I seek refuge from ridiculousness

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: I seek refuge from ridiculousness

Post by TheDukester »

merkin muffley wrote:I, personally, can't think of any circumstances under which I would seek out a KJA fan to reform them ...
Same here.

I gave up on all of the "holy war" crap years ago. I don't care which OS anyone uses. I don't care what anyone drives. I don't care who anyone's favorite sports teams are. None of that will stop me from mocking people, of course, but I won't waste anyone's time trying to convert them.

And, as many others have said, if someone is too stupid to see that there are important fundamental differences between Dune canon and Spanky's McDune, then I certainly don't have the time for them. You can't fix stupid. Mocking it will just have to suffice.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

lotek wrote: I don't think the preeqs are a majority, it seems sales are dwindling for the mcdunes, they caught some of us unaware like me with the House series, but now the preeqs are more and more plain idiots that could not understand Dune however much they tried...
From what little I can glean, it seems that most people I ask RE Dune knows about FH Dune (1st book, or movie), and then almost exclusively the new stuff... how are preeqs defined? Does anyone have any estimates on actual numbers of preeqs and OH'ers who come out and proclaim themselves? I think also that while some idiots are immutable, most can be changed, if they are given direction by a more competent authority... imho - glass half full?
lotek wrote: Which is the reason why the trupreeq gets so angry when the utter idiocy of its heroes is methodically pointed out, because it just highlights its own inadequacies and failure to comprehend.
totally agree :lol:
lotek wrote: We're talking proper idiots, and we've had a few examples here(and more generally in life, the idiots are the ones to win over if you want power and/or fame, they are numerous and easy to please).
hehehe - yea, the idiots are there, but as you said they are numerous and easy to please (although thank goodness for the dwindling sales! bodes well for Dune).

At present it seems to me that alot of sheeple are led to believe that KJA/BH are legitimately trying to write new Dune books in good faith, since the Herbert family has given this idea legitimacy. Most sheeple think that any confusion on their part may be due to their lack of a deeper understanding that KJA/BH have about the Dune universe. No matter that that is a total crock, this is what I thought myself when I started reading the new stuff - thinking that maybe I was missing something, and was not quite the avid Dune fan I thought I was. After thinking about it critically, however, fact-checking and re-reading again and again, I realized that my opinion was actually correct, and the new 'official' books were bunk, for money (or out of stupidity - I don't actually think either KJA/BH are stupid per se, but believe it is part of a plan to exclusively maximize profits, and create their own legacy using FH's coattails, which is stupid on another level). That realization pissed me off. I was actually shaking at the time, and I remember trying to explain my anger to friends, family and co-workers - who politely listened and smiled vacuously in response, to my irritiation. It was a horrible feeling, when I realized what was happening to Dune, and would continue to happen (as it has), and it really affected me deeply.
lotek wrote: Someone who can be easily be convinced the mcdunes are shit is not a preeq, just someone who would have come to the realization sooner or later.
I mean these books are shit and only an idiot or the idiot who wrote it wouldn't admit it. :)
Easily convincing someone? Easy doesn't enter into the calculation, unfortunately. I believe some preeqs are not too far gone down that road. Some have spent all that money on all those books and won't admit they were wrong cause it'll make em look dumb to others, and some just don't know what we mean by great literature (lack of education), and some just need leadership, and actually agree with our points but are turned off by our rhetoric (because we're pissed) - there are a plethora of other reasons too... These facts, coupled with the fact that KJA/BH will have the legal rights to warp things for some decades to come, will lead to large numbers of new readers (many potential idiots) falling first for the crap, then some of them climbing out and rinsing off once there's another viable direction to go... I believe that's where groups like Jacurutu come in - just by existing it provides that leadership. :clap:

Ex: You guys led me in from the cold just by being actively here, leading by example. There are others out there, still wandering - some in the KJA camp, all ignorant of what that means. Many idiots won't admit error,true, but it's hard to tell idiocy from defensive ignorance... imho

and yea - while you can't fix stupid, you can try to mitigate the damage - although I see this community as already doing that. :D - in fact - I've seen you participating in the Amazon review issue, Duke - no? (some of your comments were sweeeeet) You're actively helping to mitigate the damage... any effort at all helps, and quite a few members here have really done more than their share for the effort. :clap:
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

grandmastercrafter wrote:... how are preeqs defined?
Preek [also, preeq]

Noun; informal.

"A stupid person."

DERIVATIVES

preekesque | adjective
preekishly | adverb

ORIGIN

Early 20th cent. (as a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
grandmastercrafter

merkin muffley wrote:...unless she was the runner=up at the fireman's carnival the day after the pageant, at a very low ebb and in a teachable moment, and I would teach her to speak properly and stop reading Paul of Dune, and to pull up her pants in public.
Now that's an ideal senario :lol: she is smokin...!

...and I totally get it - I have abandoned the 'holy war' mentality for most things in life, since the result is usually wasted time and/or heartache, concentrating only on those things that I feel truly deserve it. I've come to terms with my desires, with regards to Dune, to try to eliminate or simply reduce the amount of crap promulgated by KJA/BH... and now that the new books are out there, my personal options are limited. Personal interactions with preeqs seems to be the best/last option available to minimize the damage... I never expect anyone else to follow me, or even listen, but I'm eager to take the time on my own to try to encourage in preeqs critical thinking and appreciation for the complexity, the intricacy, the deep down beauty of Frank Herbert's work... (as long as my wife lets me :doh: )

I just wish schools would do their job and teach a greater appreciation for world-class literature from the get-go, so I wouldn't have to be bothered. :violin:
THINK CRITICALLY
lotek

Post by lotek »

TheDukester wrote:
Preek [also, preeq]

Noun; informal.

"A stupid person."

DERIVATIVES

preekesque | adjective
preekishly | adverb

ORIGIN

Early 20th cent. (as a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12).
:lol: :lol:

I would add a preeq is someone who puts mcdune and Dune on the same level, when it is plain obvious kjab "toddle where [Frank] stride"
Spice is the worm's gonads.
grandmastercrafter

TheDukester wrote:
Preek [also, preeq]

Noun; informal.

"A stupid person."

DERIVATIVES

preekesque | adjective
preekishly | adverb

ORIGIN

hehehe :lol:

...and from the Urban Dictionary:

1. preek

A verb denoting the act of beginning to precum.

Man, she totally left me with blue balls.
But did you preek?

Boy, this honey was so fine, I was preeking the second she walked her fine ass through that door.

2. preek

A mixture of a freak and a prick.

When angry at someone you can say, "Your such a preek!"

=============================================================
I always thought it meant "someone who digs the prequels"... no?
THINK CRITICALLY
lotek

Post by lotek »

grandmastercrafter wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Preek [also, preeq]

Noun; informal.

"A stupid person."

DERIVATIVES

preekesque | adjective
preekishly | adverb

ORIGIN

hehehe :lol:

...and from the Urban Dictionary:

1. preek

A verb denoting the act of beginning to precum.

Man, she totally left me with blue balls.
But did you preek?

Boy, this honey was so fine, I was preeking the second she walked her fine ass through that door.

2. preek

A mixture of a freak and a prick.

When angry at someone you can say, "Your such a preek!"

=============================================================
I always thought it meant "someone who digs the prequels"... no?
to an unhealthy extent(some have been known to lose blood from their intestines and subsequent death followed... wether that is linked to the nudune or not remains to be legally established but it is one hell of a coincidence)

Oh and I'd advise against linking the f word with the p word on this board ;) ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

grandmastercrafter wrote:I always thought it meant "someone who digs the prequels"... no?
It does. I copy-pasta'd the definition for "moron" in my earlier post.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

grandmastercrafter wrote:...a sequel to a work like "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" ... like: Huck's long-lost hermaphrodite twin who had been lost in an expedition to the arctic, but thawed out successfully in the year 2030, and given practical bionics and a cerebral implant that allows limited time travel to the age of Huck Finn again, to replay everything from the muzzle of an assault rifle - while cutting a romantic and psycho-sexual swath through men and women alike... written by a (great? great great?) grandson of Samuel Clemens and some pulp-fiction writer, for profit. "The Adventures of Jackleberry Finn: The Reckoning" ...
GOD GAWD, MAN! Don't post shit like that in public!!! TheKJA will see it and run with it! :shock:

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:laughing:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:
Preek [also, preeq]

Noun; informal.

"A stupid person."

DERIVATIVES

preekesque | adjective
preekishly | adverb

ORIGIN

Also Synonyms: Asshat Pickle Fuckers and Nacnud Baggers
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
grandmastercrafter

TheDukester wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:I always thought it meant "someone who digs the prequels"... no?
It does. I copy-pasta'd the definition for "moron" in my earlier post.
:lol: - hey and what's the latest regarding those Amazon reviews? I don't know if what I've been reading is the latest info - is there a specific thread with the latest breaking news? Confirmation on who is doing the deletions and/or attempting to influence the reviews??
SandChigger wrote: GOD GAWD, MAN! Don't post shit like that in public!!! TheKJA will see it and run with it! :shock:
...and so his attentions will turn from Dune, to the America of the 1800's. Let's see him try to rewrite history there! :lol:
lotek wrote: Oh and I'd advise against linking the f word with the p word on this board ;) ;)
I'm sorry! Didn't even think... blind ctrl-c ctrl-v with nary an awareness... my bad! :doh: (attempting to remove foot now) :oops: thanks for the heads-up lotek!
THINK CRITICALLY
grandmastercrafter

...on a completely separate note: does anyone here play EVE Online? or is anyone here a member of Ars Technica, or ArsClan (gaming community) - or is anyone here on Chess.com? - I've become more active these places lately - just wanted to see if anyone here may share these interests :) I started a Dune thread on the Arsclan forums before joining here, with minimal responses to date, but plan to do the same elsewhere, just to help promote Dune through conversations... anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to be more effective? thx! 8)
THINK CRITICALLY
lotek

Post by lotek »

have a Dune chess board?

quite ugly this one though...

Or start a thread on Cheops :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-dimensional_chess" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

grandmastercrafter wrote:...on a completely separate note: does anyone here play EVE Online? or is anyone here a member of Ars Technica, or ArsClan (gaming community) - or is anyone here on Chess.com? - I've become more active these places lately - just wanted to see if anyone here may share these interests :) I started a Dune thread on the Arsclan forums before joining here, with minimal responses to date, but plan to do the same elsewhere, just to help promote Dune through conversations... anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to be more effective? thx! 8)
I play chess on http://www.redhotpawn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:...is anyone here on Chess.com?
I play chess on http://www.redhotpawn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I play chess on my phone.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
grandmastercrafter

Nekhrun wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:...is anyone here on Chess.com?
I play chess on my phone.
yea - chess.com has an app on my droid. i'm trying to play multiple games simultaneously... not doing too bad :) I'll check these other sites.

...and what's up with those pawns on the Dune chessboard, lotek? What are they supposed to be?
THINK CRITICALLY
lotek

Post by lotek »

pawns on one side are Fremen and Sardaukar one the other side.
I haven't looked at them all but the Jessica was not to my liking so I stopped looking at the rest :)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:have a Dune chess board?

quite ugly this one though...
I think somebody left that out in the sun. It's been hot lately.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The knights are sandworms, right? :lol:

The Fremen pawns (Is that a statement, or what?) look like they could be borderline inappropriate...
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I play chess via facebook.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Eyes! You Win! :bow-yellow:

I enjoy chess, but when asked if I play, my most honest answer is that I know the rules. Yours is the first best reason for facebook i've ever heard!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Challenge me to a game. I love to play but don't always win. In fact Schu has beating every single game so far, but I still love to play.

http://www.chess.com/members/view/EyesHigh

my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/EyesHigh
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

when did "pretard" fall out of popular usage ?

re: Keith Twain-redux - why the hell not ?
he's already stuck his meaty paws into Jules Verne ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, Verne was science fiction.

I guess he could always do A Colorado Hiker in the Court of Charlemagne? :P

And introduce a bunch of historical inconsistencies and create a whole new group of haters among historical fiction fans! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"