Hello there, fellow Orthodox-ians!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

Re: Hello there, fellow Orthodox-ians!

Post by trang »

well met and welcome!!! grab a spice beer and join the fun!!

nice intro, backwards, forwards, out of order, the Mcdune is Mcdune and will remain that, just processed crap.

Been away from boards for a bit, life getting in the way, but I let it pass thru me and I am on the other side standing.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hey Trang! Welcome back.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:Just stare into her eyes ...
My God, they're full of stars ... !

No, wait.

Shit.

Sorry about that; she's full of shit is what I meant.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
trang

Post by trang »

Omphalos wrote:Hey Trang! Welcome back.
thanks, I bet becka's head weighs about 35 lbs, from the look of it, wow.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

merkin muffley wrote:Hello. Did you read all of the new books before reading "Dune?" For me, the new books are shit writing, and I would still think they sucked even if they weren't totally inconsistent with the originals. Which sport did you play professionally?
I was a downhill mountain bike racer (with a little cross-country and dual slalom thrown in; a lot of the other events, like short track, weren't popular yet at the time, which was the early to mid 90s). It was a crash injury on a double-diamond mountain trail that caused the series of health problems that resulted in my disabilities.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Again, welcome.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Yes, I read all of the new books before reading the original; I had seen the film countless times, and very much enjoyed the two Syfy miniseries. The first of the books that I read was God Emperor, which is still my favorite. If I ever had the opportunity to participate in the making of a movie, tv show, web series, etc. of any Dune book, it would be GEoD so that I could help pick up where the second miniseries left off, and visualize the amazing elements of that book -- not the least of which being Leto II as a human-sandworm hybrid. That alone would be amazing to behold.

I'm hoping that the big creative sci-fi web series project that I've been planning for countless years will pave the way for technology that would let the series' fans help shape a Dune web series much as I hope that they would help me shape my own series.

I'm sure that when I start explaining the ideas behind my series plot, you'll recognize a couple of elements -- most particularly, the influence of Islamic/Middle Eastern culture, its role in my story (though far lesser than in Dune, it is still very significant and several characters are middle eastern in origin), and my long-standing interest in Zen/Taoism/buddhism. I don't quite posit a Zensunni/Zenshiite culture, exactly, but there are definite undertones that you folks will undoubtedly find hard to miss.

In fact, some of my friends from the middle east were first exposed to the Dune series by me, and share my interest in possibly finding ways to either open up the series to other authors as well as producing some kind of web series. I'm sure that's almost certainly a vain hope, but springs eternal nonetheless. One of those middle eastern friends intends to back my series and hopefully fund any Dune-related projects that we're able to undertake if my own series manages to take off.

Anyhow, all that will have to wait for another time. I've been developing both my series storyline and the concept of a technology that would let the "fans" participate in making the story better, since I was quite young and the ideas have become incredibly detailed. I could go on and on for innumerable pages if allowed, and I had better stop myself now before it gets out of hand ;-)

I'm very glad that today's downtime here on the site proved temporary, and very much look forward to getting to know you all.
aethereon

Post by aethereon »

Am I old enough to contribute a "welcome" here at Jacurutu?

I just wish "welcome" included all three letters : WTF.

1/3 aint bad.

:shock:
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

aethereon wrote:1/3 aint bad.

:shock:
I say that's rather good actually...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

Welcome Shaitan! I've actually been actively looking for a long time for someone who has actually gotten into the original series via McDune... it's very interesting that you say this - I was just talking about this topic over the last few weeks.

So what order did you read them in?

Very interested to hear your take on issues of canon and whatnot... but for now - greetings and salutations!
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

+2 credibility points for naming "God-emperor" as favorite

(number one answer: [/i]Messiah[/i])
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

SandRider wrote:no, no, I've said this several times before - I totally understand;
that's my point, I do it all the time now, too - Ferreting out Trolls
is good entertainment ...
Jousting with them is even better. Until it isn't.
Last edited by Shaitan on 22 Oct 2010 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

grandmastercrafter wrote:Welcome Shaitan! I've actually been actively looking for a long time for someone who has actually gotten into the original series via McDune... it's very interesting that you say this - I was just talking about this topic over the last few weeks.

Very interested to hear your take on issues of canon and whatnot... but for now - greetings and salutations!
The first Dune book I read, after having seen the Lynch movie and both Miniseries (e.g. TV version of Dune, Messiah and Children), was God Emperor.

Next I read the third prequel, The Battle of Corrin, first among the McDune books, because when I have a few bucks in my PayPal account I go trolling the Kindle Store for anything that matches Dune, just like the total sucker I am. Then I read the rest of Canon -- Chapterhouse, Heretics. Then the rest of McDune in order of publication date. Why did I subject myself to this, you might ask, when I was already well aware of the general lameness involved?

I'm a sucker for a scene involving Fremen, spice, and/or worms. Preferably with crysknives unsheathed. Or issues involving the culture of crysknives. Or anyone who's ever seen a crysknife.

I also couldn't resist hearing at least one interpretation, no matter how shitty, of "what it all ended up being about." Even though I believe in my heart that Frank never intended Marty and Daniel to be Erasmus and Omnius.

Then, at last, when I'd exhausted everything else, I read the original Dune and found that it was even more different from the various tv/movie versions than I had expected. The time period where Jessica and Paul were in the desert before encountering the Fremen was much longer, more detailed, and key to the tapestry of the story. I found that to really establish for the first time what it was like to live on Dune, much like the way Jack London described the experience of what it is like to be in Alaska in Call of the Wild. It really puts you in that place more than a book which uses setting only as a backdrop, not as a character unto itself.

Dune's most important character isn't Paul or Leto II or even Shai-Hulud. It's Arrakis itself, IMHO.
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

SandRider wrote:+2 credibility points for naming "God-emperor" as favorite

(number one answer: Messiah)
Eh, I like the opportunity to set off a stone burner as much as the next guy, but you just can't beat a human-sandtrout/sandworm hybrid. If I could have any job, other than writer of the best science fiction series of all time....I think I'd pick Malky's; Shaitan's Best Buddy. :twisted:

I do like me some houris.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Shaitan wrote:I do like me some houris.
Naturally :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Or even unnaturally. :twisted:
lotek

Post by lotek »

welcome twice welcome!

Indeed the shock of reading the one and only Dune after the hacks' drivel must have been mind boggling !

At least the last thing you have in mind is canon, just forget mcdune it has nothing to do whatsoever with Dune or anything Frank Herbert's.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

SandChigger wrote:Or even unnaturally. :twisted:
Even better 8)
lotek wrote:welcome twice welcome!

Indeed the shock of reading the one and only Dune after the hacks' drivel must have been mind boggling !

At least the last thing you have in mind is canon, just forget mcdune it has nothing to do whatsoever with Dune or anything Frank Herbert's.
Indeed. I have to admit though, I will have a hard time avoiding Sorority of Dune. Even if just as yet another example of what I must never do in my own writing....
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Sorority of Dune, the only "Dune" by KJA and BH worth reading... maybe...? :shifty:

Yeah, even I can't convince myself of that. The only redeeming factor would be pillow fights. Lots and lots of pillow fights. (to show appreciation to the Goddess Normacle, of course!)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Tleszer wrote:Sorority of Dune, the only "Dune" by KJA and BH worth reading... maybe...? :shifty:

Yeah, even I can't convince myself of that. The only redeeming factor would be pillow fights. Lots and lots of pillow fights. (to show appreciation to the Goddess Normacle, of course!)
Wet pillow fights, with jello and midgets.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OH GOD YES MIDGETS!!! I CAN'T GET ENOUGH MIDGETS!!! :clap: :dance: :pray: :drool:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Midgets? Did someone say midgets? Alert SR! Bijaz will prolly be in The Sorority Sisters of Dune!

:lol: :crazy: :whistle: :doh:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:think:

Sorority B/Witches of Dune?! :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
bgscholar

Post by bgscholar »

Shaitan wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:Welcome Shaitan! I've actually been actively looking for a long time for someone who has actually gotten into the original series via McDune... it's very interesting that you say this - I was just talking about this topic over the last few weeks.

The first Dune book I read, after having seen the Lynch movie and both Miniseries (e.g. TV version of Dune, Messiah and Children), was God Emperor.

Next I read the third prequel, The Battle of Corrin, first among the McDune books, because when I have a few bucks in my PayPal account I go trolling the Kindle Store for anything that matches Dune, just like the total sucker I am. Then I read the rest of Canon -- Chapterhouse, Heretics. Then the rest of McDune in order of publication date. Why did I subject myself to this, you might ask, when I was already well aware of the general lameness involved?

I'm a sucker for a scene involving Fremen, spice, and/or worms. Preferably with crysknives unsheathed. Or issues involving the culture of crysknives. Or anyone who's ever seen a crysknife.

I also couldn't resist hearing at least one interpretation, no matter how shitty, of "what it all ended up being about." Even though I believe in my heart that Frank never intended Marty and Daniel to be Erasmus and Omnius.

Then, at last, when I'd exhausted everything else, I read the original Dune and found that it was even more different from the various tv/movie versions than I had expected. The time period where Jessica and Paul were in the desert before encountering the Fremen was much longer, more detailed, and key to the tapestry of the story. I found that to really establish for the first time what it was like to live on Dune, much like the way Jack London described the experience of what it is like to be in Alaska in Call of the Wild. It really puts you in that place more than a book which uses setting only as a backdrop, not as a character unto itself.

Dune's most important character isn't Paul or Leto II or even Shai-Hulud. It's Arrakis itself, IMHO.
It's interesting that you like God Emperor so much. The first Dune has always been my favorite, as I feel like the story is the most cohesive and universally-applicable in that book. You enjoy Leto II's ramblings and philosophical musings, though?
"Even Dune's historians were shockingly slow to recognize that the real Dune story is Jessica's."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

bgscholar wrote:You enjoy Leto II's ramblings and philosophical musings, though?
You don't? :)