Bene Gesserith as custodians of the Golden Path

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

mrpsbrk

Re: Bene Gesserith as custodians of the Golden Path

Post by mrpsbrk »

So, what do i make of that? Well, the "survival" thing is pretty much a given, and has always been. Although "Invisibility" has not many hits, the ones it has are pretty impressive, like Leto's last words. But the "Scattering" hypothesis, Leto does not speak about it at all.

He does talk about the famine times with Hwi, and i believe that he describes the scattering at some point (didn't find it still). But He never ever says that "the GP is the Scattering". In the Hwi dialogue, for example, she is following the steps after the fall of the Empire eagerly, but then, just as you think He will talk about the Scattering, He pulls a "by then it wont matter no more". He does say that people will recover the capacity to travel far away, but that it is a minor thing. In that dialogue He seems to be more interested in the every-planet-is-a-Salusa-Secundus effect of the famine...

You more than anyone must know that it is pretty easy to find Leto quotes about almost any kind of attitude change: be creative, do not bend to authority, take care to not be entrapped by religion, bureaucracy, etc, etc. But does any of that actually related directly to the GP? It is fairly easy to assume that they do, indirectly, but is it enough to say that "they are the Golden Path"?

So, although i know that searching for "Golden Path" is a somewhat artificial measure, is there any other? I am open to try.

Quite frankly, your view of the GP does seem to be unsupported by the book. Let me analyse the few quotes i actually ticked as "scattering". (36) and (39) are talking about completely unrelated subjects, and the only thing possibly connecting them to your theory was the words "anywhere" and "somewhere". If i had presented something like that to support my views you would mock me. But take (53): "i present to you a time that never converges, it will always diverge". That is reasonably related to Scattering, but first it talks about "time" and not "space" and it also uses this idea of "divergence" that seems to me to require a whole lot of explanation.

I also extended this experiment to ChoD, HoD and CH:D, with mostly irrelevant results. HoD and Ch:D are mostly other people talking about the GP, and ChoD does have some quotes that are fairly promising to anyone wanting to "speculate wildly", but nothing about Scatter. I haven't tried to search Dune and DM.

On the other hand, the search on HoD and CH:D does unearth this:
CH:D wrote:She did not reply, held to silence by his Mentat view. Golden Path: humankind "erupting" into the universe . . . never again confined to any single planet and susceptible to a singular fate. All of our eggs no longer in one basket.
There, the Scattering hypothesis. It is a mentat calculation by the Ultimate Duncan. It is so well in accordance with Freak's theory of the Golden Path that i call it the Freakzilla-Ultimate-Duncan hypothesis. I understand this might sound as a good point, but why should we take it as more valuable than, say, Taraza's opinion:
HoD wrote:It was an eternal flaw. Out there in the Scattering, humankind expanded exponentially, swarming across unlimited space. The Tyrant's Golden Path secure at last. Or was it? Surely, the Atreides worm had planned more than the simple survival of the species.

He did something to us that we have not yet unearthed -- even after all of these millennia. I think I know what he did. My opposition says otherwise.
I know Ultimate Duncan is a mentat, and he had been Leto's pet dog for 3k years, but... Taraza had access to all the BG mentat's, she had OM well in excess of Duncan's, and after all Duncan was at the time he made his "computation" being fed a restricted amount of data, he was a starved mentat.

I don't know. When i ask "what is the Golden Path" i am interested in Lord Leto's opinion. Not that Duncan's is bad, or Freak's, i actually think that it might be an interesting line of analysis, but... They are still different things.

I stand uncorrected. I simply think thou naysayers have not read the books. Cry and moan, if you want, but if you want to discuss Dune for x's sake get rid of your confirmation bias!!!!
Marcio (mrpsbrk) does believe in Lord Leto over all other wills and reasons ;-)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, there you have it, Freak, you can't argue with the numbers! :lol:

Oooh, mrpork, what a CLEVER gambit. "You say I haven't read the books? Ha! YOU haven't read the books!" :roll:

("Thou" is singular, fuckwit. "Thou naysayers" is ungrammatical. You're a moron. Go FUCK yourself. :) )
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Very last chapter in GEoD:

Excerpt from the Hadi Benotto secret summation on the discoveries at Dar-es-
Balat:

Herewith THE minority report. We will, of course, comply with the majority
decision to apply a careful screening, editing and censorship to the journals
from Dar-es-Balat, but our arguments must be heard. We recognize the interest of
Holy Church in these matters and the political dangers have not escaped our
notice. We share a desire with the Church that Rakis and the Holy Reservation of
the Divided God not become "an attraction for gawking tourists."
However, now that all of the journals are in our hands, authenticated and
translated, the clear shape of the Atreides Design emerges. As a woman trained
by the Bene Gesserit to understand the ways of our ancestors, I have a natural
desire to share the pattern we have exposed which is so much more than Dune to
Arrakis to Dune, thence to Rakis.
The interests of history and science must be served. The journals throw a
valuable new light onto that accumulation of personal recollections and
biographies from the Duncan Days, the Guard Bible. We cannot be unmindful of
those familiar oaths: "By the Thousand Sons of Idaho!" and "By the Nine
Daughters of Siona!" The persistent Cult of Sister Chenoeh assumes new
significance because of the journals' disclosures. Certainly, the Church's
characterization of Judas/Nayla deserves careful reevaluation.
We of the Minority must remind the political censors that the poor sandworms in
their Rakian Reservation cannot provide us with an alternative to Ixian
Navigation Machines, nor are the tiny amounts of Church-controlled melange any
real commercial threat to the products of the Tleilaxu vats. No! We argue that
the myths, the Oral History, the Guard Bible, and even the Holy Books of the
Divided God must be compared with the journals from Dar-es-Balat. Every
historical reference
to the Scattering and the Famine Times has to be taken out and reexamined! What
have we to fear? No Ixian machine can do what we, the descendants of Duncan
Idaho and Siona, have done. How many universes have we populated? None can
guess. No one person will ever know. Does the Church fear the occasional
prophet? We know that the visionaries cannot see us nor predict our decisions.
No death can find all of humankind.
Must we of the Minority join our fellows of
the Scattering before we can be heard? Must we leave the original core of
humankind ignorant and uninformed? If the Majority drives us out, you know we
never again can be found!
We do not want to leave. We are held here by those pearls in the sand. We are
fascinated by the Church's use of the pearl as "the sun of understanding."
Surely, no reasoning human can escape the journals' revelations in this regard.
The admittedly fugitive but vital uses of archeology must have their day! Just
as the primitive machine with which Leto II concealed his journals can only teach
us about the evolution of our machines, just so, that ancient awareness must be
allowed to speak to us. It would be a crime against both historical accuracy and
science for us to abandon our attempts at communication with those "pearls of
awareness" which the journals have located. Is Leto II lost in his endless dream
or could he be reawakened to our times, brought to full consciousness as a
storehouse of historical accuracy? How can Holy Church fear this truth?
For the Minority, we have no doubt that historians must listen to that voice
from our beginnings. If it is only the journals, we must listen. We must listen
across at least as many years into our future as those journals lay hidden in
our past. We will not try to predict the discoveries yet to be made within those
pages. We say only that they must be made. How can we turn our backs on our most
important inheritance? As the poet, Lon Bramlis, has said: "We are the fountain
of surprises!"

~GEoD

Did your copy of GEoD not have the Minority Report in it?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

This is fun.

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
mrpsbrk

Post by mrpsbrk »

Freakzilla wrote:Did your copy of GEoD not have the Minority Report in it?
This is Hadi Benoto's opinion.

Edit: it doesn't even talk about the Golden Path...

Edit of the Edit: do you even read those, or you just Ctrl-F?
Last edited by mrpsbrk on 11 Jun 2010 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's right! Pshaw, Freak! Pshaw I say! Pshaw! (Try it, it's fun! :P )

What is one measly quote against 30 Other quotes! Ha! Ha! Ha! And... PSHAW! :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

mrpsbrk wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Did your copy of GEoD not have the Minority Report in it?
This is Hadi Benoto's opinion.

Edit: it doesn't even talk about the Golden Path...
Well, I'm sorry, but you are not going to find a passage where Leto comes out and says, "These are the elements of the GP..." because FH assumes you are not STUPID.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I'm not taking a position here or trying to be cynical, i'm only asking the question. What's confirmation bias? I ask because I doubt that you mean what I think it means.
Last edited by D Pope on 11 Jun 2010 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm happy to take a position:

People who keep pounding away when they don't get the answer they are looking for are funny as hell. :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
mrpsbrk

Post by mrpsbrk »

D Pope wrote:I'm not taking a position here or trying to be cynical, i'm only asking the question. What's confirmational bias? I ask because I doubt that you mean what I think it means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:No Ixian machine can do what we, the descendants of Duncan
But THAT doesn't fit the search parameters!
mrpsbrk wrote: On the other hand, the search on HoD and CH:D does unearth this:
CH:D wrote:She did not reply, held to silence by his Mentat view. Golden Path: humankind "erupting" into the universe . . . never again confined to any single planet and susceptible to a singular fate. All of our eggs no longer in one basket.
Oops. All that, and it ran aground, didn't it. Even though you might've looked at the words it doesn't mean you've comprehended anything. Again, your desire to be a genius has led you to create a theory without bothering to figure anything out. Actually, there isn't really a theory here at all, and you've ended up, as you always do, back at "I don't know... I am just asking a question. But." You pseudo-intellectual penis-face. You fart-knocker. You compulsively-masturbating, cauliflower-dicked, cock-mangler.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Oh! Smart! New to me. Very glad it's not what I thought it was.
Last edited by D Pope on 11 Jun 2010 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
mrpsbrk

Post by mrpsbrk »

Freakzilla wrote:Well, I'm sorry, but you are not going to find a passage where Leto comes out and says, "These are the elements of the GP..." because FH assumes you are not STUPID.
But, actually, you DO find those quotes. Actually, He says a lot of things. If you want a plain, hardly disputable view, you have to go with Siona is the GP. He spells it out in no uncertain terms. He also says that it is a "lesson your bones will remember". And if you like those books enough to DIG into what they MEAN, then we could actually EXPLORE what is that "lesson", instead of accusing each other of not reading the books.

For example:
COD wrote:Leto spoke in a conversational tone, masking his own tensions, the balancing effort this other-level contest required. "I have no passionate belief in truth, no faith other than what I create," he said. And he felt then a movement between himself and his father, something with granular characteristics which touched only Leto's own passionately subjective belief in himself. By such belief he knew that he posted the markers of the Golden Path. Someday such markers could tell others how to be human, a strange gift from a creature who no longer would be human on that day. But these markers were always set in place by gamblers. Leto felt them scattered throughout the landscape of his inner lives and, feeling this, poised himself for the ultimate gamble.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:No Ixian machine can do what we, the descendants of Duncan
But THAT doesn't fit the search parameters!
My bad!
mrpsbrk wrote: On the other hand, the search on HoD and CH:D does unearth this:
But it's not called "The Scattering" in that quote. :lol:
Oops. All that, and it ran aground, didn't it. Even though you might've looked at the words it doesn't mean you've comprehended anything. Again, your desire to be a genius has led you to create a theory without bothering to figure anything out. Actually, there isn't really a theory here at all, and you've ended up, as you always do, back at "I don't know... I am just asking a question. But." You pseudo-intellectual penis-face. You fart-knocker. You compulsively-masturbating, cauliflower-dicked, cock-mangler.
Go easy, Leonard...
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

mrpsbrk wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Well, I'm sorry, but you are not going to find a passage where Leto comes out and says, "These are the elements of the GP..." because FH assumes you are not STUPID.
But, actually, you DO find those quotes. Actually, He says a lot of things. If you want a plain, hardly disputable view, you have to go with Siona is the GP. He spells it out in no uncertain terms. He also says that it is a "lesson your bones will remember". And if you like those books enough to DIG into what they MEAN, then we could actually EXPLORE what is that "lesson", instead of accusing each other of not reading the books.

For example:
COD wrote:Leto spoke in a conversational tone, masking his own tensions, the balancing effort this other-level contest required. "I have no passionate belief in truth, no faith other than what I create," he said. And he felt then a movement between himself and his father, something with granular characteristics which touched only Leto's own passionately subjective belief in himself. By such belief he knew that he posted the markers of the Golden Path. Someday such markers could tell others how to be human, a strange gift from a creature who no longer would be human on that day. But these markers were always set in place by gamblers. Leto felt them scattered throughout the landscape of his inner lives and, feeling this, poised himself for the ultimate gamble.
OK. I'm going to explain this to you ONE MORE TIME...

Siona is the GP because the prescient cannot see her nor her descendants. This allows humanity to SCATTER to where they can't all be found.

I'm done with this guy...
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nobody is saying those are the only components to the GP, just the main ones.

While ensuring humanities survival he also tries to teach other lessons, which you seem to have found.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote: Go easy, Leonard...
:)
Thodol

Post by Thodol »

I now understand why nu-dune sells. How someone willing to dedicate the time in an attempt to refute the obvious. While simply being unable to grasp even the most basic premise of the topic is astounding. And on top of that being snotty? Arrogance and stupidity horrid combination.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

mrpsbrk wrote:So, what do i make of that?
I think that we already know what you think of that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia#Signs_and_symptoms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think you're also missing the aspect that GEoD *gradually reveals* the nature of the Golden Path to the reader. There's no passage in which Leto says "And now, Duncan, the time has come to tell you *exactly* what the Golden Path is, and how it will succeed ...", because FH has us discover that for ourselves. We have to put the pieces together - the Siona gene, the Ixian navigation machines, the response of a suddenly-unfettered humanity after 3500 years of tyranny.

Throughout the book, Leto isn't so much describing the mechanisms of the Golden Path as the reasons for it and what it will do. In broad terms, because FH doesn't want to give the game away too soon.

The passages at the end of GEoD, Hod and CH:D *confirm* what the reader should have already discovered.

And for the last time, the GP is not *just* about distance or numbers. It's about what the Scattering *gains* you, and about what its effects are.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

SandChigger wrote:
mrpsbrk wrote:Geez, come on, the "controlled by a single power" thing adds a lot of wrinkles to the whole shebang!
You're a fucking moron. Seriously.

Since pulling it out is obviously no longer an option, why don't you try shoving your head even further up your ass? Who knows, you might be able to force it back out between your shoulders again! Wouldn't that be something for the annals! :lol:
I just laughed for five minites.

:D :clap:

Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Thufferin' Thucotash, not the Bene Gesserith again!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, darn! I saw this thread in the new posts results and thought mrpork had come back! :(

I was looking forward to ignoring him! :lol:
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

mrpsbrk wrote:
Besides, it is not completely fair to say that the BG didn't try. They for example put a lot of effort into a breeding program and into religion engineering -- tools that Leto would then just take for himself. They were trying to "mature humanity", so, even if they did not start the scattering, they did work in some directions that Leto approved of, as He Himself said.
The goal of the breeding program was not the same as that of the Golden Path. The breeding program focused on tool creation. The golden path was concerned with creating the new - that which institutions like the Bene Gesserit fought tooth and nail against. The Bene Gesserit are targeted by the GP's aims as well.

Leto II clearly knew that.

Gah I hope I am not making assumptions, but that statement really gets on my nerves.
Trying doesn't count here.
Robspierre wrote:The Golden Path could not have guardians. It was designed in such a way that it would continue on despite the best efforts of guardians to guide it. That was part of the point of the GP. No matter who tried to interfere and for what reasons the GP would still take place.

Rob
You know, I just have to :clap: for you for that.

mrpsbrk wrote: It is NOT a speculation. I am just asking for a quote. Can you provide one? Can i take that as a no?

That infuriates me - do you lack the capacity to investigate for yourself. DO IT MISTER!
Freakzilla wrote: Siona is the GP because the prescient cannot see her nor her descendants. This allows humanity to SCATTER to where they can't all be found.
This reminds me to reread Heretics since I was terribly mind fucked by the Anderson travesties in HOD(that book made me realize how screwed up him and his buddy Brian were in their approach to the story). That statement makes a lot of sense when I remember certain scenes in the book - only vaguely though. Would it be accurate to say that she is the embodiment of what his plan strove to achieve? I suppose I must answer that for myself by rereading it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Siona is the GP because the prescient cannot see her nor her descendants. This allows humanity to SCATTER to where they can't all be found.
This reminds me to reread Heretics since I was terribly mind fucked by the Anderson travesties in HOD(that book made me realize how screwed up him and his buddy Brian were in their approach to the story). That statement makes a lot of sense when I remember certain scenes in the book - only vaguely though. Would it be accurate to say that she is the embodiment of what his plan strove to achieve? I suppose I must answer that for myself by rereading it.
Well, of course.

The Lord Leto said, "See that you do. Tell your Sisters also that the Bene
Gesserit of all people should know the dangers of breeding for a particular
characteristic, of seeking a defined genetic goal."
Sister Chenoeh says this was an obvious reference to the Lord Leto's father,
Paul Atreides. Let it be noted that our breeding program achieved the Kwisatz
Haderach one generation early. In becoming Muad'Dib, the leader of the Fremen,
Paul Atreides escaped from our control. There is no doubt that he was a male
with the powers of a Reverend Mother and other powers for which humankind still
is paying a heavy price. As the Lord Leto said:
"You got the unexpected. You got me, the wild card. And I have achieved Siona."

~GEoD
~Pink Snowman