If the religion is Buddislamic...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

If the religion is Buddislamic...

Post by SandChigger »

Or Buddislam, what do you call the followers?

Mubuddislims? :shock:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: If the religion is Buddislamic...

Post by Freakzilla »

The People of the Hose
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'd say it would be "Buddislamists" to outsiders, non-believers ...

what's your derivation for "Mubuddislims" ?

and what's the relationship between "Islam" & "Muslim", linguistically ?

if I remember correctly, "Islam" is "The Way" and "Muslim" is "follower of the way" ... is that right ?

and seems like they called jesus' teachings "The Way" .... the Buddhas too, yeah ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Um, Zensunni?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:I'd say it would be "Buddislamists" to outsiders, non-believers ...
OK. Which do you use more frequently, though, "Islamist" or "Muslim"?
what's your derivation for "Mubuddislims" ?

and what's the relationship between "Islam" & "Muslim", linguistically ?

if I remember correctly, "Islam" is "The Way" and "Muslim" is "follower of the way" ... is that right ?
S-L-M is the root (same as salam peace); the verb is salima, with derived Form IV aslama to submit to God, and the active participle of that is muslim. (So the mu-—and probably the -i- as well—is the same formative element as in muaddib.) Just as muaddib is "one who teaches proper etiquette", muslim means "one who submits to God".

Buddhism is Budhiya and if you slap that together with Islam you get Budhislam. If you ignore the obvious irregularity of that Indic lump at the beginning and smack the mu- on the front and change the end the same way as before, you get mubudhislim, conformed to FH's slightly irregular spelling as "Mubuddislim". :)
and seems like they called jesus' teachings "The Way" .... the Buddhas too, yeah ?
Wayists ... sounds like that bat-critter's religion in Andromeda. ;)
SadisticCynic wrote:Um, Zensunni?
The Zensunnis weren't the only Buddislamists.
FH in the Religion Appendix wrote: 4. The so-called Ancient Teachings—including those preserved by the Zensunni Wanderers from the first, second, and third Islamic movements; the Navachristianity of Chusuk, the Buddislamic Variants of the types dominant at Lankiveil and Sikun, ...
FH in Terminology of the Imperium wrote:ORANGE CATHOLIC BIBLE: the "Accumulated Book," the religious text produced by the Commission of Ecumenical Translators. It contains elements of most ancient religions, including the Maometh Saari, Mahayana Christianity, Zensunni Catholicism and Buddislamic traditions. Its supreme commandment is considered to be: "Thou shall not disfigure the soul."
;)
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

I think Saffron robes with huge beards could be a good look.

FTR the word would presumably would have to combine Buddhist and Muslim in some way, no?

Islam refers to the community, like the word Christianity refers as a whole to all Christians or the religion itself. You wouldn't point to someone and say "That person is a Christianity." Just like you wouldn't say "That person is an Islam or Islamist or whatever." BTW The term Islamist is generally used to refer to people who have a theocratic Islamic view of government afaik.

The equivalent words for Islam and Christianity, (the one set of terms even atheists know by instinct):

Noun, the religion as a whole: Islam/Christianity
Adjective, associated with the religion: Islamic/Christian
Noun, member of the religion: Muslim/Christian
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Depends on how you were phrasing the statement, I could be incorrect about this, but you could call a person Islamic, just not an Islamic. So calling someone Buddhislamic sounds fine to me, but I wouldn't call someone a Buddhislamic.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Depends on how you were phrasing the statement, I could be incorrect about this, but you could call a person Islamic, just not an Islamic. So calling someone Buddhislamic sounds fine to me, but I wouldn't call someone a Buddhislamic.
Yeah I think that's right. Islamic is an adjective but not a noun.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The Hajj starts today. :dance:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Going again this year, are you? ;)

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

SandChigger wrote:Or Buddislam, what do you call the followers?

Mubuddislims? :shock:
Perhaps the designated word for this type of follower would be a Buddimuslim. I rather like the sound of it.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Going again this year, are you? ;)

I think that's supposed to be "IED". :roll:
~Pink Snowman