Howdey

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

zacher2005

Howdey

Post by zacher2005 »

First read the Dune series in 92 when in junior high after a teacher recomended them. Re-read them many times as a kid.
I hated the Lynch Dune movie.
Read the prequal House series when it came out, thought they weren't that great but interesting story for someone who craved new Dune stories.
Loved the Sci-fi Dune and Children of Dune minis, sad they didn't do God Emperor.
When I was in Iraq I started reading the Butlerian Jyhad book but never finished.
Never read the last two Dune books.
Started re-reading the series now from start to finish, and I'm almost done with The Machien Crusade.
Seems a lot of you guys hate the books, which I understand why, but I just love having new material to read even though its not remotely as deep as the originals. Anyways this site looks deep, don't even know where to start, lol.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Re: Howdey

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Hey dude, welcome to the forums!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Welcome Welcome!

Honesty is the best policy. If you got enjoyment out of the new books then more power to you. If you can understand and appreciate why we deconstruct them so forcefully, then you'll get along fine here. That being said there is plenty of discussion here for both series, so feel free to join or ignore any discussion, although the nudune threads do tend to be more like live-fire exercises...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

No worries, I understand 100% why a lot of people dislike them. In a weird way I read them because I am a Dune fan, but I don't really consider them "Dune" books. Honestly though I haven't read the Hereos series yet or the final two books.

To me the originals are very deep, and my favorite books ever that I recomend to people, but I haven't read them in years. The newer ones seems more like, I dunno, and sci fi television show.

I collect harcover books, and I had a goal to re-read all of Stephen King's, Anne Rice, and Cliver Barker's books, so anything different is refreshing now, lol.

What's the general opinion of the Sci Fi mini series on here?
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I don't understand why you would read that shit when you've still got two of Frank's books left. Anyway, welcome.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

I meant the Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

zacher2005 wrote:I meant the Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.
Got it. You'd do well to stay away from those. They can really angry up the blood.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! Welcome, doubly welcome! :)

I liked the Lynch movie for pretty much the same reason you like the McDunes: it was DUNE on the big screen. I'll still watch it if it's on, just for shits-n-giggles.

I like the Children mini much better than the Dune one, even though my satellite channels over here seem capable only of reshowing the first. (Was on again recently... it's like six or seven years now they've been showing it. :roll: )

Got any military scifi favorites you can recommend? :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

welcome twice welcome

same here, if you crave more Dune read the real ones you haven't read yet.

Mcdune is only for the interest of research in stupid. I am a fast reader and because of that the more complex the book the more readings I require to catch the things I missed.

So to compare, every time I read any of Frank's Dune I find something new.
I read some mcdune, the house series and whatever the poor mockery of the arc of the story up to sadworms(which was truly horrendous, but my pet hate is the shytemeks really. Now that was just utter crap), then I found the Cast Out and I felt better knowing I was not alone.

So indeed the best thing you can do is erase your memories of the hack's drivel and just concentrate on what's of real value.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

SandChigger wrote:Achlan wasachlan! Welcome, doubly welcome! :)

I liked the Lynch movie for pretty much the same reason you like the McDunes: it was DUNE on the big screen. I'll still watch it if it's on, just for shits-n-giggles.

I like the Children mini much better than the Dune one, even though my satellite channels over here seem capable only of reshowing the first. (Was on again recently... it's like six or seven years now they've been showing it. :roll: )

Got any military scifi favorites you can recommend? :)

Honestly I am not a big Sci Fi fan, mainly a Horror fan, Dune was the only Sci Fi series I like but to me it is much more than Sci - Fi (The originals not the new ones), so I can't really recomend military sci fi, but I can recomend some great horror series.

I recently rewatched both minis when I was sick and I agree COD was the better of the two. Any word why they never did GEOD?

The Lynch one hurt me to watch because I had to beg my dad to rent it after I first read Dune.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Because I think that like Avatar, a filmed version of GEOD would make people want to kill themselves.

But not for the same reasons.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I've exposed myself to many of the McDune books because I really wanted more, but in every case, I was only able to get a little bit into the book before I had to stop because the writing was so hokey, the characters were unrecognizable apart from some of them having the same names, and most of the shit is just boring. Frank Herbert's Dune is full of so many great ideas, and this is just some Star Wars shit. And then Paul of Dune actually offended me, it was such a betrayal of everything that was good about original Dune.

I didn't have anywhere to focus my contempt for the guys who wrote this new, hackneyed bullshit until I found this website about a year ago. I knew that it had to be the case that there were a lot of people that hated the new shit, because it's fucking terrible, and I was pleased to discover that there was actually a movement dedicated to protesting this crap.

Welcome. The shit is bad.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Hello :)

I was also just happy to have more Dune to read at first. Just a little bit sad that it was so obviously not in line with the original themes and motifs. But I was forgiving up until the Dune 7s where I wanted to throw the books across the room. (And that was during the preface.)

For me they fail on various levels:

Style. Forgivable because there probably aren't many people in the world who could emulate Frank. Though they claim to be able to but... don't want to? :?

General writing quality. Eh... they really should have gotten a better qualified writer on the job. Maybe someone who actually writes?

Arrogance and carelessness with their treatment of Frank Herbert's masterpiece. Unforgivable. It deserves a lot more respect.

Offensive treatment of Frank's fans. Absolutely unforgivable.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

I have been a DUNE fan since 1983 and have reread them numerous times. Like many others I was excited when a "new" Dune book was published. Throughout the House series I thought it would become better over time ... but it didn't. The writing, story-arcs, plot line etcetera became worse every book. I managed to get through the legends series, but only by sheer force of the mind. The two hack writers published some of the chapters of Dune 7 on their website. When I read that I became physically ill and had to promise myself to never ever read one of these atrocities any more. I am afraid they will cause permanent brain damage.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:

The new books are good (maybe?) as just a mindless entertainment set in the Dune universe. REAL Dune is great for stimulating the mind. They can probably be enjoyed separately, but I don't think anyone can seriously think them of equal quality or worth.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Someone content to enjoy Nu-Dune on it's own merits is something we encounter from time to time.

Me, I can't stand the needless repetition of trivia, tedious predictable plotting and idiot characters.... And that's all before it tramples over FH's garden of delight.

But (despite how it looks sometimes) this a FH fan site - not a KJA hate site. Welcome aboard :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

Tleszer wrote:Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:

The new books are good (maybe?) as just a mindless entertainment set in the Dune universe. REAL Dune is great for stimulating the mind. They can probably be enjoyed separately, but I don't think anyone can seriously think them of equal quality or worth.

Pretty much summed up my opinion right here.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome Zach, I think you'll do fine here. Take care and hope to here more from you.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

Baraka Bryan wrote:welcome!

may I suggest that once you've read thru prequels and the original series (dont bother with the inter-quels) read sadworms and grunters. at that point, you'll understand why we hate all of their books so much. the house books are bad but bearable if only for the mild entertainment value. the jihad books are shit, but since they're so far removed from Dune, you probably get entertainment and can mentally separate them. once you read those last 2, you'll see how they've butt-fucked Frank's corpse and will spew the same vitriol for them that we do here from time to time :P

What has been their general responce to critgues of the last two books?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"You're just a hater."

Or their usual oral flatulence, when anything at all. ;)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

"You're just one of these people who hates writers that are too prolific." :roll:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Gosh darn it to heck! He's Frank's son!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

"But they made Messiah finally make some sense...

Gosh darn it to heck!"

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!