weirding sting plugs?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:weirding sting plugs?
Weirding sting pug plugs
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
Weirding sting pug plugs
weirding sting pug cat plugs
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Weirding sting pug plugs
weirding sting pug cat plugs
Stinging Weirdplugs (Graduated Starter Kit)
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Nekhrun wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
twistedmentat wrote:found locked in his basement with a case of mountain dew
That's really sad. People just don't realize, we're losing a whole generation to that nasty sick-pee-colored elixir of death. (It's a tragic but open secret on this forum that one of our leading members is a... "Dewhead." We've organized several interventions, but he's managed to elude us every time so far. One day, gods willing.... :cry: )
I'd better go stand over here now...

Your beard makes my beard sad. :(
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

What, that little thing? That's my trimmed up fancy look for job interviews and shit like that.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

Not a length issue, I've got you well beat there, but as is common with redheads mine is very thin on the sides. It's really only thick around my chin. It's not so bad because I do a tapered beard with the sides shorter anyways, but it still makes me sad.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

SadisticCynic wrote:In terms of the movie Bombadil was left out because it didn't move the story along, according to Jackson. (Which makes sense).
Just as the Scouring of the Shire was left out because it created an anticlimax. I have to admit, when I got to that part of the Return of the King, I was like, "Really, Tolkien?"
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Personally, I didn't mind the Scouring of the Shire. Brings home the point that when you save the world, the world then no longer needs you. You're right, it is a bit of an anti-climax though.

I still don't get Bombadil though. He's not mentioned anywhere else LOTR or The Silmarillion, so there isn't even an explanation of what he is e.g. one of the Maiar.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Tom B was the first absolutely obvious thing to cut out of the movie, though I will say that they made a lot of changes that didn't make sense to me (sure they had their reasons because they knew they were going to get slammed for every little change).

The ending with the Shire was a good cut too, but it serves an important (very important) purpose in the book - I just didn't understand it until I was older.

One thing that they did really masterfully as far as changes go in LoTR was the whole Rohan sequence through to Helms Deep - regarding the banished army (not including the elves thing). I watched the movie and thought it was all pretty faithful because it worked so well, then read the book and was stunned by how utterly changed it was.

I didn't love what they did with the battle at Minas Tirath though (sending the elves to Helms Deep instead).
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:It's not so bad because I do a tapered beard with the sides shorter...
Ahhh, the Wizard look. Not bad.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Tom Bombadil absolutely sucked ass. I hated that section of the book.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I disagree ... Tom was the first Middle-earth character ... w/o going to the shelves and digging out
the books, I believe he's first mentioned in Smith of Wooten Major, which isn't actually
"Middle-earth", but Tolkien's first "fairie" story ... also, the poem "the Last Ship", probably my
favorite piece of Tolkien - hell, I think Tom's in that .... been a long damn time since I looked
at that, altho it used to be a Christmas Reading when the boys were little ...

so while Tom's part in the Lord of the Rings may seem out-of-place or "unnecessary", it made sense
and was important to Tolkien ... all of his Middle-earth writings could have centered around Tom,
had he not become obsessed with the Hobbits about 1932 or so ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
twistedmentat

Post by twistedmentat »

SandChigger wrote:
twistedmentat wrote:fecal -esque
:clap: Word-coinage award candidate! :lol:

I don't even care if i win, its an honor just to be nominated!!! :D
"Where the fuck was Tom Bombadil???"

As far as Tom Bombadil is concerned i understand why it was cut from the movie, but i wanted a little more information about him considering how bad ass he was supposed to be. I mean he takes the ring, puts it on, doesn't turn invisible, does a little slight of hand trick w/ the ring, then casually tosses it back to Frodo, thus showing how insignificant the ring is and how it holds no power over him. Plus in the council of Elrond I believe it is suggested that maybe Tom could keep the ring then Gandalf says that it so unimportant to him that he might missplace it.

Now what i gather from that is that Tom also has a wallet that says Bad Ass MuthaFucker and i'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the following equation Tom Bombadil > a White Wizard. Any other thoughts?
Hey, we should try to decide what the Dune equivalent of Bombadil is! Something that shouldn't be included in the movie under any circumstance! :D

I think this is an excellent topic. I think what chigger means is ( correct me if i'm wrong); what from the novel; not previous movies, is the Tom Bombadil equiv? Meaning is their any part of the book that could be left out and not hurt the overall story. Subtopic a: do any of you feel that their was any part of Dune that might be considered superfluous? Touchy subject to be sure, i'd love to here some input especially from some of the higher level Dune scholars we have.

Oh and Nekrun your beard is quite impressive, coming from a man that, at best can grow a patchy, sad, teenage-like pseudo beard. I mean my chest looks like the floor of a barber shop, why cant i grow a decent beard??? I bet if i grafted some skin from my back onto my face i could grow a beard of Zack Galifihgckkxxgigstigxdgsxiuis proportions.

ps i'm still in the beginning stages of learning the art of quote button manipulation so please bare w/ me
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

twistedmentat wrote:Subtopic a: do any of you feel that their was any part of Dune that might be considered superfluous? Touchy subject to be sure, i'd love to here some input especially from some of the higher level Dune scholars we have.
Heretics and Chaperhouse are superfluous. “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife--chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's compete because it's ended here.'”
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

+1
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

< or = 4

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

*deep breath*.... Okay, If I had to pick a "Tom Bombadil of Dune" (incidentally, the title of the next book,) It would have to be Thufir Hawat. Put down the torches and pitchforks and hear me out. If you want to make a truncated, 2-2.5 hour version of Dune for the movie screen, you'd HAVE to leave out certain things. Lynch did it, the Miniseries did it. Things like the "Jessica as traitor" subplot that builds a lot but really only has the payoff of "Dad should have married you," and Gurney spazzing at the end, which even Herbert defused very quickly. ("It wasn't me, it was Yueh, okay, now play me a song.") That was Thufir's real shining contribution to the book. As a teacher to Paul, anything that Thufir did could easily be passed off to Gurney or Yueh, or even Jessica. The Harkonnen "recruitment" of Thufir takes quite a bit to explain, and really doesn't go anywhere, except for very subtle sabotage on Giedi Prime (beating the slavemaster at Cheops, the Gladiator on Feyd's birthday, etc.) again, all of which could be cut to fit the time requirements. Same with his death at the end. Even the miniseries just had him killed in the Harkonnen attack. The concept of mentats would easily be explained by Piter's inclusion, So, if I had to cut a major character, sorry Thufir, you're out.

Let me say that this decision was pretty painful. I love Thufir, as a character. I love the idea of a mentat who's an old man, but also a skilled and active assassin and interrogator. His big scene with Jessica is a classic, the way she just verbally bitchslaps him and completely freaks his ass out. But if I needed to pick, Thufir's my choice to go. If he stays in, how about Lance Henriksen?

Tom Bombadil of Dune #2 and 3: Again, very painful decisions, but the Fenrings could go. They're great characters, are wonderfully creepy (I'd always pictured them like Gomez and Morticia Addams from the movies,) but they don't really advance the main thrust of the plot. (see Lynch's movie for a streamlined version of a singular straight-line plot for Dune.) I'd rather see them, plotting and being all weaselly, but again, if I gotta cut...

Discuss.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Duncan Idaho
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Paul.

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Frank.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

Freak, I'd agree that they could cut Duncan out of Dune, but if they ever want to make sequels, it might be tough to explain that one. Plus, Duncan's only IN Dune for a few short scenes, and then he's dead.

SadisticCynic, if KJA and Brian are the executive producers (which you KNOW they will be,) you can be sure that they'll leave Frank out of the movie.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Freakzilla wrote:Duncan Idaho
Only if you never intend to make a sequel.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Thufir Hawat probably doesn't work in a two to two and a half hour movie, and Fenring doesn't fit either, and these are all good reasons why I can't imagine a satisfying feature film of Dune. It would be great if HBO made a miniseries out of Dune, and I can't imagine that ever happening either.

If you can't fit Duncan Idaho, don't even try to make the movie. His character is great for a film, even if you might be able to get away with telling the basic story of Paul without him.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."