's due to the fact that the liquid has been cooled to its freezing point without a seed around which ice crystals can form. When you tap it, some of the CO2 bubbles through it, and these can act as crystallization seeds. Very cool (no pun intended).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Thank you for responding. Not a big deal, obviously, but I just had to know and figured one of you would have the answer.
I bring nothing to the table.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

This chick is much hotter in person:

My head hurts. :(
~Pink Snowman
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

The first thing I was looking at in this picture was to see what they have on tap.. I must be disturbed or something..