One more(possible) down side to a new Dune movie

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Dr. Why

One more(possible) down side to a new Dune movie

Post by Dr. Why »

I was thinking just now that one bad thing about a new 'Dune' movie would be a novelization of the film. Who would be better in the HLP's eyes to handle such a novelization then KJA? If so, would KJA resist making the story fit in his deranged Dune universe? I doubt it. I also doubt he would argue against making a novelization, if anything he would argue it is necessary to make the 'complicated' nature of Dune comprehensible to every Jack and Jill on the street. Just this thought sends shudders down my spine.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: One more(possible) down side to a new Dune movie

Post by SandChigger »

Great minds think alike. :D

(The idea of KJA doing the movie novelization has actually been going around here for a while now. Proves your one of us. :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Dr. Why

Post by Dr. Why »

SandChigger wrote:Great minds think alike. :D

(That one has actually been going around here for a while now. Proves your one of us. :lol: )
haha :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Sorry, must have been editing while you were posting! :oops: )
Dr. Why

Post by Dr. Why »

Tis quite alright. Oh yeah, could you point me to where KJA and Brian said that Dune was an in-universe work? I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday about it and he was quite astounded, so I would like to show him straight from the horse's mouth.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

(The idea of KJA doing the movie novelization has actually been going around here for a while now. Proves your one of us. :lol: )
:shock:

SandChigger is Onasander? :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleszer wrote:

I say we hang him! :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dr. Why wrote:Oh yeah, could you point me to where KJA and Brian said that Dune was an in-universe work? I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday about it and he was quite astounded, so I would like to show him straight from the horse's mouth.
I think that was from an interview... anyone have it?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:
Dr. Why wrote:Oh yeah, could you point me to where KJA and Brian said that Dune was an in-universe work? I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday about it and he was quite astounded, so I would like to show him straight from the horse's mouth.
I think that was from an interview... anyone have it?

Wasn't it from one of the epigraphs in Paulina of Dune? Irulan saying something to the effect that history is written by the victors or some such nonsense?

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think it was in the sample chapter for Winds that Paul and Jessica were having a conversation about it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Omphalos wrote:I think it was in the sample chapter for Winds that Paul and Jessica were having a conversation about it.

The following e-mail dialogue from Hairy Ticks of Dune, between Sandchigger and KJA, is what prompted me to seek out this website:
Kevin J. Anderson wrote: Your complaints have been incessant, but that one is even sillier than most. It doesn’t seem possible you could ask such a question having actually read PAUL OF DUNE, which is about the inaccuracies and liberties taken in Irulan’s purported histories of Muad’Dib. This is addressed several times in the novel, but most specifically to your question, see pp 102-103:

One morning she went to Paul’s Imperial office to talk with him, holding a first-edition of The Life of Muad’Dib. She dropped the deep blue volume on his desktop, a plane of polished Elaccan bloodwood. “Exactly how much is missing from this story? I’ve been talking with Bludd. In your accounts of your life, you left out vital details.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Your publication has defined my life’s story.”

“You told me you had never left Caladan before your House moved to Arrakis. Whole parts of your youth have been left out.”

“Painful parts.” He frowned at her. “But, more importantly, irrelevant parts. We’ve streamlined the story for mass consumption, just as when you wrote that I was born on Caladan and not Kaitain. It sounds better that way, doesn’t it? We eliminated unnecessary complications, cut off unnecessary questions and explanations.”

She could not hide her frustration. “Sometimes the truth is complicated.”

“Yes, it is.”

“But if I tell a part of the story that directly contradicts what has been published before –“

“If you write it, they will believe it. Trust me.”

Come on, at least TRY to look for an answer before railing about the books. Rest assured, though, that Brian and I will keep writing the novels, and keep writing them, for as long as it takes until you are completely satisfied. You give us the incentive to keep the series going for many years to come.
Sandchigger wrote: So your position really is that the entire narrative text of Dune and all of Frank’s books was also written by Irulan?

Simple question, simple answer: Yes or No.

And Keith didn't write back. (The answer is "Yes," by the way). The level of arrogance is off the charts, not to mention that it's all so incredibly lame.

Although, the sentence "He raised his eyebrows" is good writing. I feel like I'm raising my own eyebrows when I read that. Suddenly I'm there, inside the mind of Muad'Dib. I was like, "Wait a minute... am I the Kwisatz Haderach?"
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:

Damn! I new I should of proofed that! :twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Dr. Why wrote:Tis quite alright. Oh yeah, could you point me to where KJA and Brian said that Dune was an in-universe work? I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday about it and he was quite astounded, so I would like to show him straight from the horse's mouth.
Basically already answered by merkin muffley above. :)

They have never come out and publicly stated that Frank Herbert's books are now to be considered in-universe texts, but there is no other conclusion possible from what they have written and what they are doing. Sure, in Paul of Dune they're currently calling it The Life of Muad'Dib, but it's just Dune by another name.

That may be the real meaning of this epigraph from PoD,
Arrakis: Men saw great danger there, and great opportunity.
—the PRINCESS IRULAN, entry in Paul of Dune
EVERYTHING may now be supposed to be an in-universe text. So if there are errors and inconsistencies, Irulan's to blame, or Alia's meddling editors, or some other in-universe author-character who is as unable as FH in his grave to defend the text.

Kevin J. Anderson is a coward. And Brian Herbert is even less of a man, hiding behind his supposed phobias.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I wish he'd answered the question, a yes would be irrevocably damning.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:I wish he'd answered the question, a yes would be irrevocably damning.
I like that the defense is: "But Irulan lied, of course. It's right there, in my shit book! Didn't you even read it?"

I suspect that he didn't realize the implications of what he was saying. I actually think he got cornered, because it's as good as a yes. I think there's a lot of evidence that he doesn't think too hard about the stuff he writes. He probably thinks Animal Farm is just a nice story about talking animals. Why didn't they write any prequels or sequels?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

merkin muffley wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I wish he'd answered the question, a yes would be irrevocably damning.
I like that the defense is: "But Irulan lied, of course. It's right there, in my shit book! Didn't you even read it?"

I suspect that he didn't realize the implications of what he was saying. I actually think he got cornered, because it's as good as a yes. I think there's a lot of evidence that he doesn't think too hard about the stuff he writes. He probably thinks Animal Farm is just a nice story about talking animals. Why didn't they write any prequels or sequels?
absolutely!
Unless the keith suffers from the multiple personalities disorder, he's basically saying "Your honor to prove that I am innocent I will call my main witness, one that is above all personal implication in this case, and that witness is myself(so fuck you)."
And he expects anyone to take him seriously after that?

How low can one stoop? I personally trust the hack to show us how... and that is the only time I will trust him!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

This is really a brilliant piece of bullshitting by KJA and Brian. Now they can write whatever they like in the Dune Universe, and it's all "well, Irulan made it up." On the other hand, what happens to all the books after Irulan's death? Are GEoD, HoD, and CH:D, not to mention the sequels, the real truth? Are the prequels just Irulan's made-up "streamlining" too? This is like writing a sequel to Moby Dick, and saying that Ishmael was just making it up, "for mass consumption."
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

RedHeadKevin wrote:This is like writing a sequel to Moby Dick, and saying that Ishmael was just making it up, "for mass consumption."
Stop giving him ideas. :(
~Pink Snowman
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

Why not? Everyone knows that the "true" story of Moby Dick didn't even involve a whale. It was just that Captain Ahab got lost while sailing around New England and everyone mutinied and made up a story about a giant "whale" that dragged him off the ship. Later, Starbuck and Queequeg had a torrid affair, which was deemed too steamy to include in a Victorian-era novel.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
lotek

Post by lotek »

RedHeadKevin wrote: It was just that Captain Ahab got lost while sailing around New England
Spice is the worm's gonads.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I doubt there'll be novelization as such... but there will be a Dune Storybook, or Picturebook tie in (like there was for the 84 film).

50p says the in-house hack will write :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

DuneFishUK wrote:I doubt there'll be novelization as such... but there will be a Dune Storybook, or Picturebook tie in (like there was for the 84 film).

That would serve Byron right as that seemed to be his plan all along.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nekhrun wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:I doubt there'll be novelization as such... but there will be a Dune Storybook, or Picturebook tie in (like there was for the 84 film).

That would serve Byron right as that seemed to be his plan all along.
Actually... I forgot about Byron (Like everyone else). :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You mean Hyron Baha? :laughing:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

lotek wrote:
RedHeadKevin wrote: It was just that Captain Ahab got lost while sailing around New England
I'm reminded of the Blackadder 2 episode with Tom Baker for some reason.