The Craft of Writing 490

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sev

Re: The Craft of Writing (Work in Progress)

Post by Sev »

Mandy wrote:His idea of knowing when to stop probably means knowing when to stop editing and just send the crap off to the publisher.
You're right, he was talking about that - I just wanted an excuse to have a pop at the bastard... :mad:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sev wrote:Apparently to be a better writer, he's always seeking out new experiences, learning new skills, going to new places.
Yeah, the kafir fuck has been to both Egypt and the UAE within the last few years but there's no evidence he's added any ARABIC to his skill set. :evil:

(Is there any evidence that he knows any language besides English? Supposedly he minored in Russian History... :roll: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:
Sev wrote:Apparently to be a better writer, he's always seeking out new experiences, learning new skills, going to new places.
Yeah, the kafir fuck has been to both Egypt and the UAE within the last few years but there's no evidence he's added any ARABIC to his skill set. :evil:

(Is there any evidence that he knows any language besides English? Supposedly he minored in Russian History... :roll: )
You call what he writes English?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Is there any evidence that he knows any language besides English? ...
Zero that I know of.

And it's a guarantee that if Anderhack actually did have fluency in any other language, he would mention that fact constantly. He'd probably even do cutesy stuff like write the occasional Twatter post in a foreign language, for no good reason at all.

No, he's got English, and that's it. And that's one that he can speak, but definitely not write ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Because he doesn't actually write, he talks into a recorder!! :laughing:
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

ZING! :lol:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:
That's a bit of a double meaning on this site isn't it? :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I really have no idea what you could mean...

;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

AWESOME!

I will send you my credit card number now!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Damn, I thought Sandokan had finally joined.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/to ... ge__st__40

Post #60

Bold to add my emphasis.
I went to a panel he sat on this weekend at CoSine here in colorado springs. The panel was called, 'Should writers read in their genre?'.
I didn't know much about good old Kevin J, other than some Star Wars novels i read when i was 12 and the general distaste everyone has for him due to the Dune novels (i tried reading one and couldn't finish).
Anywho, when asked about his opinion on the subject of the panel he said, and i'm not making this shit up: "Well, I'm kind of a big name in Sci Fi, so i get a lot of stories out of slush piles for the anthologies i'm asked to edit, and new authors wanting me to read their work. I rarely read them. I really only interested in the things i'm working on, and the books i'm writing. So, no, i don't read within the genre if i can help it.'

I thought he was just fucking around, but as the panel went on, and questions were thrown at him, i realized that this guy really takes himself seriously. He doesn't realize that he is one of the most hated authors in our little corner of the world, and that his entire career is based on him writing about shit that he didn't make up (For Fuck's sake, he even ripped of L. Ron Hubbard, you can't get much lower than that). Only attempting to continue a story that has already been established, and not doing very well at it anymore.

So ya, fuck Kevin J. Anderson.

Rob
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Some more goodness from later on in the thread.

Galactus, on 28 January 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:
To be fair, a lot of authors don't read other fantasy for fear of being sued.

Indeed. This came up during the panel as well. For fear of being 'influenced' by what they are reading. Connie Willis stated that she reads absolute /nothing/ when she is writing something (other than reference material).

That wasn't the vibe I got from old Kevin J. More to the affect that he just doesn't rate anyone else's shit that high. The guy just came off dickish and very self important. The mother-fucker cut off Mrs. Willis (Sci-Fi Bad Ass) once for FSM sake!
Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Is there anything in that which comes as a surprise? ;)

Did you notice this on the next page, in reference to the comment you quoted (well, url'ed :P )?
Which is what Asshat has said repeatedly, that he won't read any unsolicited manuscripts sent to him, to protect himself. (Because, after all, it's all about HIM.)

Who else was on that panel, I wonder. I wonder if they gave the same sort of shithead answer?

I also wonder if this isn't him trying to deny claims that he has pinched most of the ideas in his books from other authors.

Well, here's how that plays: even IFF he didn't lift the ideas, he merely reinvented the wheel AFTER someone else had come up with it. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, the first guy responds on page 5 (#83):
Indeed. This came up during the panel as well. For fear of being 'influenced' by what they are reading. Connie Willis stated that she reads absolute /nothing/ when she is writing something (other than reference material).

That wasn't the vibe I got from old Kevin J. More to the affect that he just doesn't rate anyone else's shit that high. The guy just came off dickish and very self important. The mother-fucker cut off Mrs. Willis (Sci-Fi Bad Ass) once for FSM sake!
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Robspierre wrote:http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/to ... ge__st__40

Post #60

Bold to add my emphasis.
I went to a panel he sat on this weekend at CoSine here in colorado springs. The panel was called, 'Should writers read in their genre?'.
I didn't know much about good old Kevin J, other than some Star Wars novels i read when i was 12 and the general distaste everyone has for him due to the Dune novels (i tried reading one and couldn't finish).
Anywho, when asked about his opinion on the subject of the panel he said, and i'm not making this shit up: "Well, I'm kind of a big name in Sci Fi, so i get a lot of stories out of slush piles for the anthologies i'm asked to edit, and new authors wanting me to read their work. I rarely read them. I really only interested in the things i'm working on, and the books i'm writing. So, no, i don't read within the genre if i can help it.'

I thought he was just fucking around, but as the panel went on, and questions were thrown at him, i realized that this guy really takes himself seriously. He doesn't realize that he is one of the most hated authors in our little corner of the world, and that his entire career is based on him writing about shit that he didn't make up (For Fuck's sake, he even ripped of L. Ron Hubbard, you can't get much lower than that). Only attempting to continue a story that has already been established, and not doing very well at it anymore.

So ya, fuck Kevin J. Anderson.

Rob
Dear God, I had almost thought he'd been kidding too, but since he's serious.... :crazy:
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

He's like a parody of a real person.
Sev

Post by Sev »

A delusional hack wrote:Well, I'm kind of a big name in Sci Fi...
Bloody hell, he really believes this doesn't he :laughing:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

TheDukester wrote:He's like a parody of a real person.
Would you mind very much if I used that in my signature, Dukester? The funny in Ivans disclaimer is wearing thin. You know, that was actually part of an e-mail he wrote to me about securing rights to some old movie images for a book idea I had.

[Big smiley in the buddy-christ pose]
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

One is happy to be of service. It's all yours.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Sev wrote:
A delusional hack wrote:Well, I'm kind of a big name in Sci Fi...
Bloody hell, he really believes this doesn't he :laughing:
It's akin to saying Andrei Chikatilo is a big name in criminology, it's not a fucking compliment you stain of a man, fucking chocolate fireguard.

I've been on the fence about this for a while, but I'm sure now. He is a Dog wanker.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

:shock:

Um... that just made me think of Cesar Millan. And not in a good way. :(

Eeeeew.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Re: Big name in SF, etc.

My God, it's full of douchebaggery!

Re: interrupting Connie Willis.

Ah, that might explain his behaviour. See, I'm thinking KJA can recognize a real writer. I've read some of Willis's stuff, and while it's a bit wordy, and her time travel series has become a bit repetitive, she can write.

Now, KJA would like to think he's one of her peers, or - God help him - that he's a class above her because of all his bestsellers while she's taken nine years to write her latest novel. But he knows she's won handful of Hugos, and that he doesn't deserve to be on the same panel as her.

So of course he acted like a complete ass.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Good points. ;)

While reading more Reynolds this morning it also occurred to me that one other reason he might not read too much in the genre is that it would be difficult not to realize how much better so many other people write than he himself can. That would fit nicely with your point about him being able to recognize such people.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

True enough.

I was also thinking about his "big name in sf" comment. His insecurity might have been showing ;).

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks