Hi!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Visigoth

Hi!

Post by Visigoth »

A long, long, long time ago, I read Dune and Children of Dune. I actually forgot it until I heard some news about Dune. Since then, I had the urge to read Dune. I found this forum and I have to say what a great site this is. I've been reading Dune dicussions here and it is just amazing how deep you guys are in to Dune.

Thanks!
ImageImageImage
Ampoliros

Re: Hi!

Post by Ampoliros »

Welcome Welcome!

True, some of our discussions are more...lively...than others, but hey, if you are looking for people who know their DUNE, you came to the right place.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! Ma-ka hiya ma-na! Welcome, doubly welcome! Your water is our water! :)
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

SandChigger wrote:Achlan wasachlan! Ma-ka hiya ma-na! Welcome, doubly welcome! Your water is our water! :)
Yes, it is the Sietch's water now. My water shall mingle with your water.

BTW...isn't this tribe supposed to be the bad guys in Dune?
The Cast Out?
ImageImageImage
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Visigoth wrote: BTW...isn't this tribe supposed to be the bad guys in Dune?
The Cast Out?

Yes.
Exactly.
:twisted:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Visigoth wrote:BTW...isn't this tribe supposed to be the bad guys in Dune?
The Cast Out?
Keep digging in the older threads.

We should have a topic about that somewhere and maybe sticky it for new members.

Or, you could spent 5 min. on the official forum and you'd know why none of us are welcome there.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I started this forum with the very generous help of Omphalos and Ragabash after I and others were banned from the official dunenovels forum (and arrakeen).

So, I thought the name was obvious. :think:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I started this forum with the very generous help of Omphalos and Ragabash after I and others were banned from the official dunenovels forum (and arrakeen).

Would anyone not familiar with that drama, or those who've just read the first book know anything about that though?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I started this forum with the very generous help of Omphalos and Ragabash after I and others were banned from the official dunenovels forum (and arrakeen).

Would anyone not familiar with that drama, or those who've just read the first book know anything about that though?
Nope. But he said he'd read Dune and CoD.
Visigoth wrote:A long, long, long time ago, I read Dune and Children of Dune.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Jacurutu is mentioned only in Children (71 times) and God Emperor (1 time).
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
Visigoth wrote:BTW...isn't this tribe supposed to be the bad guys in Dune?
The Cast Out?
Keep digging in the older threads.

We should have a topic about that somewhere and maybe sticky it for new members.

Or, you could spent 5 min. on the official forum and you'd know why none of us are welcome there.
I think there is a topic around here where I explained the "A" in T(A)U to Thing. That topic has it about all the forums on our wanderings to Jacurutu I think.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

My point is, that someone who wanders in here (regardless of their knowledge of Jacurutu in the books) would have no idea why we'd want to associate with the term or referring to ourselves as "cast out" and it may be worth putting that explanation somewhere that it can easily be found by newcomers.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Who We Are and What We Stand For

Freakzilla wrote:That's how I wrote the novel, wanting you to participate with the best of your own imagination. I did not aim for the lowest common denominator and 'write down" to anyone. You and I have a compact and my responsibility is to entertain you as richly as possible, always giving you as much extra as I can. I assume you are intelligent and will enlist your own imagination. You'll see that when you read the Dune excerpt and the other stories in this collection.
~Frank Herbert, Intro to Eye

Looking back on it, I realize I did the right thing instinctively. You don't
write for success. That takes part of your attention away from the writing. If
you're really doing it, that's all you're doing: writing.
There's an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a
bookstore and sets down hard earned money (energy) for your book, you owe that
person some entertainment and as much more as you can give.
That was really my intention all along.

~Frank Herbert, Intro to Heretics of Dune

Who We Are

First, a little about me. I first read Dune at age thirteen in 1984, just before the David Lynch movie hit the big screen, and was immediately hooked. I caught up with the series soon afterwards and read Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune as they were published. Then I read everything else FH wrote that I could find. I even read the entire Dune Encyclopedia complied by Dr. Willis McNelly. I was devastated when I learned of my new favorite author's death. Since then I've read the series roughly once a year,give or take. Years later came the internet and discussion forums. I lurked at Dreamers of Dune for about a year, afraid to expose my ignorance, but after building up the courage to chance participating in the discussion I found that I was gaining credibility in knowledge of the Dune series and became an active member. DoD eventually died and since then I've been a fixture in whatever Dune forum(s) was the most active, sometimes in multiple forums. Sometimes as a member, sometimes as moderator or administrator. Eventually in 1999 I was thrilled to read news that Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson were planning to continue the series. I eagerly bought and read the new Dune books and was sorely disappointed to say the least. I could have tolerated the abysmal writing if the authors had bothered to pretend they understood Frank Herbert's books and remained consistent with his themes and details. I wouldn't be surprised if I found out the new authors haven't even read the originals. When the Herbert estate opened a Dune Novels bulletin board in 2006, I immediately joined and voiced my disdain, for which I was immediately banned. I emailed the administrator, Frank Herbert's grandson Byron Merritt, and upon apologizing for personally insulting the authors and promising to refrain from doing it again was allowed to rejoin the forum. There I proceeded to make 5,691 posts before eventually being banned again and am still, years after being banned, the leading poster there. I wasn't the only one banned for voicing their negative opinions of the new books, not by far. Most of the knowledgeable people I'd come to know in the Dune fan community felt the same way I did and the Dunenovels standard operating procedure for dealing with negative comments is to ban the member. Eventually this lead to only the most mindless discussion there and I saw an opportunity for a new Dune fan forum where members would not be censored. So I started Jacurutu, named after the Cast Out in Children of Dune. This leads to...

What We Stand For

First of all, this is not an anti-KJA/BH forum. This is a FH's Dune fan forum. However, current events in the world of Dune have drawn fire towards the new authors for what many fans consider raping and milking FH's legacy for profit, and that is the topic du jour. If I had my way, we'd only be discussing FH's works but one of the ideas this forum was founded on was to let the discussion take it's own course without censorship. So that is the way it goes. Contrary to what some might say, we are not against the continuation of the Dune series in any medium. We are against BADLY continuing Dune in any medium. The Herberts have hired a notorious hack to bring them a steady paycheck with a total lack of respect for the deep and serious ideas and themes present in FH's legacy and have turned it into a McDune franchise. It's a shame that none of the many qualified, GOOD authors have not had a chance to do FH's legacy justice. At least, if they aren't going to give a real author a shot, they should stop defiling Dune with the pulp space opera crap they've been churning out.

Well, that's the gist of it.

I exist only to serve,

Freakzilla
:confusion-shrug:
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

That'll do. I guess I should look around here a little more.

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome! Some of us really are the Cast Out, banned from the official website, but many simply come here first and never post on the official site (nobody really posts there much).
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

And some of were banned fro. DN simply because of our connection with Jacarutu.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

I forgot about you being banned without ANY reason whatsoever, just because you posted here... unreal.

They are really messed up people.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Welcome! Some of us really are the Cast Out, banned from the official website, but many simply come here first and never post on the official site (nobody really posts there much).
Eyes High wrote:And some of were banned fro. DN simply because of our connection with Jacarutu.

some of us were pre-banned from the Official Corporate Dune Forum, because they registered on both sites on the same day,
and Merritt takes two or three weeks to get around to activating a user account, by which time they had already made 100 or
so posts along the lines of "KEVIN J. ANDERSON is an asshat picklefucker" and "Brian Herbert must be drinking again" and
"Say, who's the jack-off that runs the 'official' site?" here in the sietch, and their accounts were never activated, even
tho the username is still in the "memberlist" ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I forgot about you being banned without ANY reason whatsoever, just because you posted here... unreal.

She must've sent some nasty PM's or something. I can still post over there.

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Nekhrun wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I forgot about you being banned without ANY reason whatsoever, just because you posted here... unreal.

She must've sent some nasty PM's or something. I can still post over there.
Now Nek. Would I really do that? :angelic-cyan: You know me better....I think.... :think: :shifty: :whistle:
Although I will admit the last email to whatever his name is, was not too nice when I asked him to delete my name from the membership list if he wasn't going to reactivate it. I think I might have kinda question his manhood and whether or not there was a discoloration up his spine.
SandRider wrote:...
some of us were pre-banned from the Official Corporate Dune Forum, ... and their accounts were never activated, even tho the username is still in the "memberlist" ....

My husband was done like that. After I was Freak-banned he tried to register and his name is on the list but it was never activated yet the last time he checked his username was still listed.
A Thing of Eternity

For those wondering what freak-banned means, it's named after own on Freakzilla. Instead of banning him (which would show that he was banned in every post he'd ever made, and considering that more than 1/2 the bloody posts at that site were at this point by banned people, I guess they didn't want to look any worse) what they did was just change his password so that he could never log in again.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

SandRider wrote:
Visigoth wrote: BTW...isn't this tribe supposed to be the bad guys in Dune?
The Cast Out?

Yes.
Exactly.
:twisted:
Bad boys, bad boys, and girls of course, what you gonna do when they come for you...

I've read Who we are. and What we stand for.

Pre-banned is like :Adolf: and not Kosher.
Well then, I have to thank Omphalos and Ragabash and Freakzilla for this site. Also, the rest of the members, thanks for the juicy discussions and the accuracy of the information :clap: . It looks you keep each other honest. I'm really sorry that it has to be either here and not necessarily there. I guess the password issue is why I see some of the same member names here and there also.
So...you name yourselves after the bad guys, but you really are good guys defending FH's legacy. Ironic isn't it, I think. The name I mean. If I had a PDF copy of Dune, I would look for Jacurutu to find if they contributed a little bit towards the Golden Path, just like this Sietch is contributing towards the survival of the purity of FH's bodily fluids :crazy: No, I slipped. the purity of Frank's works! No one has the right to steal someone elses thoughts, change them, and say they are the original thoughts. :naughty:
ImageImageImage
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

As you expand your knowledge of Dune I think you will see that Jacurutu does contribute. Also, you can find mmore information in the reader's discussion section. Freak and the others have done very well in the breakdown of each chapter in each book.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Visigoth wrote:[So...you name yourselves after the bad guys, but you really are good guys defending FH's legacy. Ironic isn't it, I think. The name I mean. If I had a PDF copy of Dune, I would look for Jacurutu to find if they contributed a little bit towards the Golden Path, just like this Sietch is contributing towards the survival of the purity of FH's bodily fluids :crazy: No, I slipped. the purity of Frank's works! No one has the right to steal someone elses thoughts, change them, and say they are the original thoughts. :naughty:
Jacurutu is where Leto II went to escape assassination and where Gurney and Namri administered the spice overdose to him.. So you could say it was where the GP started.

(That was in Children of Dune, BTW)
~Pink Snowman