I seek refuge from ridiculousness

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

grandmastercrafter

Re: I seek refuge from ridiculousness

Post by grandmastercrafter »

Serkanner wrote:One of the treats I make myself sometimes is very simple. Hard boil an egg let it cool down and the cut it in half length-wise. Put some sambal on it and feast on the treat :)
We do this in our house too! My wife and I usually make a bunch (like 50) at a time, for get-togethers as well as smaller amounts to go with dinner... yum!
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
grandmastercrafter

grandmastercrafter wrote:
Serkanner wrote:One of the treats I make myself sometimes is very simple. Hard boil an egg let it cool down and the cut it in half length-wise. Put some sambal on it and feast on the treat :)
We do this in our house too! My wife and I usually make a bunch (like 50) at a time, for get-togethers as well as smaller amounts to go with dinner... yum!
Also have an egg curry that's made in a similar way - I'm typing out a few recipes for a quick copy-pasta - probably try to complete it this weekend for y'all. :drool:
THINK CRITICALLY
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Serkanner wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Man, I'm gonna make me something like this to use in stir fries. Just a wee bit o vinegar, lotsa Sambal.
I like sambal Badjak and Brandal best. Milder in taste than Oelek but o so nice!

One of the treats I make myself sometimes is very simple. Hard boil an egg let it cool down and the cut it in half length-wise. Put some sambal on it and feast on the treat :)
I haven't seen thoose ones. I often buy one that's basically the same but a little milder and with lots of garlic in it. It just calls itself chilli garlic sauce though.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Man, I'm gonna make me something like this to use in stir fries. Just a wee bit o vinegar, lotsa Sambal.
I like sambal Badjak and Brandal best. Milder in taste than Oelek but o so nice!

One of the treats I make myself sometimes is very simple. Hard boil an egg let it cool down and the cut it in half length-wise. Put some sambal on it and feast on the treat :)
I haven't seen thoose ones. I often buy one that's basically the same but a little milder and with lots of garlic in it. It just calls itself chilli garlic sauce though.
These are Indonesian ( once a Dutch colony ) sambal variants which you can buy here at every decent supermarket.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Serkanner wrote:
These are Indonesian ( once a Dutch colony ) sambal variants which you can buy here at every decent supermarket.

The only "decent" grocery store we have is fucking Wal-Mart. We do have a decent asian community and I do use them, but selection is beyond fucking limited.

Rob
grandmastercrafter

A Thing of Eternity wrote: I haven't seen thoose ones. I often buy one that's basically the same but a little milder and with lots of garlic in it. It just calls itself chilli garlic sauce though.
ChiliGarlicSauce rocks! Good call! Maggi Sweet and Spicy also kicks some bum though. An oddly compelling flavor with a subtle, ketchupy consistency, meant to be savored initially with but a momentary brush of the tonguetip, whilst the flavor slides over papillae and beyond, from fungiform to filiform and back again, tantalizingly stimulating, leaving an inevitable trail of softly burning honey-like red stuff from the moment it begins it's approximately 30-foot voyage of transformation within and through the human gastrointestinal tract, to the ineluctable end.
:obscene-buttred:

35 points for filiform
35 points for fungiform
30 points for papillae
50 points for ineluctable
8)
THINK CRITICALLY
grandmastercrafter

Quick question: does anyone know offhand the reason for the name 'Ix'? Apparently FH gave a one-liner in DM saying that Ix is pronounced "icks" because everyone forgot that the roman numeral IX signified the ninth planet in the system? I don't remember that at all (Re-Read!) - and I may have put my foot in my mouth regarding this - am in the middle of a 'discussion' with some preeq-sympathizers over at arsclan (gaming community) and may have messed up my credibility with a silly error... I tried searching here, but 'Ix' can't be searched... any ideas? (I'll get to DM by the weekend :handgestures-fingerscrossed: - just seeing if anyone here could direct me or advise?)

thx!
THINK CRITICALLY
lotek

Post by lotek »

well your answer is the one I would have given ;)

Btw;
from fungiform to filiform and back again, tantalizingly stimulating, leaving an inevitable trail of softly burning honey-like red stuff
:shock: :lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

It's the right answer, Alia mentions it in Children of Dune.
Children of Dune wrote:Alia sniffed. Those women were as ignorant, as superstitious and backward as
the desert Fremen . . . just as that sneering aide had said, trying to curry
favor by reporting the dedication of the dance. And neither the aide nor the
Ixians even knew that Ix was merely a number in a forgotten language.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
grandmastercrafter

SadisticCynic wrote:It's the right answer, Alia mentions it in Children of Dune.
Children of Dune wrote:Alia sniffed. Those women were as ignorant, as superstitious and backward as
the desert Fremen . . . just as that sneering aide had said, trying to curry
favor by reporting the dedication of the dance. And neither the aide nor the
Ixians even knew that Ix was merely a number in a forgotten language.
Ahhh - I see. So the aide and the Ixians had forgotten that - but the Bene Gesserit never forgot it, did they? My argument over there was that the Bene Gesserit, Leto II, Paul, (didn't include Alia, which was a silly mistake on my part) and anyone with Other Memory would never forget the roman numeral system, and it's obvious correlation with the ninth planet in the system... This seems to show that Alia knew it and scoffed at their ignorance...

Quote:
"Originally Posted by Kelsennel
Or the differing stories between the prequel and Herberts. For instance House Vernius ruling IX in the prequels, and the IX Confederacy in Herberts books. If I remember correctly, the only remaining heir to IX was damn near killed and basically became a cyborg who couldn't possibly have children. Or the fact that IX is pronounced 'icks' because no one really remembers that IX was the roman numeral signifying that IX was the ninth planet in orbit around it's star."
"Originally Posted by grandmastercrafter
hehehe - this is all stuff that Kevin/Brian made up, poorly. Consider this: Other Memory would not have allowed every single Bene Gesserit, and Paul, and Leto II, to somehow 'forget' the roman numeral system and it's connection to a ninth planet in a solar system (they regularly talk about memories extending back to pre-spaceflight, in the original Dune series, so the idea of a collective memory loss like that is just ridiculous)."
"Originally Posted by TinyTony
The name being a forgotten roman numeral was from FH in Dune Messiah. Can't blame that one on Kevin/Brian. They just ran with FH's one line comment."

I'm going to have to eat some crow :oops:
THINK CRITICALLY
grandmastercrafter

I've eaten crow. It is bad. :puke:

I ixpect :| to be lambasted, hoisted by me own petard.
THINK CRITICALLY
lotek

Post by lotek »

grandmastercrafter wrote: "Originally Posted by TinyTony
The name being a forgotten roman numeral was from FH in Dune Messiah. Can't blame that one on Kevin/Brian. They just ran with FH's one line comment."
as usual, stupid preeq is stupid...

I am not sure the BG advertised its knowledge of OM. They knew, but telling people would require giving away one of the greatest secrets of the order.

Paul and Alia didn't have a real reason to go out of their way to expose that fact either.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It was, after all, their secret, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:It was, after all, their secret, too.
but would they have the same reason to hide it?
The Sisterhood didn't want its secret exposed so avoid the hunting of all RMs and also because it would force them to deny their motto "We exist only to serve".

but the Atreides didn't have any qualms about seizing power(in fact it is part of what they are to seek power)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It was, after all, their secret, too.
but would they have the same reason to hide it?
The Sisterhood didn't want its secret exposed so avoid the hunting of all RMs and also because it would force them to deny their motto "We exist only to serve".

but the Atreides didn't have any qualms about seizing power(in fact it is part of what they are to seek power)
Part of what they are also, is Bene Gesserit.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

yes but... :)

if they were truly BG Paul would have submitted to the Sisterhood and Leto II'd never have existed.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:yes but... :)

if they were truly BG Paul would have submitted to the Sisterhood and Leto II'd never have existed.
Paul isn't just BG, he's more than BG. He has male OM. Besides, he's primarily an Atreides aristocrat and House Atreides will always come first, even if it cost 61 billion lives.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Not only is OM secret, the Bene Gesserit aren't in the business of demystifying history. Their survival and power depends on people misunderstanding the origins of their traditions.

lotek wrote:yes but... :)

To me, they were truly Atreides and truly Harkonnen and truly Bene Gesserit. I'm not necessarily saying that being each one of those is exactly the same kind of thing, but I think each one is true. The Bene Gesserit consider them and their descendents dangerous wild cards (to put it mildly), but they are truly BG.

Exactly, they are "more than BG" (especially Paul).
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:Not only is OM secret, the Bene Gesserit aren't in the business of demystifying history. Their survival and power depends on people misunderstanding the origins of their traditions.
How much you want to bet this becomes an epigraph in Sisterhood of Dune. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:Not only is OM secret, the Bene Gesserit aren't in the business of demystifying history. Their survival and power depends on people misunderstanding the origins of their traditions.
How much you want to bet this becomes an epigraph in Sisterhood of Dune. :wink:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
pwned

EDIT: I analyzed that, and I write like Dan Brown now. WTF is happening!?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
grandmastercrafter

thanks - makes me feel a little better, but I should know better than to speak without all the facts ready at my fingertips beforehand - not my first time, nor the last, I expect... :doh:
THINK CRITICALLY
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

A belated greeting from a fellow Dune dilletante. Thou hast broughten thineself to the precisely correct Internet forum regarding or pertaining to Dune. The aforementioned provides a nonpretentious and antidisestablishmentarianism counterpoint and counterbalance to the local dunce-ery and foolishness, as well as the sloth of what a neglible minority refer, somewhat ironically, to as the "Official" Dune Forums. 'Tis quite observant and supercalifragalisticexpealadocous of you to realize the various and grandiolquent mutitudes of faux pas's comitted at such an Internet establishment. Much congratulations and gratitude be upon thy, fellow Herbertarian. Thou hast chosen for thineself the correct Dune Internet forum for thou to attend.

Cordially,

Sandworm88

Post-Script---

Oh yeah, and one more thing--
Pneumoniaultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Looks like someone's learned some new words today.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Are you saying that The Sole Man... can learn?

:lol: :laughing: :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well, that changes everything, doesn't it ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008