HBO's Game of Thrones (Partial SPOILERS)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones (Partial SPOILERS)

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah when I first saw him I didn't like Sam, but he quickly grew into the role. Another perfectly cast player.

Yeah we get to see ghost, but for like 2 seconds. I bet half the audience who never read the books were like WTF wolf? before they remembered that Jon had one too. I'm really hoping with season 2 they get a special effects budget that includes wolves.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Well, that's really the only important thing Ghost has done so far too, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him. I read somewhere that they worked with the dogs a lot while filming, so we should see more. I'm infinitely glad they went with real dogs rather than CGI like they could have, man do I hate CGI dogs!

I felt the same way about Sam at first, didn't think he looked right, but within 2 scenes he had me won over completely.
A Thing of Eternity

I'm also a little concerned about further seasons. This show got a huge budget, and insane hype - I'm a little worried that it might not be interesting enough in the first season for the people who didn't read the books, not action packed enough. Worried that it's not going to do well enough...

Just being paranoid though.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I'm also a little concerned about further seasons. This show got a huge budget, and insane hype - I'm a little worried that it might not be interesting enough in the first season for the people who didn't read the books, not action packed enough. Worried that it's not going to do well enough...

Just being paranoid though.
GOOD GOD MAN, GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF!!

D O N O T J I N X I T ! ! ! ! !

;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Bah, I don't believe in jinxing, so I'll jinx away!

I think it'll be fine. Hopefully the drama aspect of it will keep people watching, and the action should start ramping up a bit soon.

I really like Arya, she was pretty much tied with Tyrion for my favourite character in the books (Jon's up there too) and the actor playing her is excellent.
A Thing of Eternity

Also, I loved the ending of that last episode, all those swords out in the blink of an eye and then cut to black, excellent!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I think when people start to realize this is more of a fantasy drama rather than an action fantasy there will be a small dip in ratings, but the show has been holding its own. I think the fact that they don't make combat glorious and instead show it as gorey and unfortunate tells people that while you might think you want an action scene, when you get one someone who you like ain't comin' back.

SPOILER: Unless it's Beric, of course.
A Thing of Eternity

:lol: True on both accounts :wink: , once people start understanding that NOBODY is safe they'll be sitting on the edge of their seats for the whole rest of the show (unfortunately we learn most of that lesson in the second book onwards, but we still get a pretty good taste in this season... sorry if that counts as a spoiler, I don't think so though, anyone watching just HAS to know that people are going to die in this story!).
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah I think I'm going to have to find me a woman much like Arya Stark.

And remember not to piss her off.
A Thing of Eternity

Probably a few years old though eh? :wink:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

well, Obviously. I was only ever attracted to 10 year old girls for a couple of years.
A Thing of Eternity

Ampoliros wrote:well, Obviously. I was only ever attracted to 10 year old girls for a couple of years.
:lol: Sorry, I had to say it!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:well, Obviously. I was only ever attracted to 10 year old girls for a couple of years.
Don't worry, Amp. The college were rough for us all, for one reason or another.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Omphalos wrote:
Don't worry, Amp. The college were rough for us all, for one reason or another.
thank god I know a good lawyer!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Whoops! College years

Never rely on the legal skills of one who has failed to master his own mother tongue.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Just watched this week's episode, now it's really turning into a show! The Eyrie wasn't what I wanted, I may have read the books wrong but I thought it was high on a cliff face of a mountain, not on a high pillar of rock like that. Don't get me wrong, it looked amazing, and totally un-conquerable, but it wasn't what I expected.

Renly and the Knight of Flowers lovers... it totally works (especially considering later plots), but have I just totally forgotten that? Or is that something they added?

I like that they stopped switching all over the place from setting to setting so much, it lets the show breath a little more and have better pacing. I missed Dany and Jon of course, but just like in the books, you gotta wait!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

IIRC the Renly and Loras pairing is suggested in the book but never embellished.

This was a good episode, and it is getting better from a pacing standpoint. Liked getting to see more of the tournament.
A Thing of Eternity

Ah, so that was a little creative liscence on the screen writers behalf then.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The only mention of it that I remember was Jamie mocking Loras about Renly's death that was very suggestive that they were lovers.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I believe the Renly/Loras pairing is mentioned offhandedly or indirectly in later books, but I don't think it was really mentioned in GoT. I liked how it foreshadowed the War of Five Kings.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah iirc its from Storm of Swords where Jamie is mocking Loras about Renly because he SPOILER! which just shows how Jamie Jamie is since he just SPOILER! after having SPOILER!
A Thing of Eternity

Am I right about the Eyrie being wrong? I was really sure it was just on a cliff face on one side of the valley.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

From what I visualized I think it was supposed to be overlooking a cliff high in the mountains, not just a pillar of rock. With a pillar, there is no skybridge either, so we end up missing another of Robert's bastards, Mya Stone.

Also, iirc Lysa was supposed to be more hefty, not wispy. I always imagined "Sweetrobin" as being a little more paunchy too. Certainly more whiny, although I was surprised they showed him "nursing".
A Thing of Eternity

I liked the casting for them, though yeah, she was definitely supposed to be heavier. The kid was supposed to be pretty sickly I thought though. I think they look about as f-n insane as they are, which works because they're not the "subtle" kind of insane characters in those books, they're the just straight up batshit kind.
A Thing of Eternity

Good episode last night, I'll probably watch it again tonight. If you're reading this and haven't watched it yet (and are planning too) then you're dumb, but I'll avoid spoilers. I'll just say the ending is something we've all been wanting to happen for a while now!

I like Bronn, not exactly how I pictured him but it works. The trial by combat was good, had an ending that was an unnecessary addition in my opinion, but didn't ruin it or anything.