Smellhole Notes.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Smellhole Notes.

Post by Eyes High »

Ampoliros wrote:The Elba/St Helena/Josephine things are all references to Napoleon Bonaparte.
Well I feel dumb now....

Josephine I knew was Napoleon's wife. St Helena, I thought of St. Helen, the volcano that erupted in the 80s. And when I saw Elba, the first thing that popped into my mind was that is was able spelled backwards. I know some writers do that, use names/words spelled backwards as inside jokes or to see if anyone will catch it.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

no need to feel dumb, you knew it was a reference to Napoleon.

as to the mines, the iperion mined from them (which is ultra-hazardous to do!) is basically spice. It provides the quantum signature "breadcrumbs" which mark the stringliner paths.

Seeing as how the source of power for the Diadem is control of the hub, and its not a hereditary monarchy, a logical person would be more worried about the mines being well run than a powerless member of her family having an affair. The affair is between the Princess and the head of the de Carre family, which oversees the mine. So the affair IS important, because it is causing in part the mismanagement to occur.

here, i'll just post the relevant passage:
"(DMD) could at last deal with the open criticism of Keana's affair, using the iperion concerns as an excuse...'This is far more important matter than salacious gossip about romantic affairs.'"

Iperion is also only found on one planet. (Not really, only one planet has enough to make it worth mining it. No other planet has near enough to compete, and stripmining the planet for 200 years provided enough iperion to maintain 66 stringline paths.)
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Has someone mentioned the famous palindrome Able was I ere I saw Elba yet? ;)
quantum signature "breadcrumbs" which mark the stringliner paths
Wow... that's possibly even stupider than a "tachyon net". :doh:

I'm glad you're reading this shit and not me. :dance:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Able I was ere I saw Elba.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Madam, I'm Adam.

Wait ... where were we?

Oh, yeah: Hellblow is even more awful than imagined. Right.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

SandChigger wrote:I'm glad you're reading this shit and not me. :dance:
What's it say about me when I find a book entertaining because I'm deconstructing its FAIL line by line?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Brian and Kev compared Adolphus to Napoleon in interviews. Trust them to make the comparison *in the book itself* and then sprinkle Napoleonic references throughout.

:doh:

Just a *little* bit of subtlety wouldn't hurt.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:Able I was ere I saw Elba.
:cat fight:
Ampoliros wrote:What's it say about me when I find a book entertaining because I'm deconstructing its FAIL line by line?
Nothing worse than's probably been said about any number of us over the last few years. ;) :lol:
Hunchback Jack wrote:Just a *little* bit of subtlety wouldn't hurt.
Actually, it might hurt sales when the fanboys didn't get it and KJA got all pissy as a result when no one noticed how clever he had tried to be. ;)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Ampoliros wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I'm glad you're reading this shit and not me. :dance:
What's it say about me when I find a book entertaining because I'm deconstructing its FAIL line by line?
that you would be an excellent literary critic, or test-reader for a publisher that didn't want a reputation
for putting out laugh-out-loud fail-books ...

and why did the elba palindrome get a catfight, chig ?
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yes, but its hard to put the bias aside and remain objective, which I would have to do in a professional atmosphere.

"This makes no sense and needs to be reworked" is quite different from "Stop sniffing glue and eating paint chips while you write. I've enclosed a new box of crayons and a paint-by-numbers book so you can rework your so-called 'plot' Expect arrival of a Dictionary/Thesaurus (my treat) delivered by Slappo the Clown (who, by the way, is respected by his peers in his professional community, and has awards to prove it). If you are unsure as to what exactly is the problem with your manuscript I suggest you take a hand-mirror into the middle of a busy street and look in it."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm not so sure .... I'm all for calling a spade a spade .... and lord knows there is a need in this country for SOMEONE
to tell the truth ... no, you suck .... fuck off & die in a fire ...
ImageImage

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The notes continue.

Pg 59
-Princess Keanu (Keana. I'm sure her name is a reference to Keanu. Why? Well for one thing there are all the fanboy meme's about him, especially about his worthless acting skills and vacant expression.) Keana is KJA's attempt to make his 1d worthless stone-dumb characters work for him. Which it would, if Keanu was the only character in this book to act like that. As we should now expect, she isn't, but at least she's meant to?

-She hangs out at the Cottage, next to Pond of Birds. No, not Cave of Birds, that's Dune. Which this isn't. So it's Pond of Birds. Which is actually a series of ponds, connected by underwater tubes. And apparently some birds, which we never see.

-Lord de Carre swims the underwater tubes in one breath, not to prove his love to Keanu, but to prove his love of her too...himself. They are in love. Like really, really, no really in love.

Pg 62
-Keanu is "incensed by the suggestion of promiscuity" Because she's only having one affair, and only boinking the guy so often they basically just live at the Cottage and fuck until he gets arrested for dereliction of duty.

-No, I didn't make that up.

"spent from making love...(Louis) complained about having to do actual business"
"I'd rather be here with you where I can forget all that nonsense"
"Some of the citizens are even angry at me! How can that be? I've always been concerned about the welfare of my people. I think I'll make a statement in open council session one of these days, just to set the record straight"

-You know, I'm fairly guilty of procrastination, but not to the point where I should be executed for it.

-Run down of whats goin down: De Carre's holdings are being actively sabotaged, which makes his workaholic son look incompetent even while breaking the bank to enforce security and safety in the mines.

-Hey, at least two characters designed to be idiots might make for a minor plot...NO. YOU GET TO READ ABOUT THESE TWO...seriously, is there a word for how useless these two characters are after this chapter? Aboreal Holocaust? I don't know, I simply don't know. They are useless, they are supposed to be useless, they are not supposed to be hero characters, and each one has a surprise in store for you before the book ends.

Why ruin the surprise by telling you now? Because I want you to keep reading. I care enough to try to 'entertain as well as inform'. So I'm gonna give it away. De Carre kills himself after being arrested, and Keanu runs away to try and help De Carre's son, SCREWS EVERYONE OVER BY BEING A FUCKING MORON, tries to kill herself, fails, and becomes a major character.

If the name Keanu didn't fit better, I'd call her Kyp Durron because of her Deus Ex Machina switcheroo. (Kyp Durron was a KJA ultra-jedi who used the SunCrusher to destroy an entire solar system killing billions of people, and got a slap on the wrist when he apologized.)

-Oh, and yes, I'm going to have to talk about Keanu more. And I won't blame you for skipping it.

Pg 64 - Enter Christophe, the de Carre worth a damn. Kinda. Actually, all I'm going to say about Cristophe is that he needs to SHUT DOWN THE MINES AND GO OVER THEM WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB. WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN SHOW THEM ALL THE DEAD MINERS KILLED BY SABOTAGE THAT YOU CAN'T PROVE.

-He doesn't do any of that, and takes the blame for failing to stop sabotage that he can't prove. Or stop. He even considered giving the planet to the family (The Black Lord Realmeanys. Oh, you'd already guessed that, since they are the only other major family given half a consideration in the book. By the way, The Black Lord wears black. Did I mention that?)
-Which would be a GOOD idea, since the mines are basically tapped out. And since no matter how poor or rich you are in this book you always have enough money to go to Olive Garden, you'll be fine.
-He doesn't do any of that, and takes the blame for failing to stop sabotage that he can't prove. Or stop. He even considered giving the planet to the family (The Black Lord Realmeanys. Oh, you'd already guessed that, since they are the only other major family given half a consideration in the book. By the way, The Black Lord wears black. Did I mention that?)
-Which would be a GOOD idea, since the mines are basically tapped out. And since no matter how poor or rich you are in this book you always have enough money to go to Olive Garden, you'll be fine.
-oops, I was only supposed to repeat that twice. oh well, it bumps up the page count!

pg 69
-In the aftermath of the growler storm Vince and F! are going to get temp jobs working for MFLF. Still no mention of the 1-year contract.

pg 70
-Alkaline Dust covers everything, yet one of MFLF's workers goes out without a mask and gets chided for it. Google Alkaline Dust. Its a real world hazard in minor doses. It covers everything here. Yet, since this is Hellhole, no one gets sick or dies.

pg 71 MFLF left an overbearing psycho husband to come to Hellhole. She figured he wasn't psycho enough to follow her here. That's 2 for 2 women who left behind psycho men who destroyed their lives to come here.

pg 72
Hoo-boy....this is one of my favorite parts, something you've seen comin'.
-"wear masks , eye shields, and gloves. After that storm, even long-term Hellhole residents need protection--and as newbies you'll react badly to all the junk in the air...inflammation and rashes...Devon groaned. 'The intestinal bug is the worst'"
Dune 1984 wrote:Reverend Mother Mohaim set just outside the Emperor's audience chamber. Inside, Shaddam was 'entertaining' the Guild Navigator. He had asked her to remain close enough to provide a telepathic report of the Navigator's thoughts, something that might explain the guild's secrecy and haste. The navigator had just mentioned a problem they saw with the Emperor's plan. Here it comes...
"The teams rendezvous in front of the main warehouse and climbed into the flatbeds that rumbled out to low hills covered with a corduroy of grapevines. At the sight of the grayish-green powder that coated her vine stock, Sophie felt sick...'That stuff is going to kill my vines! Get out there, concentrate on the leaves and any grapes that are forming.' She didn't want to think about what the alkaline residue would do to the wine's taste. All the more reason to clean off the dust as quickly as possible.
Rolling water tanks followed the suited crews...they used a liberal spray to rinse the hard, unripe grape clusters. F! was thoroughly entertained by his high-power blower that scoured the dust away with bursts of air. Vincent worked...and between the two of them they did a thorough job."

:angry-steamingears:

Welcome to Hellhole.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is EPIC. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do some more, quick! :D
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:This is EPIC. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do some more, quick! :D
Let the man have a break. We want him SANE, not brain dead from too much exposure.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Perhaps they named it "Hellhole" because it's a Hellhole of atrocious writing.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The sooner I finish, the sooner I can get to my reward: The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.

pg 74
-Finally, MFLF mentions the 1-year contract to Vince and F! Everyone has to follow it (except the religious fanatics who left with all that precious equipment.)

-F! wants to go talk to NAH! so he can get a special job.

pg 79
-NAH! provides a vehicle, equipment, and 'training' for Vince and F! to be a scout/surveyor team.

-Now its mentioned that discovery of the alien artifacts didn't cause much of a fuss, Vincent never heard about them.

pg 84
-Captain Jack Solo (Walfor) Mr. Black Market FTL ship guy:
"full of bluster and good cheer"
A fucking Dictionary wrote:blus·ter
   /ˈblʌstər/ Show Spelled[bluhs-ter] Show IPA
–verb (used without object)
1. to roar and be tumultuous, as wind.
2. to be loud, noisy, or swaggering; utter loud, empty menaces or protests: He blusters about revenge but does nothing.
–verb (used with object)
3. to force or accomplish by blustering: He blustered his way through the crowd.
sounds like a sociopath

"impeccably honest", "black marketer"

-He constantly hits on Tanja, Planetary Administrator #2, whom depending on the mood of the writer, is either completely uninterested or slightly uninterested, for the moment. I.e. this is one of three pairs/couples in the book that doesn't get busy.

-flies an aerocopter. not an ornithopter. yet another 'fakey' name meant to sound what? more science fictiony? Why not Fanjet, or Ultra-Whirlygig or spin-y-blade plane? how about HELICOPTER, since that's what it is?

-Has access to FTL ships, which are cumbersome. Finally Mr. BA Physics realized that FTL is still SAS in interstellar space.

pg 85
-"As he worked the controls with great confidence, Tanja (PA2) thought he looked particularly handsome."

pg 86
-PA2 has retarded cousins who think its funny to unhook floating buildings and watch them crash into each other. She has to pay for the damages and scolds them, they laugh in her face and don't understand why she doesn't think its funny. Y'know, typical 3 line microplot from KJA.

Pg 87
-No way, Ridgetop is a secret source of Iperion, richer than even the de carre mines! We sure are lucky that no one discovered this until it became useful to NAH! and his nu-rebellion. Its almost like a secret treasure trove that miraculously appears just at the right time so you can complete the project of your dreams!

-Here I skipped a lot of meaningless crap (about 10 pages). Nobles talking about useless
'politics', more setting up for THE MYSTERIOUS ASSASSIN.

-Pg 97 Backstory! (we get lots of these and they aren't always the same, even when told by the same character...) The first rebellion in 4 pages or less! (2 actually)

-NAH! gave up his inheritance, joined the military.
-Lots of secondary sons in military.
-NAH!'s dad dies, then his brother. NAH! fights in court to regain his inheritance, no, you can't have it back.
-NAH! and all the "second-stringers" get assigned to a survey ship sent to study a "well-cataloged and predictable nova that was due to flare up"
-Well, of course the coordinates for the survey ship seem weird, and all the officers start questioning why they would send a ship to survey a nova that is already so well known. They radio in and are told not to ask questions and yes those are the coordinates.
-NAH! gets out a calculator and punches some buttons and Hey...someone is trying to kill us! Like you need a calculator to tell you the coordinates they gave you are "squarely in the death zone" of a well known nova.

pg 100
-This is where Franck goes all rambo and storms into his families old manor and murders everyone.
-NAH! and his officers decide to rebel, so they "commandeered a group of larger military vessels"
-which is apparently as easy as eating pancakes, since they use those ships and "seized a fleet of old but still functional warships."
-Man, it couldn't be easier to build a fleet if they just gave him the ships.

Here's the interesting part: the rebellion takes 5 years. That's 4 years, 11 months, 30 days longer than it should have taken, because space travel revolves on a keystone: the stringline hub. Take it out and boom, EVERYONE is stuck using old FTL (unless they were already in transit and paying attention)
-What is NAH! going after in the first scene? What does he capture? WHAT DOES HE SURRENDER?
-Example: Imagine Paul, standing before the Guild, threatening to unleash the water of death. Then Shaddam pulls a knife and threatens to kill some innocent civilians, and Paul surrenders.

But, hey this isn't my story, so we'll just have to accept the possibility that a population of sub 75 IQ humanoids somehow created a space-faring society.

-Oh, it also means that the first rebellion was lesser nobles fighting major nobles. I have no idea why the rabble would give a shit about that.

Pg 104
-Col. Muttonchops "His silvery muttonchop sideburns even puffier than usual" regales his son with his version of what happened on that fateful day.

Pg 105
-"cufftabs" 'scuse me a moment Eyes.

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK CALL THEM WHAT THEY FUCKING ARE. DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK ANYONE, ANYONE THINKS THAT FUCKING CUFFTABS! ARE COOLER THAT CUFFLINKS?

Pg 106
-Col. Muttonchops tells his son about how one of his own crewmen shot him in the head after he threatened NAH! with death to the civilians: "Right after I delivered my ultimatum, that's when the traitor on my staff rushed from his station, pointed his sidearm at me and actually fired!" But Col. Muttonchops was too fast, he dodges (mostly, still hit in the head) and pulled his own gun out and killed the traitor.

-now I'm a little skeptical of this story for 3 reasons.
1, never mentioned in the beginning, so how was it 'right after I delivered my ultimatum"
2, In this scene seems a little senile...and he and his son don't exactly see eye to eye.
3, you'll have to wait for.

Pg 108
-"Mercifuls" a secular order of nurses.

Pg 111
-discussion of how stringline ships work. basically iperion markers draw out a pre-mapped safe route through space so that ships can move along them at "superfast" speeds. Doesn't use any kind of dimensional shifting or hyperspace, so ships have to stick to a schedule so they don't run into each other.
-Man, it sure is a good thing that nothing in space moves...

Pg 113-117 Keanu!

dinner catered by Olive Garden!, okay not really, but from the language used, it convinced me that KJA considered Olive Garden to be such high-scale fare, that even Princesses of Star Realms eat like this:

"(Keanu) took a last bite of seafood mousse, then sopped up the white sauce with her bread".

-okay, now admittedly I don't know much about dining with royalty, but sopping up the sauce with the bread is something fat white pasty middle class people like me and KJA do, not people with actual table manners. Its something Jabecca does at Olive Garden, I'll put $50 on that right now.

-chardon' Google replies: Did you mean: chardonnay wine
-wines are named for regions. if you aren't going to use the real name then make up a different one.
-here's a freebie, they are on Sonjeera, call it Sonjerade.

-Oh no! Lord de Carre is being arrested for being a useless twit who abandoned his duties. I really think they want us to feel sorry for him. Why. HE IS GUILTY. Apparently he's missed six votes in council without naming a proxy or representative and ignored a call to debate his failure to maintain his holdings.
-They slap an adhesive band over his mouth "we are enforcing your right to remain silent"
-"Through the gag on his mouth, Louis couldn't even shout a farewell to her." Good, put one on her too.
-"She knew Louis had shirked some of his tedious duties in order to spend more time with her, but she hadn't believed any of the meetings were particularly important."

pg 118-119
-Hey, lets all try to explain agriculture on Hellhole so that Amp will STFU about the vineyard!
-"everything had to be laid down from scratch, Base soil level fertilizer matrix, primary nutrients."
-"In the open fields, we're getting some crops to survive the native blights...so far only a handful of hardy cereal grains do well. Most crops need to be grown inside the domes."

-actually, it was at this point that I figured it out. You see, Hellhole is really nothing more than KJA going through his clip file of lost stories, things he couldn't fit in other books. Well, we all know his Dune stuff, and his Star Wars stuff. His X-files hack work will show up later in the book, so where do these super-plants come from? Last days of Krypton. That's right, these hardy cereal grains and vineyards must be surviving lightning storms that burn the ground and alien ultra-parasites because they are literally super-plants. I mean its either that, or the author has to admit that he totally forgot about just how harsh the ultra-bad weather was in his own creation.

-Oh, and those parasites are so persistent they can still get through the filtering systems in the hydroponic domes and have to be carefully, almost surgically removed, plant by plant, or they will kill them in a matter of days.

Pg 123
-static storms create St. Elmo's Fire. Okay, see, this is the time to create a new name for something that historically in your universe would have a new name by now. Tiny gripe, I know.

Pg 125
-Goler (Mark Bellison, from The Invention of Lying), a Deep Zone administrator that everyone thinks is a bad guy, even the bad guys and even his own assistant (who is a secret good guy). But he's a good guy, who is smart enough to use his bad guy status to his advantage. I use the name of the guy from The Invention of Lying because: "(Mark) had actually convinced the Constellation that goldenwood leaves are valuable and could be processed into exotic materials and coatings (though he had never been entirely convinced about the idea himself) No one on Ridgetop saw much use in the leaves..."

-He pulls off another astounding con later, which shifts the balance of power in the entire universe. Not because he's a good conman, but because he lives in a space-faring society where no one has an IQ over 75.

pg 126
-mentioned that FTL trips to the deep zone (not stringline routes) take months to years.

pg 131
-PA2 "Hiking was one of her favorite forms of exercise...The exertion was not hard for her, since she kept herself active and fit. Her cousins thought she was funny, laughing that she would try to avoid feminine plumpness."

-"earadio" STOP IT.

-"she...heard a distant sonic boom, (Captain Jack Solo) showing off in one of his shuttles,"
-he's supposed to be meeting her covertly to take a shipment of iperion to Hellhole

-"slingvator" I SAID STOP IT!
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Ampoliros wrote:pg 84
-Captain Jack Solo (Walfor) Mr. Black Market FTL ship guy:
"full of bluster and good cheer"
A fucking Dictionary wrote:blus·ter
   /ˈblʌstər/ Show Spelled[bluhs-ter] Show IPA
–verb (used without object)
1. to roar and be tumultuous, as wind.
2. to be loud, noisy, or swaggering; utter loud, empty menaces or protests: He blusters about revenge but does nothing.
–verb (used with object)
3. to force or accomplish by blustering: He blustered his way through the crowd.
sounds like a sociopath

"impeccably honest", "black marketer"

-He constantly hits on Tanja, Planetary Administrator #2, whom depending on the mood of the writer, is either completely uninterested or slightly uninterested, for the moment. I.e. this is one of three pairs/couples in the book that doesn't get busy.

-flies an aerocopter. not an ornithopter. yet another 'fakey' name meant to sound what? more science fictiony? Why not Fanjet, or Ultra-Whirlygig or spin-y-blade plane? how about HELICOPTER, since that's what it is?

-Has access to FTL ships, which are cumbersome. Finally Mr. BA Physics realized that FTL is still SAS in interstellar space.
I'll tell you who this guy sounds like... he sounds like these two guys stuck together.

Image Image

Captain JACK ... SOLO indeed. :D
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Just to be clear, Capt Jack Solo is the nickname I came up with for the character, since that's obviously who he's meant to be.

It reminds me of all the pirates at the ren faires. Pirates of the Caribbean came out and suddenly every fuckin pirate was a clone of Captain Jack Sparrow. It was so bad we came to call them "Captain Jack Swallows."
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Ah, okay.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So, Amp, you think maybe the one character's bluster is a result of the bombastic holocausts of the growler storms? :think:

:laughing-rolling:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm pretty sure it's a result of the fact that KJA doesn't carry a dictionary with him when he dicta-hicks, and he doesn't edit away cool sounding words, or even bother to look them up. Which took me all of 10 seconds.

How Walfor builds a profitable, and severely important FTL black market when his travel times are (supposed to be) months to years as opposed to hours or days, well hey, his ships move at the speed of dramatic import!

I'm just wondering if KJA had some gastric distress touring one of those microbrewery he loves so much, and while squirting out a shitstorm he thought "How can I turn this into an idea for another Sci-fi epic trilogy?"

"Wait, I know, "Growler!""

I thought last night about making this into a game, I'd set up my notes as usual, but I'd add my own fake KJA-ism into them, and see if you guys could figure out which thing I mentioned was fake. There are some hard things to top in this book, though.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

(Off topic)

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:and why did the elba palindrome get a catfight, chig ?
Just kidding. The way you posted it, after I'd quoted it before, made it no longer a palindrome. Thought you was a' startin' sompin'. :lol:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:clap:

Simply outstanding, Amp.

And gods, it sounds appalling.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I have to admit, I've only been skimming this topic because I'm having a hard enough time just trying to read through Amp's notes. KJA's writing is THAT horrendous.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

sorry, then; I am guilty of posting-without-reading, for I too have only skimmed this thread ...
(not that the work isn't good or important, but a line-by of Keith's horseshit is more than I can take ...)

I just saw Eye's post about thinking "able" when reading "elba' - and I'll guarantee she's read that line before,
and just didn't remember it, but it was right there in her subconscious, making the connection on its own ...

(one of them tricks of good poetry, to reference or allude to some common cultural touchstone -
evoking an unbidden, emotional response ... which is why on the surface, some poetry makes
no fucking sense at all, but some people claim to be so "moved" by it ...)

Tolkien said the most beautiful sound in the English Language was "cellar door" ...
ImageImage