Hellhole blurb in Winds of Dune PB

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Hunchback Jack

Hellhole blurb in Winds of Dune PB

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I noticed the Tor PB of WoD at my local Safeway supermarket today, and there was this blurb of Hellhole in the back:

"Only the most desperate colonists come to Hellhole, a last-chance rock on the edge of nowhere. But that doesn't mean they've accepted their fate. One man, an exiled general named Keith, is determined to change the fortunes of a planet and alter the course of a corrupt galactic federation of planets.

And so a revolution is born ..."

Sounds fantastic. Release date of March 2011.

(Okay, I added "named Keith", but the rest is verbatim).

Incidentally, I opened WoD to a page at random, and read a paragraph in the middle of the page. There was some battle going on, I guess, and a guy named "Rheinvar" was standing among a group of face dancers, using his "Master Jongleur powers" to render them invisible.

Yeah, okay, not Dune then. I closed the book and put it back on the shelf.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Re: Hellhole blurb in Winds of Dune PB

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Sounds fantastic. Release date of March 2011.
Laugh-worthy how often this POS keeps getting pushed back. I guess "February" was inaccurate? And I'm not holding my breath that it actually will come out in March, either.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Is the planet really named Hellhole, or is that the slang-name?
Hunchback Jack wrote:"Only the most desperate colonists come to Hellhole, a last-chance rock on the edge of nowhere. But that doesn't mean they've accepted their fate. One man, an exiled general named Keith, is determined to change the fortunes of a planet and alter the course of a corrupt galactic federation of planets.
I don't know, but it feels like the "of planets" part of "galactic federation" seems redundant.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Redstar wrote:Is the planet really named Hellhole, or is that the slang-name?
Hunchback Jack wrote:"Only the most desperate colonists come to Hellhole, a last-chance rock on the edge of nowhere. But that doesn't mean they've accepted their fate. One man, an exiled general named Keith, is determined to change the fortunes of a planet and alter the course of a corrupt galactic federation of planets.
I don't know, but it feels like the "of planets" part of "galactic federation" seems redundant.
I guess only planets are eligible for membership in his Galactic Federation. Fucking jerks.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe it's to discourage people from imagining a galactic federation of something like Banksverse orbitals. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Maybe it's to discourage people from imagining a galactic federation of something like Banksverse orbitals. ;)
That suggests that KJA has read Banks. I think we know he's only tried a few pages.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!