Ach, it's the result of me misspent youth. :oops:

And adulthood.

And middle age. :lol:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Out in Open Sand

Post by Eyes High »

Renegade Rev Mother wrote:...

I was not aware that there was an active Reverend Mother in-sietch.

~ RRM

Well unfortunately RL is keeping her too active to be active in=sietch. And can't we have more than one RM

Wasn't both Chani and Jessica varying degrees of RMs in Dune?

Besides, I think some of how brothers need all the help they can get. :wink: :mrgreen:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:

~ RRM

Well unfortunately RL is keeping her too active to be active in=sietch. And can't we have more than one RM

Besides, I think some of how brothers need all the help they can get. :wink: :mrgreen:
Chani was Sayyadina.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Renegade Rev Mother wrote:which would accomplish little aside from annoy the Naibs. [/color]
I think our Naibs have made their position quite clear on the matter ;)

But women in Dune have always been headstrong so there you go!

An btw, welcome to our sietch, we need all the spiritual guidance a RM can give here!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Renegade Rev Mother
Location: The excitingly hospitable and stimulating Sietch Jacarutu after too long a seeking.

Post by Renegade Rev Mother »

Renegade Rev Mother wrote:Chig, is the following close to Fremen?:

.لي خطأ ؛ الاعتذار
SandChigger wrote:Google translate is not our friend! ;)
In my own defense, it was not GoogleTranslate or Babylon... I have standards. :wink:

Still, machine translators, in general, are not very good, and only can help if one has a firm grounding in the language in question. Different alphabets (Hebrew, Arabic, Cyrillic, et al) and reading/writing right-to-left... not my thang. Romance languages and German; much safer ground.

Hence, my deference to your superior knowledge. Asfa, Khatai! (In language; not in deferring to you in this matter :wink: I was going for “My mistake; apologies!” ) Even Reverend Mothers are not infallible. :wink:

SandChigger wrote:( Liyya khata is more like "I have a mistake". Khatai [or ghaltati] would be "my mistake" ("my bad!"). Al-itidhar is "the apology".

How about just Asif! (m) Asfa! (f) Asfin! (pl) "Sorry!" (dependent on gender of speaker in singular)
Do we have a Sietch Scribe to note these to the lexicon, for those who wish to learn/use Fremen?
SandChigger wrote:[(I haven't decided what to do about the writing system yet. Herbert neutralized a lot of the consonant distinctions and ditched vowel quantity completely; keeping something like the modern spellings in the Arabic script would make Fremen just like modern English: a real PITA to write! ;) )
Well, then, Sandchigger, it appears your first assignment, should you graciously accept it for the good of the sietch, would be to given us the Fremen word for Sietch Linguist. :D

~ RRM
"Our test is crisis and observation."
"U tishuf hatt al-hudud / alman albaid. / Ayway libarr / adam almalum / tishuf liani..."
"Bless the Maker and His water. Bless His coming and His going. May His passing cleanse the world, may He keep the world for His people. Bi-la kaifa!"
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:
Eyes High wrote:

~ RRM

Chani was Sayyadina.

May I blame it on the heat? :shifty:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Eyes High wrote:

~ RRM

Chani was Sayyadina.
May I blame it on the heat? :shifty:
She was a RM in training, so that's close.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Renegade Rev Mother
Location: The excitingly hospitable and stimulating Sietch Jacarutu after too long a seeking.

Renegade Rev Mother wrote:I was not aware that there was an active Reverend Mother in-sietch.

Eyes High wrote:Well unfortunately RL is keeping her too active to be active in-sietch.
Oh, do not think of it as "unfortunate," "Eyes High," for she is young yet. Over-young not to have an active social life to off-set her studies. RL should bless Young Q with an abundance of interesting things to do and experience.

Such things would, after all, increase her wisdom as Reverend Mother. :)

Eyes High wrote:And can't we have more than one RM?
The Naibs should discuss the matter.
Eyes High wrote:Weren't both Chani and Jessica varying degrees of RMs in Dune?
Freakzilla wrote:Chani was Sayyadina.
Freak is correct; Chani was consecrated as Sayyadina when Jessica of the Weirding undertook the Water of Life from Reverend Mother Ramallo. Should Jessica have been lost in the effort, and the tribe been left without a Reverend Mother, Chani would remain as Sayyadina, as Reverend Mother Ramallo said, "so we should not lose all." As she successfully transmuted the poison, Jessica passed from Sayyadina to an undoubted Reverend Mother.
Eyes High wrote:May I blame it on the heat? :shifty:
Of course. Humidity is also quite wearying and befuddling to the Desert-born. :)
Eyes High wrote:Besides, I think some of how brothers need all the help they can get. :wink: :mrgreen:
Indeed. :)

~ RRM
"U tishuf hatt al-hudud / alman albaid. / Ayway libarr / adam almalum / tishuf liani..."
"Bless the Maker and His water. Bless His coming and His going. May His passing cleanse the world, may He keep the world for His people. Bi-la kaifa!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think this place needs all the RMs we can get.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I think this place needs all the RMs we can get.
You thinkin' psychic tornado? :wink:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
You thinkin' psychic tornado? :wink:
:lol:

I NEVER think psychic tornado.
~Pink Snowman
Renegade Rev Mother

Especially a Reverend Mother With-the-Sight, the Voice and a Truthsayer. :D

After all, I went to school for all that! :wink:

~ RRM
Renegade Rev Mother

Nekhrun wrote:You thinkin' psychic tornado? :wink:
Freakzilla wrote: :lol:

I NEVER think psychic tornado.
I'm with Freak. (That statement has possibilities, and it's right up there - down there? - with "I'm with the band..." :lol: ) Only small minds think of grandiose (gotta use it again, credit Chig: "blendericious") puerile silly shit like "psychic tornados."

Mature creative minds have more subtlety. :wink:

~ RRM
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Renegade Rev Mother wrote:Do we have a Sietch Scribe to note these to the lexicon, for those who wish to learn/use Fremen?
Added them yesterday. :)
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

Renegade Rev Mother wrote:
A Little Galach wrote:From your novelettes I gather:
Not digging the length? Maybe? Kinda?
Just poking fun at your apparent joy in wordiness.
A Little Galach wrote:B) [sic: D) ]You don't wear panties.
Ahh, a bit of a misunderstanding.

Sandrider shared his hope that perhaps I and “Reverend Mother Q” (whom I mistook for the Bene Gesserit Sister Quintinius Violet Chenoeh) might be amenable to a little wrasslin’ in quicksand. I declined (can’t speak for “Reverend Mother Q”) as I am not a fan of sand in my undies, though I expect Sandrider is a Fremen free-baller.
Fandom reneged.
A Little Galach wrote:I think you also said that you didn't enjoy GEoD as much as books 1-3, but I didn't see if you had read #'s 5 & 6. Could the you spend a few minutes and paragraphs and tell me if you have or not? Just curious.
I have read the entire Canon Dune of FH.

My favourites are Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and Dune Messiah is edged out by the other two.

As I have written before, the “Original Characters” are what captured my imagination and interest. Children of Dune ends with Leto II and Ghanima still chronological, if not mental and emotional, children. I already wanted so much more in terms of information and story lines with Jessica, Irulan, Reverend Mother Mohaim, Paul/Muad’Dib, Chani, et. al., and then God Emperor of Dune “jumped” literally a millennia into the future, leaving any hope of further storylines with those characters long behind. (Of course, absolutely the “right” of FH, their creator.) With God Emperor, I (the reader) was introduced to new characters with storylines just as complicated as those of the “Original Characters,” but for whom I could not develop an interest, feeling, as I did, that there was too abrupt of a cutting-off.

There was another “jump” into Heretics of Dune and a further one into Chapterhouse: Dune, all too “far” from the original story for me. The stories just got… well… too… de trop for me (sorry, it’s the only term I can think of; something to the effect of “too much”) with Honoured Matres and sexual imprinting on children, etc. I did feel like someone was urging FH “sex it up! Push the boundaries!”

Whatever FH’s intentions, I could never imagine Leto II and Ghamina as actual (in the physical sense) children, as that was pushing the boundaries too much for me, the “Mother-Father Game” taking on, as the characters admit, new meaning and realms of intimacy with which I was not comfortable. Oh, I get the idea, but it flirts too closely to the real world problem of the sexual objectification of children, and the argument of real-life pedophiles that some children are “ready” and have “mature inner lives.” Colour me pedestrian, but I had more of an “image” of them similar to the “Children of Dune” mini-series; pre-teens and teens, not two nine year olds. Then, as I said, Ghamina – and the other characters – are just dropped, as we’re into God Emperor and the endless procession of Duncan Idaho gholas.

Leto II alone was not “enough” for me. I never “took” to the characters of Siona and Sheeana, much less Murbella. I must admit to constantly looking for the echos of the Original Characters in Books IV-VI.

This interest in the Original Characters and “more” about them made me easily lured into Paul of Dune and Winds of Dune. I never really got into The Butlerian Jihad (the “take” of the Dune Encyclopedia was more engaging and made more “sense” than that disturbed mess of weird fantasies). I was given some of the House books as a present, but never ventured past the first pages.

I have to admit I never questioned the content of 5 & 6 as far as consenting age. I always looked at the gholas as less-than-human children since their purpose was to dispense with their childhood eventually, and in Teg's case at the point of humping. It honestly never occurred to me that Sheeana was underage at the end of Heretics, but that's probably a product of her being raised in the frontier and her subsequent stature among the priesthood. Her maturity-age ratio is higher than present-day Western culture's.

I can't say I disagree with the desire for characters as magnetic as Paul and the ancillary characters in 1 & 2, but I found Teg and Duncan's expansion in 5 & 6 very compelling. I really wanted Leto I, Gurney and others expanded along with a fleshing out of the Duniverse's history (The empire, the Landsraad, the alliances, guild, Ix, etc). That is why I think the KJA-led garbage is so offensive to me.

I explain (to myself) that Ghanima and hubby (among others) being dropped from the story and skipped, not to be "used" later as typical FH-ish literary omission similar to his effort to build up Fenring as a dangerous weapon...only to have him decline to play a role. (Yet another character I wanted to hear more about...from a real author)

I also agree with you on GEoD. I wanted more than just Leto the first time through. After I discovered this place and reread the first 3 books again, I found that I really enjoyed the book. I liked Frank waxing philosophic about everything social, political and strategic.

In summary: Objections noted but overruled.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sheeana wouldn't have been underaged in Georgia. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:Sheeana wouldn't have been underaged in Georgia. :wink:
apparently not
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... 04083.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
apparently not
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... 04083.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For tatoos, you must be older. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
A Little Galach

But I bet she was into stuff that is illegal there.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Little Galach wrote:
Hey, they repealed the Sodomy Law in 2004. :dance:
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

:hand:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
A Little Galach wrote:
Hey, they repealed the Sodomy Law in 2004. :dance:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghxn38bX ... re=related[/youtube]
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Georgia code section 16-6-2 provides a 1 to 20 year mandatory sentence for any adults consenting to "any sexual act involving the sex organs of one person and the mouth or anus of another". Married couples are not excluded from this law.

So up until 2004 it was illegal to have oral/anal sex even with your wife/husband. :crazy:
~Pink Snowman
A Little Galach

TheDukester wrote::hand:
Your smiley is confusing, I cannot discern your position on this important hijacked issue. Are you pro- or anti-buttsecks? Do you also find it interesting that Freak had that information so handy? Do you think he had it committed to memory, stickied to his computer monitor or bookmarked on his browser?
A Little Galach

Freakzilla wrote:Georgia code section 16-6-2 provides a 1 to 20 year mandatory sentence for any adults consenting to "any sexual act involving the sex organs of one person and the mouth or anus of another". Married couples are not excluded from this law.

So up until 2004 it was illegal to have oral/anal sex even with your wife/husband. :crazy:

Yes, but you don't know if it will be legal 10,000 AG, now do you?