Hellhole Website now up

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Hellhole Website now up

Post by TheDukester »

From some random tool on Amazon:

"I got an advance reader copy of HELLHOLE and it is really great. A lot of interesting plots and subplots. I love science fiction. I read a lot, over 700 books since 2001, weird to think that is around 1 to 2 books a week. Hellhole is very interesting."

And so it begins ... :twisted:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Was that one of those kid's reviews? ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

It's starting to get rich now:

http://amzn.to/9b5qc2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, I was just saying how much I miss those classic Amazon flame-wars! :dance:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Wow... does she have her head up her perschwanky or what? :roll:
Dude, you are so out of your league on this. I don't belong to any Special Forces group. I have been involved in Science Fiction Fandom since the early 1980s, used to attend LasFas, was a member of L-5, and worked in comics and publishing. Been helping to put on Comic-Con since the 1980s. I don't need to name drop because everyone knows who I am and what I do in Fandom. I will think of you tonight when I look at my autograph from Heinlein. Ooops, that me again, name dropping.

And you are?
And I am... someone who is totally in awe at the site of another bint proving you don't have to have a dick to be one.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I love name-dropping. Especially by someone who doesn't even claim to have actually done anything herself. She has a lot of people's autographs. Very prestigious.

And she's going to think about me when she looks at her autograph of Heinlein tonight, which is pretty sexy.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Some people just don't have any standards. The difference between Heinlein and Anderson is that Heinlein will be fondly remembered in the next century whereas Anderson's name will be responded with "Who?"
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Or, "Yea, I read Tau Zero."

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Or, "Yea, I read Tau Zero."
Word.

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

"I have been involved in Science Fiction Fandom since the early 1980s ..."
Oh, someone involved in *fandom*? Well, excuse me. I guess someone who has only *read* SF since the early 1980s, I can't have an opinion about what constitutes good SF *writing*?

HBJ,
irritable, and posting after three beers, which is never a good idea. Please be tolerant.
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, Christ, it turns out to be that fucking Lilith, queen of the Loony Toons. My God, she is annoying.

(She's the perfect KJA fan, though: not too smart, simple outlook, never questions or criticizes, will never read anything more challenging than Spanky's Lots of Suns series)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

TheDukester wrote:Spanky's Lots of Suns series
Nice! :lol:

One of these days we're going to forget what they're actually called. :dance:

Was she "Lilith" last year when you crossed paths with her (on the review for The Road)? Or does she have multiple accounts?

(I really don't get what's up with the name changes on accounts... don't the idiots realize the system will change the name on all of their posts? Do they think someone coming to the thread later won't be able to figure it out? There are really some STUPID people out there, huh? :shock: )
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

She's a complete moron.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um... yep. :lol:
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

TheDukester wrote:It's starting to get rich now:

http://amzn.to/9b5qc2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, I was just saying how much I miss those classic Amazon flame-wars! :dance:
I have to say, Dukester, that although I found The Road to be very well written, and a very well executed piece of art on a purely objective level, I didn't enjoy it (nor the film version, which I wish I hadn't watched) very much at all. I found it too depressing and negative, and it played on a father's worst fear -- having to kill his own child to save it from an even worse fate -- about 50 times too many for my taste.

I wouldn't have given it a one-star review, granted.....but I just didn't find it as enjoyable as, shall we say, "gentler" books. I'm all for intensity; I just need more of a payoff at the end for all that the story put me through, IMHO.

Not that I'm defending Lilith/Clydene.....but, me being me, I have a painful tendency to be able to see both sides of any conflict. That tendency has gotten me into no small amount of trouble over the years, particularly when debating things in web forums. Hopefully it won't doom my creative efforts to similar deadlock :-(
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, hell, I was just using her review as a stick to beat her over the head with. Frankly, I found The Road to be pretty dark, too, especially after starting a family a few years ago.

I have no intention at all of fighting fairly with her; this is the continuation of a looooong argument from previous McDunes. This is the type of person who considers "Well, how many books have you sold?" to be the absolute height of logical expression. And she's a dumbass who actually talks down to other people — I might not have a bigger pet-peeve in the world. It's one thing to be a dumbass — the world is full of those — but you do not get to be condescending to others. That's the rule.

My goal is to make her cry.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I recently read No Country For Old Men (which I liked a lot), and think I've read some Cormac McCarthy in the past. May have read some excerpts from The Road. It's not at the top of my list because it does seem a little too dark, I don't know.

But one thing I do know is that The Road is better than Hellhole. I also know that Clydene/Lilith is an idiot shill and that she's full of shit. I also know that Kevin J. Anderson will never win the Pulitzer Prize. These are the facts and they are undisputed.
Sev

Post by Sev »

Oh for fuck's sake - Keith's blagging that Smellhole has a starred Booklist review - big deal. The review itself reads like it was written by your average four-year-old and it ends with this humdinger of an error...
Some dipshit wrote:Herbert is, of course, the Dune guy, and considering it is regarded as one of the greatest sf novels of all time, cultists will flock to his new one.
:doh:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks for the heads-up. Just Twittered it back at him. :lol:
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Sev wrote:Oh for fuck's sake - Keith's blagging that Smellhole has a starred Booklist review - big deal. The review itself reads like it was written by your average four-year-old and it ends with this humdinger of an error...
Some dipshit wrote:Herbert is, of course, the Dune guy, and considering it is regarded as one of the greatest sf novels of all time, cultists will flock to his new one.
I think I just had an aneurysm.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The book page is FINALLY up on Amazon US.

In the Editorial Reviews section:
Review
“Herbert and Anderson create vivid characters—both human and machine—with passionate goals.”
—RT Book Reviews on Dune: The Battle of Corrin

“Filling in the gaps between the late Frank Herbert’s classic Dune and its sequels Dune Messiah and Children of Dune…this sequel to Paul of Dune is an important addition to the Dune chronology and will be in demand by Herbert fans.”
—Library Journal, starred review on The Winds of Dune
Already playing up the Dune connection. ;)

And one of the KJASF Special Fluffers has posted "My Review of Hellhole" as a discussion thread. Guess he couldn't wait for Amazon to start allowing reviews. :roll:
lotek

Post by lotek »

Kojiro wrote:
Sev wrote:Oh for fuck's sake - Keith's blagging that Smellhole has a starred Booklist review - big deal. The review itself reads like it was written by your average four-year-old and it ends with this humdinger of an error...
I think I just had an aneurysm.

me first !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vvqoxK4 ... re=related[/youtube]

NB:
in French it's spelled "anévrisme", at first glance they seem to be entirely different words but in fact they are more similar than they look.(yes I know it's only natural as they stem from the same greek root but still)

Oh and if I read correctly kja is trying to use the Dune reference to plug his hellhole ?
:whistle:

Edit to add
Hey keith your phone is ringing, maybe you should pull it out ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

TheDukester wrote:My goal is to make her cry.

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

CompleteMorons wrote:Herbert is, of course, the Dune guy, and considering it is regarded as one of the greatest sf novels of all time, cultists will flock to his new one.
The tiny little baby Jesus wept.

He really did.