Favorite quotes from the Dune books

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

D Pope

Favorite quotes from the Dune books

Post by D Pope »

Rereading GEoD last night & couldn't help thinking of KJA when I tripped over this little gem.

"Tremble only if you build false accounts and stand pridefully upon them."
and
"Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you."

I'm going to limit myself to adding new quotes as I come across them, please don't follow this example. Lets hear your best of His best!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Favorite quotes from the Dune books

Post by Freakzilla »

"If you put away those who report accurately, you'll keep only those who
know what you want to hear," Jessica said, her voice sweet. "I can think of
nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflections."

~CoD
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

VICIOUS! :twisted:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Damn, Freak beat me to it! :lol:

D Pope, I'm going to go Twit that first one at KJA and DuneNovels. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A diamond thunderbolt shattered him.
~Leto's "Worm Trip", CoD
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Abandon all sanity ye who enter here.
~Teg, CH:D
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SandChigger wrote:Damn, Freak beat me to it! :lol:

D Pope, I'm going to go Twit that first one at KJA and DuneNovels. ;)

Thanks mate!
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

"There is my little multitude and they tell me everything. Do not deny my accusation."

GEoD, Leto II to Sister Chenoeh.

Seems to fit nicely. Then a few pages later...

"Take it and you become part of both past and future. Soil it and the past will give you no future."

Leto II to Nayla, when he gave her the crysknife.
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

"Privelege becomes arrogance. Arrogance promotes injustice. The seeds of ruin blossom."
GEoD
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

Safaris through ancestral memories teach me many things. The patterns, ahhh, the
patterns Liberal bigots are the ones who trouble me most. I distrust the
extremes. Scratch a conservative and you find someone who prefers the past over
any future. Scratch a liberal and find a closet aristocrat. It's true! Liberal
governments always develop into aristocracies The bureaucracies betray the true
intent of people who form such governments. Right from the first, the little
people who formed the governments which promised to equalize the social burdens
found themselves suddenly in the hands of bureaucratic aristocracies. Of course,
all bureaucracies follow this pattern. but what a hypocrisy to find this even
under a communized banner Ahhh, well, if patterns teach me anything it's that
patterns are repeated. My oppressions. by and large, are no worse than any of
the others and, at least. I teach a new lesson.
-The Stolen Journals
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I'm straying from my formula here but can any one place this partial quote? Something like;
"Those who pursue freedom are enslaved by thier passions, those who pursue discipline find freedom."
-Omphalos
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

D Pope wrote:I'm straying from my formula here but can any one place this partial quote? Something like;
"Those who pursue freedom are enslaved by thier passions, those who pursue discipline find freedom."
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

I'm pretty sure that's it; one of my favourites.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

where's it from?
-Omphalos
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Chapterhouse: Dune; it's attributed to 'The Coda'.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Thanks mate! I've had that in the back of my mind so long I can't remember not knowing it.
-Omphalos
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I'm feeling a bit lazy so I'll just copy-paste my post from FED2k:

To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
- The Amtal Rule

Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know.
- Zensunni koan

Uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be seen. More questions!
- Mentat Zensufi

Answers are a perilous grip on the universe. They can appear sensible yet explain nothing.
- The Zensunni Whip

Assumptions built on ideas of ‘understanding’ assail us from all sides. Such assumptions place a faith in words stronger than that promoted by organized religions. It is a faith seldom questioned. The very act of saying that things exist that cannot be described shakes a universe where words and the systems of transmitting them are the ultimate god.
- The Zensunni Warning

Education is no substitute for intelligence. That elusive quality is defined only in part by puzzle-solving ability. It is in the creation of new puzzles reflecting what your senses report that you round out the definition.
-Mentat Text One (decto)

The mind imposes this framework which it calls 'reality'. That arbitrary framework has a tendency to be quite independent of what your senses report.
- Paul Muad'Dib

Anything can be a tool - poverty, war. War is useful because it is effective in so many areas. It stimulates the metabolism. It enforces government. It diffuses genetic strains. It possesses a vitality such as nothing else in the universe. Only those who recognize the value of war and exercise it have any degree of self-determination.
- Bijaz of the Tleilaxu

The trouble with some kinds of warfare (and be certain the Tyrant knew this, because it is implicit in his lesson) is that they destroy all moral decency in susceptible types. Warfare of these kinds will dump the destroyed survivors back into an innocent population that is incapable of even imagining what such returned soldiers might do.
- Teachings of the Golden Path, Bene Gesserit Archives

And one of my recent favourites:

Leto said: "[...] You know, Moneo, once tens of thousands of years ago when I was another person, I made a mistake."

"You, a mistake?" Malky mocked.

Leto merely smiled. "My mistake was compounded by the beautiful way in which I expressed it."

"Tricks with words," Malky taunted.

"Indeed! This is what I said: 'The present is distraction; the future a dream; only memory can unlock the meaning of life.' Aren't those beautiful words, Malky?"

"Exquisite, old worm."

Moneo put a hand over his mouth.

"But my words were a foolish lie," Leto said. "I knew it at the time, but I was infatuated with the beautiful words. No - memory unlocks no meanings. Without anguish of the spirit, which is a wordless experience, there are no meanings anywhere."
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

I don't remember which reverend mother from which book said this but, "...power attracts the corruptible..."
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:I don't remember which reverend mother from which book said this but, "...power attracts the corruptible..."
Power attracts the corruptible. Suspect all who seek it. --Chapterhouse: Dune

I had to search for that one. I know he referenced the more than once in interviews/essays etc, but I'd forgotten he actually wrote it in a Dune book. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

DuneFishUK wrote:
tenfingersofdoom wrote:I don't remember which reverend mother from which book said this but, "...power attracts the corruptible..."
Power attracts the corruptible. Suspect all who seek it. --Chapterhouse: Dune

I had to search for that one. I know he referenced the more than once in interviews/essays etc, but I'd forgotten he actually wrote it in a Dune book. :)
This one itself being a reference/elaboration on Lord Acton's Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I believe Frank referenced this proverbial saying more than once throughout the hexalogy.

Another nice quote, from Chapterhouse:
"Share witness," her guide said. "You see what our ancestors have done. They debase the worst curse you can invent. Don't make excuses about necessities of the times! Just remember: There are no innocents!"

Ugly! Ugly!
trang

Post by trang »

"Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than initiative, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvments always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?"

A guide to Trial and Error in Government - Bene Gesserit Archives.

a favortie and timely I thought for the governmental mess we are in right now:)

Enjoy.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

From GEoD:

"I already have good administrators - uncorruptible, sagacious, philosophical and open about their errors, quick to see decisions."

"They were rebels?"

"Most of them."

"How are they chosen?"

"I could say they chose themselves."

"By surviving?"

"That, too. But there's more. The difference between a good administrator and a bad one is about five heartbeats. Good administrators make immediate choices."

"Acceptable choices?"

"They usually can be made to work. A bad administrator, on the other hand, hesitates, diddles around, asks for committees, for research and reports. Eventually, he acts in ways which create serious problems."

"But don't they sometimes need more information to make. . .

"A bad administrator is more concerned with reports than with decisions. He wants the hard record which he can display as an excuse for his errors."

"And good administrators?"

"Oh, they depend on verbal orders. They never lie about what they've done if their verbal orders cause problems, and they surround themselves with people able to act wisely on the basis of verbal orders. Often, the most important piece of information is that something has gone wrong. Bad administrators hide their mistakes until it's too late to make corrections."

Leto watched her as she thought about the people who served him, especially about Moneo.

"Men of decision," she said.

"One of the hardest things for a tyrant to find," he said, "is people who actually make decisions."

"Doesn't your intimate knowledge of the past give you some..."

"It gives me some amusement. Most bureaucracies before mine sought out and promoted people who avoided decisions."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Aboslutely perfect! I was going to add that. I know I said earlier I wouldn't do this--In Dune, Paul remembers his fathers advice, "Give as few orders as possible..." & that jibes wonderfully with(somthing like) "A rulers job is to maintain the level of individuals, too few & the people revert to a mob." The consistancy is amazing! Leto II is almost saying the same thing there.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"Give as few orders as possible," his father had told him . . . once . . .
long ago. "Once you've given orders on a subject, you must always give orders on
that subject."
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I use that line at work all of the time.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:I use that line at work all of the time.
I've found that theory doesn't work as well with children.
~Pink Snowman