OH Merch

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: OH Merch

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

If we wanted it to sound like that Islamic quote it should read more like:

There are only six Dune books and Frank Herbert is their author. (itallics just to show my changes)

(I believe that the Islamic quote has "only" and "and" in it, though that might just be different translations, I'm sure Chig will correct me if wrong on that.)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Works for me, I tried two sentances for space.

Let me re-emphasize, a smarter fellow than I came up with it. I can't find it but if it'll jog anyones memory, it was a question on a faux entrance exam.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I testify that none is god except God alone, He has no equal; and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger.

(If you say it out loud three times you become Muslim)

:P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Yeah, it probably won't work on a shirt. Well Done to whomever did it!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:(I believe that the Islamic quote has "only" and "and" in it, though that might just be different translations, I'm sure Chig will correct me if wrong on that.)
The original Arabic says "There are no gods but God, and Mohammed is His messenger." So for our purposes shouldn't it be something more like

There is no Dune but Dune, and Frank Herbert is its author.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nice! :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:(I believe that the Islamic quote has "only" and "and" in it, though that might just be different translations, I'm sure Chig will correct me if wrong on that.)
The original Arabic says "There are no gods but God, and Mohammed is His messenger." So for our purposes shouldn't it be something more like

There is no Dune but Dune, and Frank Herbert is its author.
Shoot, that is actually how I heard it now that I have my memory jogged - except the one I heard was singular "god" at the beginning, but this way makes more sense given the history.

Messenger is the same as prophet though isn't it? I thought a prophet was just someone who speaks for someone else.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A prophet predicts the future.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

"A Prophet" is an awesome movie :)

Really!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Messenger is the same as prophet though isn't it?
A messenger is a rasûl and a prophet is a nabî. Evidently there's a difference, but it's beyond my caring. See this on Wikipedia for an explanation. The Shahada uses rasul. :)
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:A prophet predicts the future.
I could be wrong, but I believe the original biblical meaning (Judaic) was just someone speaking for god, not predicting the future.
SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Messenger is the same as prophet though isn't it?
A messenger is a rasûl and a prophet is a nabî. Evidently there's a difference, but it's beyond my caring. See this on Wikipedia for an explanation. The Shahada uses rasul. :)
Ah. I was thinking in terms of what I learned back when I was learning about Judaism.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.biblebell.org/proph/prophecy1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A prophet speaks forth God's messages in TWO MAIN CATEGORIES, as illustrated from the book of the prophet Isaiah in the verses alongside...

Category #1: Preaching -- a preaching prophet encourages, comforts, or reproves the people. (NOTE - from this standpoint, a pastor who preaches, in full and accurate accord with God's Bible, is functioning as a prophet.)

Examples of a prophet who preaches

Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes. Cease to do evil Isa 1.16

If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land Isa 1.19

Category #2: Foretelling -- a foretelling prophet gives the people the word of God concerning the future
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://islam.about.com/od/prophets/p/prophets.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why has God sent prophets?:
Islam teaches that God has sent prophets to humanity, in different times and places, to communicate His message. Since the beginning of time, God has sent His guidance through these chosen people. They were human beings who taught the people around them about faith in One Almighty God, and how to walk on the path of righteousness. Some prophets also revealed God's Word through books of revelation.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

That all makes sense, and I know that eventually prophet came to mean teller of the future, but I was told that the original meaning just meant to speak for.

Of course, the old meaning hardly matters now that I think of it, and the person who taught me that was a great religious teacher, but no linguist, and was probably just repeating something he heard.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was thinking back to my brainwashed... I mean Xtian days. Whenever someone prophesied it was a message about the future... which is really what religion is, right?

If you do this now, you'll get a spanking!
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I was thinking back to my brainwashed... I mean Xtian days. Whenever someone prophesied it was a message about the future... which is really what religion is, right?

If you do this now, you'll get a spanking!
In Xianity I've always heard it referring to the future too.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:That all makes sense, and I know that eventually prophet came to mean teller of the future, but I was told that the original meaning just meant to speak for.
Yep.
prophet ...

ORIGIN: Middle English : from Old French prophete, via Latin from Greek prophētēsspokesman,’ from pro ‘before’ + phētēs ‘speaker’ (from phēnai ‘speak’ ).
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

......:FH small:
There IS only one.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Nice, I was right - but my source was still junk, he said the word was Hebrew, if it's just from some other language I don't see how it was even relevant to the class I was in.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The Hebrew word is also something like nabi or navi; I remember because some dumbfook asked somewhere if there was any connection with the name of the blue kitty aliens, the Na'vi. :roll:

I'll check later to see how the words differ meaning-wise in Hebrew and Arabic, unless someone beats me to it. ;)
lotek

Post by lotek »

probably not :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:The Hebrew word is also something like nabi or navi; I remember because some dumbfook asked somewhere if there was any connection with the name of the blue kitty aliens, the Na'vi. :roll:

I'll check later to see how the words differ meaning-wise in Hebrew and Arabic, unless someone beats me to it. ;)
I just have to ask, do you mean me here? Or did someone actually try to make the connection: blue aliens = prophets?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Jeez, NO, I didn't mean you! :lol: For starters, I don't think of you as a "dumbfook"! ;)

No, it was in the comments on one of the linguistics blogs, Languagehat maybe? It was soon after the movie came out and the linguistic & conlang circles were creaming themselves over the Na'vi language, and impressionable young thangs and various greenie dimwits were being blown away by the environmental message, blah blah blah.

Yeah, there was definitely a "The Na'vi will show us the Way to save our Earth!" vibe. :roll:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Oh, OK. The original reason I asked was because of the name of a fairy in the game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity