Hello, all!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Alpha Carinae

Hello, all!

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Hello!

I've been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks now and have been enjoying the discussions of all things Dune (and quasi-Dune). Time I introduced myself, really. This is probably a familiar story to you guys... :roll:

I first read Dune as an early teen: a cliche battered paperback that my mum picked up from a library giveaway. I fell in love with the deep world, subtle themes and characters, the intrigue and in particular the most incredible writing style I have ever had the good fortune to read.

FH is the only author who has had this strange effect on me while reading. I find myself staring at the bottom of a page after the first paragraph has put me into such deep imagination and contemplation that my eyes have kept moving but I've forgotten to read.

I've read and loved all of the original Dune series - though I'm ashamed to say I have never gotten around to reading any other FH works.

I was thrilled when I heard that the reins of Dune had been taken over by Frank's son and some novelist who sounded vaguely familiar.

If I remember right, I read the 'Legends' series of prequels first and was horrified to find it full of gross misunderstandings about the BJ, horrible prequel tropes along the lines of "all lore happened on the same Saturday by the same people at 3:03pm", ridiculous soft-sci-fi concepts and none of the subtleties of FH. But hey... it was a pre-prequel and didn't really affect Dune too much (I convinced myself).

Next up I read the prelude series, gritting my teeth at the mockery that had been made of the characters, the obvious plot-holes and inconsitencies, mysticism and redundant storylines.

I still went and bought Dune 7 (or Dune 7-8, Dune 7.5?) like a fool.

I raged at the Hunters introduction - such arrogance and dubious legitimising. And then, thinking I couldn't rage any more, I read the first few chapters. The characters had become utter morons and seemed to suffer amnesia, the setting was a horribly literal and redundant vision of Duncan's way of saying "we're lost", it treated me like an idiot, reminding me of events that happened a few pages prior and it was painfully obvious that the big-bads would turn out to be roleplaying robots.

I put the book down and went to do some research. I found "spoilers" to confirm how ludicrous the ending was and also found some very saddening stories about how the Herbert estate had treated Frank's loyal fans, such as the Second-Life roleplaying group, the word "Talifans" and the news that any inconsistency is resolved by the fact that it was, in actuality, the originals which were wrong.

In the end, though I found this place and learned to laugh at the bumblings of KJA and HLP. So thank you, Jacurutu. :)
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Hello, all!

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Hi.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome home!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Welcome! I had a very similar experience. You've come to the right place.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Alpha Carinae wrote:I raged at the Hunters introduction - such arrogance and dubious legitimising.
Yeah, it's Hunters and/or Sandworms that usually does it. The stupidity, lack of caring, poor writing, and overall arrogance from everyone involved just becomes too much ...

Anyway, welcome. Watch for a cat called SandRider to make it official when he declares that your water is pretty much ours now.

Also, be sure to see the Reading Groups threads. I've picked up a lot from them, even if I haven't participated much.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome Alpha C. You have found the right tribe my brother of the sand.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome home :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

you've found what you were looking for :)

Btw I didn't even know about the 2nd Life thingy...
According to this article it was only 50 to 75 people involved in it. Just when I thought I'd seen the HLPiss stoop as low as it was humanly possible, like with the Spanish fan movie; they show how small minded they are !

Spice is the worm's gonads.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Welcome!

Rob
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Grrrr! C-blocked by the green tushie! :twisted: )

Achlan wasachlan! :D

(Your sietch-name in Fremen shall be Suhel. ;) )
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:you've found what you were looking for :)

Btw I didn't even know about the 2nd Life thingy...
According to this article it was only 50 to 75 people involved in it. Just when I thought I'd seen the HLPiss stoop as low as it was humanly possible, like with the Spanish fan movie; they show how small minded they are !

That was the last place I left my 2nd Life avatar. I wonder what happened to me.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi :)
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Kull Wahad! Thanks for the warm welcome. :)
TheDukester wrote:be sure to see the Reading Groups threads. I've picked up a lot from them, even if I haven't participated much.
Will do. I already enjoyed the thread about Mohiam's eyes.
lotek wrote:Just when I thought I'd seen the HLPiss stoop as low as it was humanly possible, like with the Spanish fan movie; they show how small minded they are !
Yeah, it was a pretty saddening article to read. It also caught the attention of the GNU dude Richard Stallman on this article. I just read about the Spanish movie today... :(
SandChigger wrote:(Your sietch-name in Fremen shall be Suhel. ;) )
Heheh, nice one. 8)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

;)
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

Alpha Carinae wrote:In the end, though I found this place and learned to laugh at the bumblings of KJA and HLP.
...so have we all... so have we all. :lol: (belated) Greetings and Salutations!
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley: