Omph Book Review Comments

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Omph Book Review Comments

Post by Omphalos »

I have a request for you all. I've been working on the book review pages for some time. Although they are not done, I'm going to start trying to get the word out about the website so people know its there. One thing that kind of bugs me is that I have a shit load of posts, but very few comments. Id appreciate it if you guys would take a few moments to find one of my reviews that you either liked or hated, or a book you feel strongly about one way or the other, and post about it on my blog. You will find an "add a comment" link at the bottom of each review, and the share link is at the bottom too. Here are the two main search tools:

Tags and Title search page: http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... arch/books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Browse page: http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... ews/browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This'd really help me out, guys and gals. If you help, thanks a bunch, and please, feel free to keep it up if you like. Please also don't feel like you have to pander; if you want to tear me a new one, go ahead and try. :wink: I want to run the blog like I run T(A)U; anything and everything that comes from a reasonable and thought out place is fine with me, even if its not flattering.

Thanks a ton!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Omph Book Review Comments

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:Please also don't feel like you have to pander; if you want to tear me a new one, go ahead and try.
The combination of humility and omphaconfidence in that is devastating. :lol:

Will do. :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I wanted to comment a few times on you're old page but was of the impression that it was borked in that regards. Thanks for letting me know it's now working. Am I required me register?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

inhuien wrote:you're old
SWEET! Hidden insults! I LOVE this thread! :lol:

Edit: Hey, I think I found the problem with the super-stretchy cover images ON THE INDEX PAGE (N.B. NOT the individual review pages! The images look fine there!)! You've got a CSS style width statement in the td tag for the table cell holding the image, limiting it to 56 pixels:

Code: Select all

<td style="width:56px">
Which would be fine, except that you're not setting a fixed size for the images, just reducing their width and height to 70% of their true values. Which, again, wouldn't be a problem if all the images were of the same dimensions.

But they're not. E.g., The Man in the Moone image is 319x549 pixels; The SF of Jack London, 225x300 px; etc.

You can thank me later! :whistle: ;)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'll head over there and start commenting later on today hopefully.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

No registration required. There is a catchca system, and I have to approve comments, but I think once you're approved don't need to do that any more.

And thanks for the heads-up, Chig! We reduce from a full sized pic from Amazon that I either upload for books with invalid ISBN's, or swipe directly from Amazon for books that have valid ones. But now that I know what the problem is we can fix it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Will get to posting here tonight. Some good stuff on there.

Rob