Other writers/artists using cryptic hidden meanings/symbols

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

shishi

Other writers/artists using cryptic hidden meanings/symbols

Post by shishi »

I have fascination with both Herbert and Kubrick because they both had very different ideas than traditional writers/directors and were kind of reclusive, Herbert not as much but his philosophies and knowledge were very unique, and he must have extensively researched in all kinds of hard to find places when writing his books, similar to Kubrick. Also their last works incorporate sexual themes, and were not necessary entirely finished, and what they may have intended with these works is mysterious, but they are filled with symbols and clues which they obviously thought hard about.

Eyes Wide Shut is one of the most mysterious films ever made, and for some reason very overlooked. Unfortunately very few people seem to discuss in it literature, what you find in published books is often blurb-ish in nature, and offers shallow interpretations of the plot, or concentrates on the fidelity issue. It is very difficult at times to get anyone to discuss the film seriously elsewhere, as they are either unwavering conspiricy theorists, or only focus on the surface meaning of the plot or the empty erotic nature of the film that disappointed them.

The film is also hard to discuss because it is so visual, but in fact this makes it a good film because film should be about images.
Sexually-themed films are forced by their nature to concentrate on interpreting things visually.

Eyes Wide Shut had the longest shooting schedule of any film ever made, a year and a half, and everyone involved with the filming had to sign very strict agreements of confidentiality, which is typical with Kubrick, but this film seemed to be particularly airtight.

Kubrick is fascinating because by the end of his career he could basically make his film however he wanted, and the studio would release his film. He is a hybrid avant garde/mainstream film director, but I think eventually became a type of pure art house film director, releasing his films through mainstream channels. When he was making Eyes Wide Shut I think there was no pressure on Kubrick to bend to anyone except the pressure to eventually finish it.

As far as conspiracy theories go as to if Kubrick was espousing his secret knowledge of cults, being Masonic or what else, I think their can be two ways of looking at it.

Kubrick did have inner knowledge or was involved with cults, and this film was his attempt to show the public through a mainstream Hollywood movie starring two very popular actors, with the perceived premise of a highly sexual/erotic tour de force, what goes on behind closed doors, or at least show that there are people behind closed doors. He entitles the movie Eyes Wide Shut, a phrase that has a curious resonance to it, and is never actually spoken in the film.

Or, Kubrick when making the film, as he usually does, extensively researches every aspect of it, and finds all types of public knowledge or myths of cults, and incorporates them into the movie. He even subtly hides references though they may not actually be meant to suggest that they are a part of our reality, and also decides to shoot at certain set locations that are related to myths about cults.

The second option appears more likely, but it is also the easiest one to tackle.
What is suspicious, is that almost all of Kubrick's movies, especially from Lolita and later on, are done in a very allegorical manner full of symbols, and are also meant to be open to interpretation to the viewer. This is a very Masonic model of thinking. Also, Kubrick's movies are often shot in very geometrically precise manners.

I really do not know what to believe, but I think why it is so interesting, is because there is so much thought behind the film, and so much meaning to it, even if it is hard to find ways to explain it.
Thus thought
二士皚捌
TheDukester

Re: Other writers/artists using cryptic hidden meanings/symbols

Post by TheDukester »

shishi wrote:... and for some reason very overlooked.
Oh, there's definitely reasons.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

TheDukester wrote:
shishi wrote:... and for some reason very overlooked.
Oh, there's definitely reasons.
Low end Kubrick. To bad it was his last film, he was capable of better. The work the movie was based on isn't all that great either.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

y'all know I read all the crazies' posts that stumble in here;
for me, that's part of the good entertainment ...

I always gots questions:
Where y'all from?

Just what kind of crazy is you?
Have you got one or more blaghs filled with this same type of nonsense and,
if I go there, will I be your first and only visitor ?

If I pinged your IP, would it resolve to a Public Library ?
If it didn't, and I dug around in the back pages of your blagh & headers,
and uncovered enough info to pinpoint your hometown, and logged onto
the local Sheriff's webpage, would you be listed on the Registered Sex Offenders
roster? Does your town have one with photos and maps to your home and work?

At your last med-check, did they up the anti-psychotics and drop
the cortex tranquilizers, or was it the other way around?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you did actually have a valid point somewhere.
Would you know what it was, or would it have been accidental, and gone unnoticed by you
until I pointed it out? (Hello, Brian Conway!)

&etc.

so anyway, I was reading thru this here and got some o' that there deja-vodoo;
the older I get, the more I hate that kinda shit, makes me question my own competency ...

but: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Board index ‹ Dune Discussion ‹ The Bene Tleilax < Gholas to mimic humans, Face Dancers to mimic machines
Latest Wingnut in an earlier post today, copypasta'd into this thread, also of his own making, wrote:I think that Frank Herbert did not necessarily want his books to be looked at one way, and always wanted to have the door open to interpretation.
He seemed to want to find ways to shock his readers, with a new development, or at least try to stimulate their imagination as much as possible with the clues he gives.
The way that things have always worked before, as is assumed, may not be true. Instead, the way things were thought to work may not apply in all circumstances, and a new explanation that is very different is developed that will explain more, but even this explanation could not be entirely accurate.

I have fascination with both Herbert and Kubrick because they both had very different ideas than traditional writers/directors and were kind of reclusive, Herbert not as much but his philosophies and knowledge were very unique, and he must have extensively researched in all kinds of hard to find places when writing his books, similar to Kubrick. Also their last works incorporate sexual themes, and were not necessary entirely finished, and what they may have intended with these works is mysterious, but they are filled with symbols and clues which they obviously thought hard about.

Eyes Wide Shut is one of the most mysterious films ever made, and for some reason very overlooked. Unfortunately very few people seem to discuss in it literature, what you find in published books is often blurb-ish in nature, and offers shallow interpretations of the plot, or concentrates on the fidelity issue. It is very difficult at times to get anyone to discuss the film seriously elsewhere, as they are either unwavering conspiricy theorists, or only focus on the surface meaning of the plot or the empty erotic nature of the film that disappointed them.

The film is also hard to discuss because it is so visual, but in fact this makes it a good film because film should be about images.
Sexually-themed films are forced by their nature to concentrate on interpreting things visually.

Eyes Wide Shut had the longest shooting schedule of any film ever made, a year and a half, and everyone involved with the filming had to sign very strict agreements of confidentiality, which is typical with Kubrick, but this film seemed to be particularly airtight.

Kubrick is fascinating because by the end of his career he could basically make his film however he wanted, and the studio would release his film. He is a hybrid avant garde/mainstream film director, but I think eventually became a type of pure art house film director, releasing his films through mainstream channels. When he was making Eyes Wide Shut I think there was no pressure on Kubrick to bend to anyone except the pressure to eventually finish it.

As far as conspiracy theories go as to if Kubrick was espousing his secret knowledge of cults, being Masonic or what else, I think their can be two ways of looking at it.

Kubrick did have inner knowledge or was involved with cults, and this film was his attempt to show the public through a mainstream Hollywood movie starring two very popular actors, with the perceived premise of a highly sexual/erotic tour de force, what goes on behind closed doors, or at least show that there are people behind closed doors. He entitles the movie Eyes Wide Shut, a phrase that has a curious resonance to it, and is never actually spoken in the film.

Or, Kubrick when making the film, as he usually does, extensively researches every aspect of it, and finds all types of public knowledge or myths of cults, and incorporates them into the movie. He even subtly hides references though they may not actually be meant to suggest that they are a part of our reality, and also decides to shoot at certain set locations that are related to myths about cults.

The second option appears more likely, but it is also the easiest one to tackle.
What is suspicious, is that almost all of Kubrick's movies, especially from Lolita and later on, are done in a very allegorical manner full of symbols, and are also meant to be open to interpretation to the viewer. This is a very Masonic model of thinking. Also, Kubrick's movies are often shot in very geometrically precise manners.

I really do not know what to believe, but I think why it is so interesting, is because there is so much thought behind the film, and so much meaning to it, even if it is hard to find ways to explain it.

I'd like to try and drive This One to InnerWebz Suicide, but I don't think he's reading any of my posts ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

t'was my fault...

You should create your own thread.
But I didn't expect a ctrlCctrlV :lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I would challenge some of the many misconceptions in your post...

"Why do you think Kubrick was in a cult?"

"Are you serious when you say Kubrick was a Masonic filmmaker because his 'movies are often shot in very geometrically precise manners'."

"Describing Kubrick as a 'pure art house' filmmaker is totally inaccurate and misses the point on so many different levels."

"Have you even tried to figure out what Kubrick's actual intentions were, because he has discussed it in print in forms that are not 'blurbish'..."

...but this is all just a load of bullshishi.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."