Smellhole Notes.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Smellhole Notes.

Post by SandChigger »

Have you seen Diaphragm(=JizzDam)'s latest post in the vineyard thread on Amazon?
C. Carter, although I appreciate that you found my answer to be more to your liking, Brian's no slouch either.
No, he's more of a couch.
I got to meet Brian Conway for the first time the other day and found him to be a pleasant and intelligent fellow.
Like HE would know one if one came up and took a healthy pizza bite out of his ass. :roll: To wit:
And let me clarify what that side is as far as I'm concerned, I am both a fan and friend of Kevin J. Anderson.
Nuff said: shitty taste in both books & people.
As the main argument for you guys of Jacurutu are how Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson have written the Dune universe and you feel that is poorly written, then why aren't you guys just taking a break from this one as it's not a Dune book and just have a breather?
"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE US ALONE FOR ONCE?!" :tissue2:

:laughing-rolling:

It's always amusing when a fat man whines. Squeal, piggy, squeal. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Dukester, what did you post after Amp's comment? Amazon has zapped it already, so I figure it was good. :lol:
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Robspierre wrote:
SandRider wrote:
SandRider wrote:Image

Kevin ....

Brother, seriously .....

Get your fucking hands out of your pockets.

or at the very least, don't tuck your thumbs in, too .... my god ....

reminds me of the coaching the PR people had to do with the NASA wonks during Apollo;
they actually issued a memo about putting hands on hips - if you just had to do it,
make sure your thumbs are facing back ....
I'm thinking this pic was specifically taken to send us a "message." What other reason would there be to post that thing. Hell, those guys make me look tiny!

Rob
Usually muscle tends to send that message better than lard.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I can kick all those midget/dwarfs asses.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:Have you seen Diaphragm(=JizzDam)'s latest post in the vineyard thread on Amazon?
C. Carter, although I appreciate that you found my answer to be more to your liking, Brian's no slouch either.
I got to meet Brian Conway for the first time the other day and found him to be a pleasant and intelligent fellow.
Like HE would know one if one came up and took a healthy pizza bite out of his ass. :roll: To wit:
And let me clarify what that side is as far as I'm concerned, I am both a fan and friend of Kevin J. Anderson.
As the main argument for you guys of Jacurutu are how Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson have written the Dune universe and you feel that is poorly written, then why aren't you guys just taking a break from this one as it's not a Dune book and just have a breather?

I'm getting a distinct Deliverance feel here. :puke:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Dukester, what did you post after Amp's comment? Amazon has zapped it already, so I figure it was good. :lol:
Man, I don't know. :think:

I'm at a loss; it really was pretty mild. I more-or-less told DJ Dizzy Jam that it was a free country and that I would mock Dozer when and where I chose.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Have you seen Diaphragm(=JizzDam)'s latest post in the vineyard thread on Amazon?

I'm getting a distinct Deliverance feel here. :puke:
You gotta mighty purdy mouth, boy.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:?

It's 'shopped, trust me. :P
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

New Hypothesis:

KJA loves him some superweapons. He also (claims) to love him some Dune. (We know he loves the checks and the fame!) And above all he loves himself some 1-up on anything and everything.

Dune is a harsh environment. Virtually no water. Sandstorms that can shred metal. Giant worms that defend the spice sands. Nomadic Warriors that consider the water in your blood more valuable than human life.

NOW VISIT HELLHOLE!

Hellhole is a Harsherer environment. Some water. Alien parasites. Ultra beetles that can chew through armor and devour flesh. (even though they can't digest it...) Myriad unseen beasties. Storms that scorch and shatter the ground. Open lava flows visible from space. Storms, Storms, and Storms within storms.

Now maybe its just me, but Hellhole sounds exactly like the next 1-up super weapon by the master of "it goes to TWELVE-TEEN": KJA.

Especially because of this: It doesn't really work. The super weapon-ness of his own creation is ignored when the author is incapable of or uncaring enough to ignore its effects when he's writing.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Sev

Post by Sev »

Incapable of imagining the environment and too damn lazy to do real research - other than having Dante's Peak on while editing. Is there any indication in the thanks and acknowledgments that they consulted with any geologists or planetologists? One of my favourite 'adapting to harsh conditions' SF series is the Lear's Daughters duology by Marjorie Bradley Kellogg and William B. Rossow - Dr. Rossow is a NASA planetologist and gets an co-author credit though I'm not sure how much of the actual writing is his. The planet feels alive, though, thanks to his input - something Smellhole will never be.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Ampoliros wrote:New Hypothesis:

KJA loves him some superweapons. He also (claims) to love him some Dune. (We know he loves the checks and the fame!) And above all he loves himself some 1-up on anything and everything.

Dune is a harsh environment. Virtually no water. Sandstorms that can shred metal. Giant worms that defend the spice sands. Nomadic Warriors that consider the water in your blood more valuable than human life.

NOW VISIT HELLHOLE!

Hellhole is a Harsherer environment. Some water. Alien parasites. Ultra beetles that can chew through armor and devour flesh. (even though they can't digest it...) Myriad unseen beasties. Storms that scorch and shatter the ground. Open lava flows visible from space. Storms, Storms, and Storms within storms.

Now maybe its just me, but Hellhole sounds exactly like the next 1-up super weapon by the master of "it goes to TWELVE-TEEN": KJA.

Especially because of this: It doesn't really work. The super weapon-ness of his own creation is ignored when the author is incapable of or uncaring enough to ignore its effects when he's writing.
Now, now, maybe KJA is right and vineyards are impervious to harsh weather and conditions. :laughing:
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Amp, what are you using to make the comics?

Rob
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

It's the power of imagination!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

A nice little flash website called http://www.stripgenerator.com.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

TheKJA managed again to get my blood pressure up.

I imagine that when you write a novel, you re-write re-read numerous times before the book is finished. YOU as the WRITER will KNOW almost every single sentence and what it is about ... almost like a singer that knows his lyrics by heart .... of course not our favorite godawfilshitewriter:

From yesterday's blog:

"I’m rereading Hellhole, so that Brian and I can do our full-fledged outline of the second novel and start writing soon;"

"I’ve got to reread all seven volumes of the original Saga of Seven Suns to refresh my memory so I can begin work on the new trilogy,"

:angry-screaming:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's easy to forget things that are meaningless.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Very telling, isn't it? His writing is so disposable and lightweight that not even the author can remember it.

Calling Spanky McDune a hack is unkind to hacks everywhere.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

:sad-roulette:
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Actually I'm going to have to defend him on this one. I'm not a published writer, and I haven't written much in the last couple years, but for a few years I was working on the same project every couple days, and there were a million times when I read something in my notes/various outlines and realized I'd forgotten so much of it. Now, after 2 years of less writing, I really can't remember it much... I mean, I know the basic story and outline, what the characters are mostly like, but all the details, all the little side plots, lots of the backstory, and even chunks of the main plot - gone. I can't remember them at all.

And I'm someone working on 1 project over what has now got to be 5 or 6 years. KJA writes 1 book every couple/few weeks. Even if he has a better memory than I do (mine is sub-par for remembering things I've read/written) he can easily be excused for needing to go back and brush up on things.

I wish he'd done the same for Dune. :(
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

okay, but that's your case, and you are talking about an unfinished work that you never
solidified in your mind, and haven't looked at for awhile .... Keith was just on the book
tour for the book he can't remember ... how did he answer fannyboy questions about
the details .... cause you know there had to be some ...

one of a real writer's talents should be a good recall & detail memory ... atleast for
a book you just wrote and did a book tour for ... I go with Freak - meaningless
babble is easy to forget .... (ask me details about any of my tl;dr's)

and if the "process" really is talking the story into a recorder and "editing" the typescript
for typos while watching DVDs .... also, and we've had this discussion before, I'm not
convinced that Keith is any sort of great intellect at all; he doesn't put much thought
into the creation of the story (napkins at a pizza joint ?), certainly doesn't put any
thought into the edits ... never hear much talk of re-writes ...

plus, he has all these different "projects" bouncing around in his balding head ...

I'm actually surprised to hear that he is reading one before squirting out a sequel ...
(not surprised he was compelled to blahg about it tho ...)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Rereading his own material, studying up for Dune. None of it matters. Not when his style of writing is hike-n-hack.

He could be going in a good direction and then...SQUIRREL!...What was I talking about? Oh yeah, we need a bigger death star!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm hoping that after all these years, there will be some real ultra-groaner intra-McDune fuck-ups in Shysterhood (No The) of Dune. :twisted: :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Like maybe the Rossak Sorceresses ask the Tleilaxu to create a genetic mutagen poison called Gom Jabbar that can grant their powers to those that survive the poison and kills anyone who doesn't survive.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Actually I'm going to have to defend him on this one. I'm not a published writer, and I haven't written much in the last couple years, but for a few years I was working on the same project every couple days, and there were a million times when I read something in my notes/various outlines and realized I'd forgotten so much of it. Now, after 2 years of less writing, I really can't remember it much... I mean, I know the basic story and outline, what the characters are mostly like, but all the details, all the little side plots, lots of the backstory, and even chunks of the main plot - gone. I can't remember them at all.

And I'm someone working on 1 project over what has now got to be 5 or 6 years. KJA writes 1 book every couple/few weeks. Even if he has a better memory than I do (mine is sub-par for remembering things I've read/written) he can easily be excused for needing to go back and brush up on things.

I wish he'd done the same for Dune. :(
Like the Sandrider said .. he just published the book and was on tour for it. Besides that he mentions he needs to re-read it to brainstorm an outline ... no need for details yet.

Of course a writer needs to re-read his books after a decent amoutn of time ... better yet ... have a good set of notes, outline, concordance et cetera available. Of course the hack doesn't write AT ALL; he dictahikes, and like him I usually also forget rather fast what I have said, but have a far better memory when I have written thing down.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

He claims to carefully read these books at least 7 times when he's doing his final edits. How many more times does he need to read something which repeats every detail 10 times. Reading a kja book 7 times is like reading something else at least 70 times.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros