Bruce Herbert: Probable DUNE Heir?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sev

Re: Bruce Herbert: Probable DUNE Heir?

Post by Sev »

I thought everything he wrote was coloured with his crayons...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I sure wish someone would scan DoD to PDF. :cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I sure wish someone would scan DoD to PDF. :cry:
Just bought the ebook for $9.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I sure wish someone would scan DoD to PDF. :cry:
Just bought the ebook for $9.
That's really great! :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

PM me your address; I'll send you the copy I bought from Goodwill on amazon ($12, just to be able
to post in their basement) for Father's Day ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I would think Brian just didn't understand being gay isn't a choice (unless say Bruce was bizexual, and made a choice to stay away from women to piss off his father... hmm, sounds soooo likely don't it? :roll: ) and just wanted to blame every "problem" in the family on his dad. Hell, for all we know FH was responsible for all the other things Brian didn't like in his life, but Bruce being gay ain't one of em.

The number of people who have managed to pretend to be gay, do gay rights activism, and die of AIDS still claiming to be gay in the whole world (just to piss off a parent no less!) can probably be counted on no hands. :wink:

Brian's either an idiot or a closet case who's always pretended to be straight to make daddy proud (I've got a long standing theory that the only people who could actually believe that being gay is a choice must themselves either be bisexual, or a straight or gay person who's been really severely brainwashed to the point where they never actually think it through).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I blame MY parents for everything. :snooty:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Me, too.

I mean, I blame your parents. Not mine. :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
The number of people who have managed to pretend to be gay, do gay rights activism, and die of AIDS still claiming to be gay in the whole world (just to piss off a parent no less!) can probably be counted on no hands. :wink:
Freddy Mercury - he didn't do it to piss off his folks, he just sorta fell into the role ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote:
Freddy Mercury - he didn't do it to piss off his folks, he just sorta fell into the role ....
I dunno, dude seemed gay-gay to me... :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:
Freddy Mercury was really straight? Not quite sure how he fooled everybody but you.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos wrote:
SandRider wrote:
Freddy Mercury was really straight? Not quite sure how he fooled everybody but you.
Stop picking on tehRider, he's thinking of Elton John.
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

I wish I knew what Bruce Herbert's opinions of the Dune Chronicles were. Is it possible that he liked his father's books more than his father's personality? (We need to get a Orthodox Herbertarian historian who understands many of the ins and outs of the Herbert family. Maybe he can track the missing notes and release them in a Pentagon Papers-like fashion :D )

I've knew more about Bruce, maybe I could speculate as to what titles he would use for his version of the Dune prequels. I'd like to think that if he inherited the Dune legacy, his approach would be more complex and ambiguous (considering the number of areas he excelled at).

However, speculation is pretty dangerous and inadvisable without more information, so I might as well end my input here. :oops:
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
A Thing of Eternity

I think its a safe bet to say he would have done a better job, simply by virtue of his not being the same person as KJA. :wink: You could pretty much pick authors at random and it would take lifetimes before you'd land on someone who would have done a worse job.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:(We need to get a Orthodox Herbertarian historian who understands many of the ins and outs of the Herbert family. Maybe he can track the missing notes and release them in a Pentagon Papers-like fashion :D )
The notes aren't "missing", so there's no need to track them: Brian Herbert has them. (Unless he's let KJA take them. :roll: )
I've knew more about Bruce, maybe I could speculate as to what titles he would use for his version of the Dune prequels.
Is there any indication that Bruce had literary aspirations? That he also wanted to be a writer? I've never seen anything suggesting this.
I'd like to think that if he inherited the Dune legacy, his approach would be more complex and ambiguous (considering the number of areas he excelled at).
Again, there's no indication that he would have had "approach". Had he been the primary heir, he may have let other writers have a shot at it, or he may have tried to bury his father's works entirely. There's simply no way of knowing what he would have done. To wit:
...speculation is pretty dangerous and inadvisable without more information
;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:(We need to get a Orthodox Herbertarian historian who understands many of the ins and outs of the Herbert family. Maybe he can track the missing notes and release them in a Pentagon Papers-like fashion :D )
The notes aren't "missing", so there's no need to track them: Brian Herbert has them. (Unless he's let KJA take them. :roll: )
What possible use would KJA have for FH's notes? :roll:
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

that's the funniest thing you've posted all year ...
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:What possible use would KJA have for FH's notes? :roll:
:lol:

But seriously, do you all understand him so little?

Just having a copy of Frank Herbert's notes (didn't Byron or someone mention something like that once?), when so many REAL fans want to see them but can't... don't you realize what a chubby-maker that is for him?! :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:What possible use would KJA have for FH's notes? :roll:
:lol:

But seriously, do you all understand him so little?

Just having a copy of Frank Herbert's notes (didn't Byron or someone mention something like that once?), when so many REAL fans want to see them but can't... don't you realize what a chubby-maker that is for him?! :shock:
So, if we all just pretend not to care anymore, we can wait a few weeks then pick up the notes from Kevin's trash.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, I figure the prick will wipe with them and flush. :(

(I mean, he's figuratively wiping his ass all over the books already. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

that's the funniest thing you've posted all year ...
Even a blind dog finds a bone now and then. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
mwisconsin

Post by mwisconsin »

I thought I'd chime in here, as I found this conversation after a quick Google search.

The television station that's mentioned in Bruce's obit was KOCR-TV, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a Fox affiliate at the time. It was my father-in-law's station. I worked with Bruce the whole time he was there.

I'm a great big Dune fan, and when, after working with him for many months, he mentioned that he was the estranged son of Frank Herbert, I didn't believe him. This was pre-Internet, and I didn't have the resources or the motivation to try and confirm his claim. I really regret not trusting him on this. There are very few points in my life where I could say I was any meaningful degree away from authors who have held such an impact on me.

I can reliably say that even though he was a big fan of futurism and tech, he had no interest whatsoever of topics relating to science fiction.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I found this conversation after a quick Google search.
what were you searching for (specifically) & why ?
ImageImage

mwisconsin

Post by mwisconsin »

SandRider wrote:what were you searching for (specifically) & why ?
I was reading up on Frank Herbert's Wiki entry, noticed the reference to Bruce's name, and remembered the guy I worked with way back when. So, I Googled for his name, and this was one of the first hits.