Hellhole Website now up

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Robspierre

Re: Hellhole Website now up

Post by Robspierre »

Actually, it sounds like they are ripping off Spinal Tap with that title.

Rob
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Robspierre wrote:Actually, it sounds like they are ripping off Spinal Tap with that title.

Rob
Ah! Yes, of course. I missed that. There are some similarities between Spinal Tap and Kevin J. Anderson, except that KJA is a real person. Maybe this has all been an elaborate joke, or some kind of "Inception"-type torture scenario.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Me, I'm gonna hold out for SMELLHOLE IMPACT and SMELLHOLE INFERNO! :dance:

:laughing-rolling:

(No, I'm not kidding. Remember, those were the announced titles! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laughing: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Me, I'm gonna hold out for SMELLHOLE IMPACT and SMELLHOLE INFERNO! :dance:

:laughing-rolling:

(No, I'm not kidding. Remember, those were the announced titles! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laughing: )
Careful, this might not be a series, just 3 stand alone books that take place one after the other and have a related story that may or may not be published.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

merkin muffley wrote:
Robspierre wrote:Actually, it sounds like they are ripping off Spinal Tap with that title.

Rob
Ah! Yes, of course. I missed that. There are some similarities between Spinal Tap and Kevin J. Anderson, except that KJA is a real person. Maybe this has all been an elaborate joke, or some kind of "Inception"-type torture scenario.
Didn't his first co-author, Nigel Tuffnel, choke on somebody else's vomit?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

DuneFishUK wrote:Time for an upgrade :)

At least the cover looks good. I wonder who the artist is and how much they paid him to waste his talent on this.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's the one, the ONLY, Stephen Youll! TADA! :clap:
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Dear god, they must pay him 2/3rds of the profit....
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not THIS time! :lol:
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Oh, you're right... with the slumping sales these two guys are bringing in, it'll at least be 3/4ths.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Sev

Post by Sev »

The wheels have officially fallen off of this effort now - release date in the U.K. has now been pushed back from October to February, still one month ahead of its U.S. release.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Catching up on this thread.

Great work on the cover, DuneFish. Love the BH quote. :lol:
Nekhrun wrote:Careful, this might not be a series, just 3 stand alone books that take place one after the other and have a related story that may or may not be published.
:lol: Nice one.

Ah yes, Stephen Youll, the guy who was Smellholed on the Winds cover art.

Pushed back until 2011 in the UK as well? This thing is a train wreck.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sev wrote:The wheels have officially fallen off of this effort now - release date in the U.K. has now been pushed back from October to February, still one month ahead of its U.S. release.
I love it. No new Anderson or Herbert on the shelves in the calendar year 2010.

I see one of two things behind all the delays:

1. The readers of the world are speaking here, and what they're saying is: "Not interested in what these two bozos have to 'add' to the harsh-planet-with-rugged-heroes genre."

2. The editors are speaking here, and what they're saying is: "Wow, this manuscript you turned in is awful, even for you hacks. It cannot be published in its current state. Back to the drawing board, geniuses."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I doubt #1 is the cause, though a decline in interest in KJABH may be contributing to possibility #2. There's no shortage of idiots that will buy whatever these guys sell, but the publishers (you said editors... that's one HUGE assumption you're making with a KJABH book! :lol: ) could very well be looking at it and wondering why they want to publish more junk if it doesn't say DUNE on the cover.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:the publishers (you said editors... that's one HUGE assumption you're making with a KJABH book! :lol: ) could very well be looking at it and wondering why they want to publish more junk if it doesn't say DUNE on the cover.
They're totally screwed without "of DUNE" on the cover, and even more screwed with the stupid ass title "Hellhole."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

TheDukester wrote:I love it. No new Anderson or Herbert on the shelves in the calendar year 2010.
Shouldn't that be AND, not OR? KJA's put out at least three books this year: Terrier Incontinence 2: Mop Up All Things and Sturrrrrrrr Challengers: Moonface Crikeys!, plus that coffee-service Scientology writing contest thing.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

True, true.

For some reason, I was thinking that the new book in Kevin's Pew!-Pew! Sea Adventure came out in late '09. The others don't even register with me. :snooty:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, the first one came out in 2009, but this is Kevin's Puke-Puke-Puke Seasick Projectile Vomiting, the second book in the series. (And book #3, Giant Prawn Shitline in the Sand will be out next year.)

:lol:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

HAs anybody here actually read one of those Terra Incontinenta novels by TheHack? I really can not get myself to acquire a second hand copy.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I read a chapter of the first one on a recent KJA re-shelving expedition at B&N. There was a monster attacking a ship ... and it was amazingly dull. All of the minor characters died; they might as well have had on the red shirts from Star Trek. The captain (or whomever) survived, and was all captain-y.

I couldn't remember a single significant detail 10 minutes after re-shelving it behind some GURPS role-playing books.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

TheDukester wrote:I read a chapter of the first one on a recent KJA re-shelving expedition at B&N. There was a monster attacking a ship ... and it was amazingly dull. All of the minor characters died; they might as well have had on the red shirts from Star Trek. The captain (or whomever) survived, and was all captain-y.

I couldn't remember a single significant detail 10 minutes after re-shelving it behind some GURPS role-playing books.
That is enough info for me, thanks. I'll leave them where I find them. Pretty soon there will be a new culture novel ... now we are talking!

EDIT: read all about it, http://www.iain-banks.net/category/book-news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Serkanner wrote:HAs anybody here actually read one of those Terra Incontinenta novels by TheHack? I really can not get myself to acquire a second hand copy.
I have the first one. I was going to go through and make fun of it, but it was so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to read enough of it to do chapter synopses. (Yep, the only way I can read his shit is if it's McDune. It's the "hate" that provides the motivation to wade through the sewage.) I think I posted a few things about it here, somewhere.

You can see how much excitement the second volume has generated (it came out in June, I think) from the seven reviews for it on Amazon. ;)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I went over to Amazon. WOW, but nobody gives a shit about Hellhole.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

REVIEW BY PROXY, January 31, 2010
By Sandra M. Lee "Christian reader" (Missouri, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Edge of the World (Terra Incognita) (Paperback)
I have not read this book myself, but my Nephew was quite pleased with the book. He commented on the condition, as excellent. I would like to have the seller know that his description of the condition was great! I have been ordering books from you for a while,Amazon.com, and have had no problems. Thank you for providing an excellent service to the customers! S. LEE
Five Stars...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, you can see why KJA is such an accomplished author.

1) He writes many novels a year
2) He delivers them *on time*.
3) They arrive from the bookseller in great condition.

Clearly we must be haters to think he's a hack.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks