Greetings.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

aethereon

Greetings.

Post by aethereon »

I recently joined the forum at DN (aeon). A lot has changed. Now, I've joined Jacurutu as a means of staving off unnecessary reprieve against an honest opinion. I've been what the crazy kids these days call a "lurker" on DN for quite a time... that is, before the dark times following the release of Sandworms.

Please forgive my longwindedness, but I'd like to vent here and now in this first post as a means of skirting personality and whatnot in what I hope will be a long string of quality dialogue with good fellows.

I read Frank Herbert's Dune (series) through and through and through. I love Dune, as a humble person who simply respects the effort, the quality, and the dedication involved in creating such a marvelous story. I appreciate Dune, as a self-sustaining work of art. Naturally, I was excited when Frank Herbert's son was to unfurl the tapestry of Dune.

I bought / read House Atreides, House Harkonnen (more entertaining, at least), and muddled through House Corrino. I bought the "Legends" series, I have allowed it to occupy scant shelf space, but I have refused to crack the cover of any of them. I couldn't wait for Dune "7." I bought them (them?). What happened?

When Hunters was released, I followed several threads on the DN forums, without ever bothering to remark. It seemed that those before me had already more than explicitly shared my sentiments. I read Sandworms. I found that others had perfectly expressed my own concerns. I stopped "lurking" the forums at DN.

A year or so ago, I bought the audiobook of "Paul of Dune." I moved on afterwards. Last week, I couldn't help myself - I bought the audiobook of "Winds of Dune." I must admit that "Winds" did enough to provoke my discomfort, and that it also entertained me in the 15 or so minutes of actually GETTING TO THE POINT (apologies). I decided immediately: "Hey, it's money well spent for bringing this trainwreck to completion, I'm going to audio the Legends series too."

I'm roughly halfway through "The Butlerian Jihad." Now I'm registered at DN and Jacurutu.

Not only have I been disappointed for years at hackneyed so called resolutions to the so-called "Dune Chronicles," I am now unapologetically offended in retrospect to this bullshit.

Dune wasn't simply "unfurled," to quote myself previously - it was stretched and unwoven. They have managed to dethread, rewrite, and recreate an idol of unrighteous abomination.

I resonate with Paul more than ever in his effort to return from the void unscathed.

Have I missed something?

** a final note, my favorite character of FH's Dune was Miles Teg. I let it go initially when they tampered with him, I rescind.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Greetings.

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home! You have found the one place for the true Dune fan.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

welcome twice welcome to Shuloch!

Don't worry about long posts as long as you keep that use of paragraphs that so many longwinded posters forget.

Someone should be coming round to claim your water, make yourself at ease, and get ready for some deep Dune thinking intertwined with a lot of sidetracking!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Welcome!
Dunenovels sucks.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Hi.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hello.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

oh yeah, I think you'll fit in here just fine.

keep your shots up to date and don't feed the members. Some of them like to bite.

But have no fear, most are harmless, or was that they are mostly harmless.

Oh well, either way you're figure it out.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome Home :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Hola!

Rob
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

aethereon wrote:Dune wasn't simply "unfurled," to quote myself previously - it was stretched and unwoven. They have managed to dethread, rewrite, and recreate an idol of unrighteous abomination.
dethread = 15 points
Well, you have a very high threshold for ridiculousness, if you went and bought the audiobooks and all too... :clap: respect (not for buying the books and reading them, but for maintaining your sanity. nice!) - greetings and salutations! :handgestures-salute:
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
aethereon

Post by aethereon »

thanks for the warm welcome.

I just finished the Machine Crusade and have been at a loss for words the entire time.

I have plenty to say now, though a single word will suffice at the moment: Ffff,fffFFFFFF frustration...
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

aethereon wrote:thanks for the warm welcome.

I just finished the Machine Crusade and have been at a loss for words the entire time.

I have plenty to say now, though a single word will suffice at the moment: Ffff,fffFFFFFF frustration...
When the frustration has run its course the anger will follow.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yes, the stages. "Disbelief" ... "anger" ... "sorrow" ... and on and on.

My personal favorite is "relentless mocking." And it seems to have lasted the longest, too. 8)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

well the length of the relentless mocking phase is proportional to the level of the previous stages :)

Mine lasted about almost a year(it's not completely over)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I guess that makes me an enabler. :(
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

after the Cosentiency the Codependency ;)
aethereon

Post by aethereon »

Completed The Battle of Corrin last night. I'm somewhat up to speed now (in general hate terms).

The order(s) in which I have read, enjoyed, assimillated, learned, been saturated and soiled are:
First read Dune (FH-6) a long while ago... started appreciating the world around me as much as the fiction itself. I read the "house" series when I was in my early twenties. Read Dune FH-6 again, reread GEoD and Heretics several times, CH once more. Bought and ignored "legends" during this period. Read "Hunters." Read "Road." Read "Sandworms." Listened to "Paul." Listened to "Winds." Listened to "Legends" series to completion finally.

I have decided to listen to all of the novels in chron order since I'm fresh out of "legends." We have a great local bookstore here that sells 'em new and old and even peddles audio. I managed to score used but pristine audio copies of the rest of the Dune series (orthodox and pagan). I previously downloaded Paul, Winds, and Legends - but I've got some rippin' to do with this new lode.

I'm not up to speed with Dune related current events (not that it matters at all), but I do want to have ALL of the NOVELS (orthodox and pagan) fresh in my mind if I have the slightest chance of keeping up with you guys, and audio is simply easier for me right now.

I managed to "borrow" some PDFs from a friend the other day in light of Nekhrun's KJA-ification game: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2419. Some of the hits I ran into specifically with the "house" series solidified the chron job for me.

I could care less about KJA, honestly. Its what has been / is being done to Dune that I must admit that I find distasteful. Building an embryonic shell around the classic and systematically deconstructing it from within to write shitty and pointless books is something that leaves me personally offended - for myself, my peers, and Frank Herbert himself.

I don't know where else to put these 2 cents, but since its all about me and my thoughts - why take up space elsewhere?

And why do you call the hack "Keith?"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

aethereon wrote:And why do you call the hack "Keith?"
Some preeq a few years ago (I think it was Martian Bob?) was trying to defend him on Amazon.com forums and kept calling him Keith. It just proves how stupid these fans are when they can't even spell the name of their hero correctly.

Next you're going to want to know why we call bob "Martian Bob".
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
aethereon

Post by aethereon »

Actually, I'd like to confirm that a "preeq" is a prequel fan (and retroactively, a KJA Dune fan).

Come back?

*edit* yes, share "martian bob" too. plz.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Bab is amazing.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here ya go mate! :)
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos