What if John Harrison Had Directed GEOD?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

What if John Harrison Had Directed GEOD?

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Although I find John Harrison's DUNE miniseries to be imperfect and slightly MST3K fodder, I still like the way the films were done. I was disappointed that Sci Fi wouldn't permit John Harrison to direct his new series based off of GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE. Since I have the honor of being among sharp and imaginative minds here, I ask you: what would be the result if John Harrison were able to direct GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE as a Sci-Fi channel miniseries?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
merkin muffley

Re: What if John Harrison Had Directed GEOD?

Post by merkin muffley »

Hwi Noree would wear a big hat.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It wouldn't have enough Hot Ghanima.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

It also wouldn't have Daniela Amavia :(
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Hwi Noree would be played by a Czechoslovakian or Polish babe with scientific intelligence and valuable breeding assets. (Fit for a Worm God!)
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nayla's hat would have it's own make-up trailer.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Fish Speaker hats!
I'm not sure I want to think about that. :lol:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Nayla's hat would have it's own make-up trailer.
What about Duncan's rope? :P
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Yeah, once again, funny costumes. But at least the script would have respect for the story and ultimately, that's what counts, right?
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, but Leto II would be a really bad special effect.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Yeah, but Leto II would be a really bad special effect.

HBJ
I've put a lot of time into thinking how I would do GEOD if given the chance -- particularly the problem you speak of, in addition to the issues presented by the book's highly philosophical/narrative-driven style and the considerable difficulties involved in bridging the book's ending with a version that would be just "Hollywood" enough to make it satisfying (he'll, even uplifting and pleasant, if such a thing is possible?!).....

Obviously, it would be one hell of a challenge, even with adequate funding & resources (at one time I had Middle Eastern friends, fellow Dune fans, intersted in supporting such a project if the rights could be secured, but as we know that's unlikely and it's been years since I had those offers); but one that I would relish.

Holy jumpin' Jeebus S. Jehosaphat, a Dune web-movie/miniseries that manages not only to not be a trainwreck embarrassment....but also avoid the Hat Factor? Imagine that!
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

How do you do it so Leto II doesn't look like Jabba with a face? I'm not making a joke and I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but this is THE problem to overcome. George Lucas ruined it for us! I'm willing to bet that this is why scify stopped at Children, all the film magic in the world won't keep the kids from saying/thinking, "What's Jabba the Hutt doing here?"
It's a shame really, and we all know it.

Does anyone remember the drawing of the God Emperor someone once posted here for scale? Someone said that the question of size came up elsewhere (just how big is the worm-ha!) and they hammered out something quick to show.

Found it! only 50 pages in!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=494&hilit=how+big+is+leto+ii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for this, I found that that the Jabba/Leto thing has come up before. I'm not looking to jump into that stuff, just what I said above.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

There would be ways to present Leto, though perhaps not all of them completely canonical.

One thought: our hypothetical producers could go for something super-scary and/or -disturbing. De-humanize the facial area even more, in other words. That would help get it away from the "Jabba with a face" worries.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

As a made for TV movie they would have found ways to avoid showing Leto as much as possible, the publicity would go on about how this adaptation focussed more on the rebellion and Siona's choices... but the reality is CGI worm things are a good way to piss money down the drain.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdilt3k ... r_embedded[/youtube]
What's all that noise in the background?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

merkin muffley wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdilt3k ... r_embedded[/youtube]
What's all that noise in the background?

There is another video where they show his vision of the danger in the future and they show these robots walking around, lol.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Sounds like traffic in the background.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

My body is about seven meters long and somewhat more than two meters in diameter, ribbed for most of your pleasure...