New KJA Interview

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sev

New KJA Interview

Post by Sev »

There's a new interview with Keith at fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com - with a chance to leave comments!!! I'm off to work in a minute, so hopefully some of you will have first crack at it. Bloody hell, he talks some crap in this one, but then what did we expect!
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: New KJA Interview

Post by Freakzilla »

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Anderson: One of the best examples, to me, is what Frank Herbert created in Dune with the Fremen and their belief in Shai-Hulud. On the surface, it might seem a typical “primitive people worshiping a giant monster” as you see in so many clichéd fantasies. But the Fremen have an entire accompanying philosophy, that the sandworms aren’t really the god but a manifestation of the power of the desert; they have water rituals (which stem directly from the harsh desert landscape in which they live); they have a culture surrounding their religion: prayers, common sayings, all the details that show how pervasive those beliefs are.
What a fucking idiot.

Jimmy Internet left a comment.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

0 responses so far ↓
There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.
:(
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

this one is a howler
some idiot who puts kewl pew pews everywhere wrote: Have you ever read a lengthy action-packed scene, a fight, a chase, and even though it’s full of Sturm und Drang, you’re not very excited about it? Probably because the action feels like filler, “insert adventure here.”
:lol: :lol:

What a douche!

EDIT
the funniest part is that is he actually did what he says he might be writing decent enough stuff...
but it's all spin spin spin... Keith we have news for you, saying is not doing!!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

same old, same old. old old old.

If someone's left a comment it's been deleted.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I guess it's almost interesting that poor Brian no longer rates;
According to his own website (KJA) wrote: His collaborations with Frank Herbert’s son on a series of Dune novels has brought his career to new heights, landing him time and again on a number of best seller lists
:confusion-waiting:

edit; Awaiting moderation eh?
Last edited by D Pope on 03 Aug 2010 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:Image
Ya think that will get past the moderator? :snooty:
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Ya think that will get past the moderator? :snooty:
We can only wait and see. If they don't they aren't worth shit to read, if they do than I might return and read more. Can't lose really.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Some hack wrote:But because it is someone else’s playground, and because the rules are already established, I don’t have the same amount of creative freedom I would have in my own original creation. Sometimes, a story decision that seems obvious and necessary to me is not possible to include because the licensor has other priorities (an action figure design contradicts it, for example).
If only Frank Herbert had made some action figures. :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

What I posted wasn't even Blaze of Glory worthy but it must've been deleted right after I posted it. I just made some comment about asking kja about why so many fans don't like him once he starts writing in another artist's universe.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Some hack wrote:But because it is someone else’s playground, and because the rules are already established, I don’t have the same amount of creative freedom I would have in my own original creation. Sometimes, a story decision that seems obvious and necessary to me is not possible to include because the licensor has other priorities (an action figure design contradicts it, for example).
If only Frank Herbert had made some action figures. :(
Um...

http://www.arrakis.co.uk/action.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
lotek

Post by lotek »

How much are you prepared to bet tehjacket warned them about the haters stalking him for no reason but jealousy and bitterness all over da interwebz?

My comment was bland enough but maybe I shouldn't have put http://www.jacurutu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a website lol

And considering the brown nosing going on and following the usual pattern I doubt anything else than mindless adoration of the number one bestestsellerever(in the world and the universe) will be accepted.
lotek

Post by lotek »

this is more interesting!
Dune by Frank Herbert

In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.

It’s interesting that this short, 32-word paragraph, like Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell’s 36, introduce a huge, sweeping epic. It might be fair to say that this is a credit to the finely considered core themes that both Herbert and Clarke preserved at the centers of their masterpieces.

Dune’s first paragraph assigns special significance to one particular place (Arrakis), and one particular person (Paul). Though two other people are mentioned (the old crone, and Paul’s mother), the fact that they are not yet given names, shifts the emphasis to Paul. It may seem as though this is a simple, quickie set-up, but a look just under the surface reveals that these 32 words are a statement of purpose. Dune is a book about a young man challenged by the old order. The boy Paul grows up to be the man Muad’dib and challenges every assumption of the older people and even older customs and institutions around him. That’s the emotional core of a story that plays out as a pastiche on the dangers of a single-resource economy.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandChigger // August 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I wish you had asked Anderson about that “Chisra Sala Muad’Dib” fake Fremen/Arabic nonsense in The Winds of Dune. He didn’t seem to have any problem with the “clumsiness” of that bogus insertion.

(I have no doubt that you’ll simply delete this, so I’ll warn you ahead of time that I’ll be posting about this on my own blog. You’re welcome to come by and comment: I only censor the complete droolers. Tah!)

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

I pretty much just stated that he should have asked how KJA thought the following translated to robots:
"They had a Tleilaxu Master, too," Marty said. "I saw him when they went under the net. I would have so liked to study another Master."
"Don't see why. Always whistling[11] at us, always making it necessary to stomp them down. I don't like treating Masters that way and you know it! If it weren't for them . . ."
"They're not gods, Daniel."
"Neither are we."
"I still think you let them escape."
"What would you have said to the Master, anyway?" Daniel asked.
"I was going to joke when he asked who we were. They always ask that. I was going to say: 'What did you expect, God Himself with a flowing beard?' "
Daniel chuckled. "That would've been funny. They have such a hard time accepting that Face Dancers can be independent of them."
"I don't see why. It's a natural consequence. They gave us the power to absorb the memories and experiences of other people. Gather enough of those and . . ."
"It's personas we take, Marty."
"Whatever. The Masters should've known we would gather enough of them one day to make our own decisions about our own future."
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

PhilAthans on Twitter: If you think you're going to use my blog to bad mouth my friends, you gots another think comin. Comments are friendly or rejected.
about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck
Isn't he brave, declaring himself a FoK in public! :lol:

This is the guy who's put out The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!; KJA was flogging it a while back, if I recall correctly.

Still no comments allowed through on the blog post. ;)
Bio Former Senior Managing Editor for novels at Wizards of the Coast, New York Times best-selling fantasy author, and general SF/fantasy man-about-town.
What's your opinion of this guy, Omph?
Last edited by SandChigger on 03 Aug 2010 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

fantastic ! Spanky McDune's new best twitter-friend ...

and wait....what ?
TheKeith wrote: But because it is someone else’s playground, and because the rules are already established, I don’t have the same amount of creative freedom I would have in my own original creation. Sometimes, a story decision that seems obvious and necessary to me is not possible ...
so ... is he like ... bitching about having to write Dune fanfiction for a dollar ?

fuck, I see whole set of spinning lies acomin' ...

human reader : Why did you turn Marty & Daniel into robots ?
TheKeith: hey, it wasn't my idea, it was in the notes, or the outline, or a vision Brian had from his mom,
if it had been up to me, I would have done things differently
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote:
TheKeith wrote: But because it is someone else’s playground, and because the rules are already established, I don’t have the same amount of creative freedom I would have in my own original creation. Sometimes, a story decision that seems obvious and necessary to me is not possible ...
so ... is he like ... bitching about having to write Dune fanfiction for a dollar ?

fuck, I see whole set of spinning lies acomin' ...

human reader : Why did you turn Marty & Daniel into robots ?
TheKeith: hey, it wasn't my idea, it was in the notes, or the outline, or a vision Brian had from his mom,
if it had been up to me, I would have done things differently
:roll:
I just pulled a muscle rolling my eyes. What an asshole. If only they would fully unleash Kevin J. Anderson, all of the characters could be transformer-type robots, and it would all be so much easier to understand.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

numbnuts wrote:Sometimes, a story decision that seems obvious and necessary to me is not possible ...
I almost whispered thanks, then I realized its just another lie.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sev

Post by Sev »

Damn, sorry everyone, didn't know the guy was a best bud of Keith's and wouldn't publish anything we wrote - bastard.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
lotek

Post by lotek »

fuck it it was funny!

And I don't think Keith would go for an interview that was not given(choice of word intentional)by one of his fanfuckboys anyway...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah. And since most of his "interviews" seem to be conducted by email anyway (otherwise, they'd probably be podcasts, no?), if he got someone he wasn't friends with trying to hardball him, he'd probably just refuse to respond and we'd never hear about it (unless the interviewer made a fuss about him wimping out).

I just wish a REAL interviewer with a pair of balls would go after the Dune-fucker. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Think he'd respond to an email interview from me@here? :wink:
~Pink Snowman