What College did y'all go to?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

What College did y'all go to?

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I can't go to a single social event (besides all teenage, drink/drug related) without having some douchebag annoying adult be like "Have you thought about what college you're going to now?" No, I'm a junior in high school, for the next eight months. Shut up. I don't know my fucking major, asshole. I don't know where I'm going to college. Please stop pretending you care. I told my parents I didn't want to go to college just to give 'em a scare, but I don't really know where I am going, at least regionally. My Dad went to Cornell law, and I never hear the end of it. Any Ivy-Leaguers or otherwise here?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Post by SandChigger »

The Ohio State University
University of Tsukuba

I favor universities with asinine rules concerning their names: OSU dictates that "The" is part of the official name; Tsukuba says that placing "The" in front of the name is incorrect. :shock: :doh:

Who gives a fuck? :lol:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I took some night courses at Langara college in Vancouver. That's about it. Also the school of Hard Knocks.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Ivy League, schmivy league.

Get a job! :Adolf:

EDIT:
Wesleyan University for B.A.
Columbia University for F.M.L.
Last edited by merkin muffley on 29 Sep 2010 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
The Red Duke

Post by The Red Duke »

Dude, take time off and figure out if university is actually what you want. I took 3 years between high school and university, and that was the best decision of my life.

Brandon University
Last edited by The Red Duke on 28 Sep 2010 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
I have a special seat in my house that is designed to let me shit in a bowl of fresh water. I am the 1%.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'd say go right to school and get that shit over with. Plenty of time to fuck around and find yourself even when you're going to school and working full time.

St. Cloud State University and
St. Mary's University of MN
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

New Mexico State University-Alamogordo

New Mexico State University

Find a school that fits you.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

University of Texas at Austin
1968-1972 (did not graduate)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

University of the Witwatersrand
University of South Africa

It's not worth a toss if it's not going to make you a viable, happy human being - I know it didn't do so for me.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sandwurm88 wrote:I can't go to a single social event (besides all teenage, drink/drug related) without having some douchebag annoying adult be like "Have you thought about what college you're going to now?"
Get used to it.
Sandwurm88 wrote:I don't know my fucking major, asshole.

Get used to it.
Sandwurm88 wrote:Please stop pretending you care.

Get used to it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I went to the Southern College of Technology but dropped out and joined the army.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'd always recommend taking a few years off, you'll waste them in school anyways, none of the classes you take will contribute to your major other than by fluke unless you're one of the very rare people who stick with what they want to do.

Spend some time living REAL LIFE, move out of your parent's place and make a few big mistakes that if you made later in life might cost you a house/family/etc. Get that shit over with while you have nothing to lose (don't become a drug addict though...).
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I graduated from George Mason University, but attended a long list of VA schools before that. It took me 10 years to get my undergrad. I'd go to school for a semester or two, then drop out to move and work for money or wander the world. I say sew your oats while you are young, and before student loan payments become due. I saw a LOT of the Earth as a teen and young man, and those are my best memories. Hell, I wish I could do it again.

I went to McGeorge School of Law for graduate school.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Omphalos wrote:I'd go to school for a semester or two, then drop out to move and work for money or wander the world. I say sew your oats while you are young, and before student loan payments become due.
You can get a lot out of doing what Omphalos has just described.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Sandwurm88, I never got asked much about what I wanted to do, but as soon as I got into university adults that I rarely even spoke to would continually ask me the same things over and over such as: "Are you settling in?", "Are you eating well enough?" and other annoying varieties. You might want to prepare yourself for that as well, if you decide to go to university.

Oh yeah, I'm currently in my second year at Queen's University Belfast. I study Theoretical Physics.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My advice to you is, start drinking heavily.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

TheDukester wrote:"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
:idea: :?: :!:

Hey... there's a point! Do we have any proof that KJA isn't drunk most of the time?! :lol:

It would, along with native stupid, explain a lot... :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Aquila ka-Hecate

SadisticCynic wrote:.. I study Theoretical Physics.
Hey! So did I!

I then tacked on Astronomy and came out with a double major.

I don't use it, though - I'm a programmer today, a career which I enjoy immensely.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I double-majored, too: beer and women.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:.. I study Theoretical Physics.
Hey! So did I!

I then tacked on Astronomy and came out with a double major.

I don't use it, though - I'm a programmer today, a career which I enjoy immensely.
Cool. :D

Can you explain to me though what you (and everyone else) means by major, and indeed double major?

I do six modules a year, 3 in each semester. I don't really know what it means to major. The only thing I can think of is that I do some physics modules and some applied math modules. By the time I reach third year I'll likely be doing all or almost all applied math. I figure then that this means I've majored in applied math?

As to astronomy, this very year they altered the theoretical physics pathway the result of which is I can do a module in it, which is awesome. :) In the old setup, to do Astronomy I would have had to drop one of Classical Mechanics or Fluid Mechanics & Electromagnetism, both of which I really wanted to do. I love it when things work out. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Aquila ka-Hecate

SadisticCynic wrote:Can you explain to me though what you (and everyone else) means by major, and indeed double major?
Well, at the varsity which deigned to accept me, it meant that I took Physics in a separate class to the rest of the hoi-polloi - biologists, engineers and such - and that my syllabus was structured for someone who would make a career of Physics. In effect, we went from just over 100 students in first year, to six in second year major stream. The highest dropout/failure rate at the institution. :D

Then, like you, I had to carry at least one other subject at major stream level for at least a year - which was Maths, for me, until I switched in my final year (at UNISA) and went back and swept up the major-stream modules in Astro I'd been missing. (And got to work with the fabulous Johannes Wolterbeek-Muller into the bargain).

So basically a major subject is a more highly structured, intensive course of work. Which made all six second-year students (plus one joining us from the Rand Afrikaanse University) feel like tinpot gods, able to look down our collective geeky noses at lowly engineers who were supposed to teach us some laboratory techniques. Gods, we were insufferable. :lol:
(Classical Mechanics, oddly enough, was what got me interested in Physics in the first place - especially ballistics, for some odd reason - that, and my love of amateur astronomy I guess.)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SadisticCynic wrote:Can you explain to me though what you (and everyone else) means by major, and indeed double major?
Well, "rules change in the Reaches", but pretty much what she said. I think. :)

I started out in the College of Engineering majoring in Computer & Information Science. (Actually, at that time at OSU, everybody started out in "University College" and transferred into their respective colleges as soon as they met the entrance requirements.) That meant I followed/had to take courses in a set curriculum established by the college and the CIS Department leading up to a Bachelor of Science degree in CIS. Three quarters each of Physics and Calculus, Introductory Programming, Computer Architecture, etc. (I didn't have to do Chemistry, for example, but some of my friends in different Engineering majors did, etc.)

By my junior (third) year, I'd had enough of the engineers and transferred over into the College of Arts & Sciences and switched to a double major in CIS and Linguistics. A double major essentially means that you've taken the courses required for two degrees, but with overlap coverage of basic required courses & electives, etc. (Basically you avoid the repetition of requirements & electives you would have to take if doing two separate degrees at the same or different institutions. If that makes sense?)

There's also something called a minor, which is like a sub-specialty and means you take more courses in a subject than a regular student would but fewer than someone majoring in it.

At least, that's how it were in my part of the world when I was a youngling... :character-oldtimer:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:
Well, "rules change in the Reaches", but pretty much what she said. I think. :)

There's also something called a minor, which is like a sub-specialty and means you take more courses in a subject than a regular student would but fewer than someone majoring in it.

At least, that's how it were in my part of the world when I was a youngling... :character-oldtimer:

Yeah, what he said. For example my plan was to major in Accounting but minor in Business Administration, but ended my education with two equal degrees (which aren't worth the paper they're printed on)

Basically a major is the field in which you plan to work/study. I have known a lot who start off in one field and wind up changing "majors" by their second year. And depending on how closely the fields are related, the course already taken may not even be transferable for credits toward the new major.

So to those who start off, really think about what you want to do with your life. Don't be in such a rush to grow up and remember althogh youth is the time to make mistakes, some mistakes will follow you the rest of your life so think before you act.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.