Been Wandering for Too Long

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Cro-Mags

Been Wandering for Too Long

Post by Cro-Mags »

Hi all,

I posted in the "FH's Other Books" to start, but I feel like explaining what brought me here.

Got introduced to Dune as a kid through my older brother who was a big fan. While I hadn't read the novels, I remember being intrigued by looking through a large coffee table size version of the Encyclopedia, then the Lynch films, as well as a lot of film inspired spin-off stuff was around at that time too (mid/late 80s?)- I specifically remember having a Marvel Comics adaptation of the movie (I was still a kid and Dune was out of my league at that point).

I knew I had to do the series justice one day by sitting down and reading through it. Fast Forward to my 20s, I was living in Tokyo, and somewhat desperate for reading material from home. Browsing through a massive bookstore in Shinjuku, I came across the Dune novels and decided now was the time. I ate 'em up. Over the course of 4 years in Japan I read through all 6 books, I read through a second time with a highliter, and started a 3rd read through with a pen, underlining and making notations in the margins. I couldn't get enough.

So time, passes, I'm overseas, so I'm not really up on pop-culture or anything back home, when one day, in the same bookstore I see the 'House" series in paperback. I'd been aware that Brian had published books before, but I'd never heard of Kevin Anderson.

I didn't need to be prepped that this was going to be Dune-lite, I just had this vibe that it was going to be just that. I read through them, as I was voracious for anything Dune. I had low expectations, I knew they were going to be shallow, and at the time I felt. "Hey, Dune-lite is better than no Dune at all"

Then the 'Legends' series. I guess I felt obligated as a Dune fan to fill in the gaps, but the straw that broke the camel's back for me was "The Battle of Corrin". I can go into detail, but I'm sure you have threads on it already.

I read the Dune 7 cash-ins dispassionately, almost like it was homework. I did make it a point of principle to get it from the library, no way was I going to get burned again.

I gave them a chance, but enough is enough.

It would be almost funny how transparently they are raping this series if it weren't something that had so much potential and still had such a strong following.

Anyway, back to the start, in searching for an answer to my OP, I googled "Dune Forums" and you can guess where that brought me first. I kid you not, I browsed the forums for not more than 2 minutes and I knew something was seriously wrong because there was no criticism of the spin-offs. I had read some Amazon reviews before and found out there was a lot of controversy about critical reviews being pulled for no good reason, and lots of 5 star reviews that basically regurgitated the PR press kit.

So I found you guys, and have signed up to fight the good fight. I may be done with their spin-offs, but I can help but be disgusted by the petty tactics used to cover up how, just, half-assed these books are. And the fact that they are now going back and cramming books into any gap they can find between previous books just tells me they are just milking it dry.
I'm down with those clowns.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Been Wandering for Too Long

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome home!
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

Welcome. I think you need to go back and get banned an DN first, though.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Blaze of Glory...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

welcome on board. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Cro-Mags

Post by Cro-Mags »

Cro-Mags wrote: I'm down with those clowns.
Oops, I meant "I'm DONE with those clowns"

Did I mention I suck at typing/proofreading? :oops:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Cro-Mags wrote:
Cro-Mags wrote: I'm down with those clowns.
Oops, I meant "I'm DONE with those clowns"

Did I mention I suck at typing/proofreading? :oops:

Don't worry, some of us might make a few mistakes along the way too. :shhh:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Renegade Rev Mother
Location: The excitingly hospitable and stimulating Sietch Jacarutu after too long a seeking.

Post by Renegade Rev Mother »

Achlan, Wasachlan!

It is rather amazing, isn't it, that we, the fans of Frank Herbert's original masterpieces, are considered The Cast Out?

After all, Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson could more rightly be considered The Water Stealers and, certainly, their hands are damp.

Again, welcome, welcome!
"Our test is crisis and observation."
"U tishuf hatt al-hudud / alman albaid. / Ayway libarr / adam almalum / tishuf liani..."
"Bless the Maker and His water. Bless His coming and His going. May His passing cleanse the world, may He keep the world for His people. Bi-la kaifa!"
Cro-Mags

Post by Cro-Mags »

Renegade Rev Mother wrote: It is rather amazing, isn't it, that we, the fans of Frank Herbert's original masterpieces, are considered The Cast Out?
I don't know if I see it that way.

In my mind, they have the legal right to write sequels. You don't get legal rights because of merit.

But I don't have to recognize them as spiritual sequels.

They can call the books whatever they want, it doesn't make them something they can never be in spirit.

From my perspective they are outsiders, usurpers. What they do under the guise of IP ownership is academic to me.

McDonald's could come out with a 'Porterhouse Steak Burger', but if it's the same, bland, grey junkfood, I reserve the right to call B.S.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nice intro Cro-Mags. Welcome.
A Little Galach wrote:I think you need to go back and get banned an DN first, though.
I still haven't been banned from that place and I've been here for a little while now.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Nekhrun wrote:Nice intro Cro-Mags. Welcome.
A Little Galach wrote:I think you need to go back and get banned an DN first, though.
I still haven't been banned from that place and I've been here for a little while now.

Welcome, Cro-Mags.

I'm trying to get banned, but I don't want to do it by just saying: "Fuck you, motherfucker!" It's getting to that point, though.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah it's become quite the initiation rite hasn't it?
And welcome twice welcome!!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Cro-Mags

Post by Cro-Mags »

I actually tried to register but they haven't (won't?) activate my account. I'm wont to avoid that place like the plague since it seems like they stifle debate/criticism. But I'd be lying if I said I don't get a kick out of tweaking people like that.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

merkin muffley wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
I'm trying to get banned, but I don't want to do it by just saying: "Fuck you, motherfucker!" It's getting to that point, though.
I've never tried to get banned, but I'm shocked that I haven't been considering some of the milder posts that others have been kicked out for.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

merkin muffley wrote:I'm trying to get banned, but I don't want to do it by just saying: "Fuck you, motherfucker!" It's getting to that point, though.
I kind of threw myself under the bus at DN because no matter what I said, he would not ban me. So I took the choice out of his hands, and that was somewhat empowering. But at C-H Tabr, I joined, went on and said "FU!" to Hyppo. I wanted to be the very first one banned there, and IIRC I was.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Achlan! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Have I said "Welcome home!", yet?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! :)

I take it you're not here in Japan any longer? (I'm in Fukushima and Mr Teg is between here and Tokyo.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm getting jealous of all you Japanese livin people! :evil:
Cro-Mags

Post by Cro-Mags »

SandChigger wrote:Achlan wasachlan! :)

I take it you're not here in Japan any longer? (I'm in Fukushima and Mr Teg is between here and Tokyo.)
Oh wow, cool.
No, I'm back in the States now, was living/working in Ikebukuro. Met my wife there, so we go back once a year or so to see friends/family. I was just there (Tokyo/Saitama/Kanegawa) in May.

Man, I hate that flight (JFK to Narita).

Have some tonkatsu and few Super Drys for me!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Cool. :)

I honestly can't remember the last time I went into Tokyo, much less been to Ikebukuro. I used to go in several times a month, when I lived in Tsukuba (the first 8 or 9 years I was over here).

I used to hate the flights, too, but the last few years I've finally gotten to the point where I can sleep on the plane, so it's not so bad. Miss the free booze, though. :P

(I only do Kirin Classic and Ebisu these days, but I'll raise a glass to you next time. :) )
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Welcome! Your story sounds familiar; you'll fit right in here. :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

hi
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -