Reverence for the Written Word

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Reverence for the Written Word

Post by Eyes High »

Like most people have already said; it depends on the book and ownership. I have underlined passages that I really liked. Sometimes it kind of neat to get a used book and see what the previous owner had written or underlined in it. Then on the other hand, it can be a bit irritating to see the destruction done to a book.

Common sense is the main key and what your plans are for the future of the book. I would try to teach kids to treat a book with respect. Read it, enjoy it, and even write in it if it is done respectfully.

:techie-studyingbrown:

oh, and as far as paperbacks, unless it's one of the oversized paperback, I've started using something called a hardbacker to protect the book while I'm reading it. Just slip the covers into it and adjust for thickness and one has a paperback book with a hard cover. When I'm done with the book, just remove the hardbacker and insert the next book. Found them at one of our local used book store and I love them. Cost was around $6 (if I remember correctly) but it has turned out to be worth it.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

No bending, folding, creasing, writing or highlighting at all. I spent money on my books and I figure they should be treated with respect.

Except for the KJA books that I admittedly/shamefully own. I bought the prequels and Hunters and then realized after the Butlerian Jihad that they were total crap.

Anytime I'm looking for something to throw they come in really handy, but other than that they collect dust. They aren't even on my bookshelf. I am of the firm belief that they're probably still where they landed after the last time they were thrown. I'd have to look. But I'm not going to.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

A hardbacker, i'm going to look for that. Thanks!

You know Smug, it's funny how the normal rules don't apply to McDune. The money I paid for the books keeps me from burning them but i'm ashamed to display them.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

funny enough my kja books (yeah I must have confessed to buying them already) are the ones in better shape, first because they're the first new books I bought in a while(one more reason to hate the dicks who wrote them), and second because I only read them once before putting them back on my shelf.

To me a worn out book is one I love to read, that I carry around and that gets food spilled on it...
But I don't anote, I really disapprove of writing anything else than your name and date of purchase in a book, you can write stuff down in a note book :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:To me a worn out book is one I love to read, that I carry around and that gets food spilled on it...
But I don't anote, I really disapprove of writing anything else than your name and date of purchase in a book, you can write stuff down in a note book :)
I got chocolate in a book once years and years ago - I think it scarred me and made me a bit OCD about food and books. Definite no-no. :shock:

Note-wise, I don't make notes in books, if there's something I want to "note" or locate later, I put a bookmark in. I use train tickets as bookmarks, so I always have spares.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

D Pope wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Almost all my books are second hand - a lot of them from the 60s-70s or before, and, being British most of them are bound pretty shodily, so I don't fold them back on themselves because the chances are the pages would fall out.

Also, because they are second-hand and usually older than I am, there's a sense that I'm not the first person to read them and that I'll probably not be the last. For me that's a strong incentive not the fuck them up. :)
Less than ten percent of my books are "new" Odd thing is the older books are in much better shape. In fact, i've little doubt my older paperbacks are better quality than most newer hardcovers. Hell, going from a new book to an older one, I had to keep checking to see if I wasn't turning two pages at once- there's that much difference in paper thickness!
Omph is really the guy to ask, but a lot of British books are really shittily bound. I think they just glued them and the glue degrades over time. The older-older ones are ok though, I'm reading an early 1940s one atm and that's really well bound.

(Old books are great - I love the way you can see the impressions of the letters from the other side of the page. :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

I fold corners to mark the page...
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I used to be really compulsive about caring for new books and magazines to the extent I wouldn't read anything for years until after I'd bought them and was "ready" (same thing with movies... have DVDs still in the plastic wrap five years later :crazy:) and I'd read them by spreading the pages half an inch and "peeking" inside. Folding the book over and breaking the spine are real peeves of mine.

But, you know, shit happens and you can't trust other people to be as careful as you are. You lend a book and it comes back dog-eared, spine-broken, and noted into. Now I just see it as a way that you've shown your love for the book... Reading it again and again, and every time you can see the evidence of your previous go-throughs. I'd still rather keep care of books, but if something happens I more easily excuse it.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Redstar wrote:But, you know, shit happens and you can't trust other people to be as careful as you are. You lend a book and it comes back dog-eared, spine-broken, and noted into.
Simply report the incident to Nekhrune, he knows what to do. :violence-blades:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

SandChigger wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:you get punched in the neck with my foot
Wouldn't that, technically, be a kick rather than a punch? :?
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No, actually, in this case, it was in the neck. :P
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It was a foot punch.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sounds like a party beverage... :P
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

You guys are such nuts.

Maybe that's why I love you. You're crazy like the rest of my family. :clap: :lol: :romance-grouphug:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
grandmastercrafter

I was taught to treat books as evidence of god on earth. No defacement of any kind. Never put a book on the ground. Never touch a book with your foot. There were other rules, some that instilled respect and some that, at a later date, incredulity. Then I read the Mission Earth books from L Ron...

Things changed.

I've only written in books if I really really really like them, but not if I just really really like them, or less. Oddly, I've only damaged, destroyed or burned ~15 books in my life... :lol:
THINK CRITICALLY
grandmastercrafter

Freakzilla wrote:It was a foot punch.
:lol:
THINK CRITICALLY
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Interestingly enough, my punches have the power of kicks.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Nekhrun wrote:
Kick-puncher!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Kick-puncher!

Hand kick
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:Interestingly enough, my punches have the power of kicks.
:roll: Yes, yes, we know, we've heard, you've got "biceps the size of most men's thighs," you "owe it all to the Dew," blah blah blah... :hand:

:lol:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

We need a Mt. Dew smiley. That shit's like my spinach!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

We could ask Teg... but anything he turned up would probably also involve a sex act banned in Muslim countries. :?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:We could ask Teg... but anything he turned up would probably also involve a sex act banned in Muslim countries. :?

Why people get upset over a monkey fucking a football but not some male screwing a camel is beyond me.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Monkeys are cute.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Nekhrun wrote:We need a Mt. Dew smiley. That shit's like my spinach!

and